2009 design concepts

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
pipex

Re: 2009 design concepts

Thanks Ogami for the explanation, you know a lot :)

Regards
"We will have to wait and see".

Ogami musashi

The F2009 render from autosport, i quite love the design, the rear of the car seems so slipstreamed:

Scotracer

The gap between the ground and front wing is labelled as 5cm...I thought it was 7.5cm?
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

Ogami musashi

They talk about the endplates.
The 2008 limits are placed on the endplates (they can't be lower than 15cm above RP) so i think they're talking of 5cm for the 2009 endplates.
That said..i seem to recall it was actually 10cm. (so yes endplates are to be higher than the main section).
...need to check.

Scotracer

What I know is that the middle section of the wing (most of the span) is 75mm above RP and the endplates are 100mm above RP. Hmm.

pipex

I don't know if this is right or wrong, but i've been wondering if the car "air disturbance" could be treated as a objective in the design of the car (not only as a side effect) to prevent overtaking (i.e. make difficult for other cars to be behind mine). Could this be possible?
"We will have to wait and see".

sunny1304

is the ferrari nose whole is allowed per rule for 2009 ??

Ogami musashi

pipex wrote:I don't know if this is right or wrong, but i've been wondering if the car "air disturbance" could be treated as a objective in the design of the car (not only as a side effect) to prevent overtaking (i.e. make difficult for other cars to be behind mine). Could this be possible?
That would be a good. Actually that shows the problem is far from being only technical; No team has any interest in making a cleaner wake so you would need to put something into sporting regs to make it worth.

On the other side some teams worked on the performance of the car in the wake of another because obviously when you're stuck behind someone this is a major problem.

I think works will still continue and in this case i think we have here some relevant work because if someone is able to make more stable aerodynamics, that can serve many applications.

So it would be good to make teams work on cleaner wake while working of drivable cars in wake situations so the question of the OWG arises especially since any solution from the OWG is inevitably a restriction on performance differentiators I.E the technical freedom is limited to be sure the goals are achieved.
sunny1304 wrote:is the ferrari nose whole is allowed per rule for 2009 ??
No and it would be of no use as the central section of the front wing do not produces downforce thus do not produce an upwash.

djos

Ogami musashi wrote:The F2009 render from autosport, i quite love the design, the rear of the car seems so slipstreamed:

Im still getting used to the high & narrow rear wing but luv the clean design and big low front wing! I cant wait for the 2009 cars to start testing so we can drool over the sleek new designs!!! 8)
"In downforce we trust"

Conceptual

I think the front wing in that render looks retarded.

Why do I feel like F1 is being beaten back to the stone age with this stuff?

I will watch the start of the season no doubt, but if I start reading interviews with engineers that say the regs regressed the technology significantly, I wont be around for the end of the season...

Maybe they should just start re-running the 80's and 90's races, and kill F1 all together. That way there will be a ZERO carbon footprint, and the prehistoric technology will be acceptable.

Scotracer

Conceptual wrote:I think the front wing in that render looks retarded.

Why do I feel like F1 is being beaten back to the stone age with this stuff?

I will watch the start of the season no doubt, but if I start reading interviews with engineers that say the regs regressed the technology significantly, I wont be around for the end of the season...

Maybe they should just start re-running the 80's and 90's races, and kill F1 all together. That way there will be a ZERO carbon footprint, and the prehistoric technology will be acceptable.
The technology in the aerodynamics is exactly the same as this year, it's just being limited even more.

F1 will be no more simple next year by order of magnitude, just by application. F1 has been in a decline of technology since 1993.

And to comment on that F2009 mockup: It's BEAUTIFUL. I've not seen such a good looking F1 car in a long time. I think it looks quite squished up (like it's been slapped) at the rear but the front view is gorgeous =D>

modbaraban

The front wing endplateds are now perfectly positioned to puncture other cars' tyres in the first corner. Bravo!

And the whole front wing looks like it has been in a crash already, while rear of the car looks like it's still under construction :lol: Brilliant. Best looking F1 car for ages!

wesley123

In 2009 they will look like oversized F3 cars.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

freedom_honda

im sorry but i just can't stand the new regulations. i always find all the aero devices on the 2008 cars fascinating.
The lack of bardgeboard on the new car just looks weird. and the rear wing and front wing just looks wrong.
even GP2 got more complicated aero than F1. [-X

timbo

modbaraban wrote:The front wing endplateds are now perfectly positioned to puncture other cars' tyres in the first corner. Bravo!
Well, I remember from reading the rules that there minimum radius for all bodywork that may come in touch with tyres.