Vodaphone McLaren Mercedes MP4-24

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Vodaphone McLaren Mercedes MP4-24

I notice Hamilton did not use the new front wing for the race.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

deus1066

Yeah, for some reason the drivers don't like that new wing with the complicated endplates. They tested it a few races earlier too, but niether raced it.

It's interesting to see that most of the teams have converged on similar diffuser designs with Brawn, Red Bull, Mclaren, Renault and Force India all having similar designs with the "U" shaped centre-section.

De Jokke

Mclaren really great all weekend.

We can become 3rd which means next year: return of the RED Five (mansell => hamilton)

I think suzuka could be a setback but it seems that ferrari isn't positive either so every points we can haul over ferrari is great. Let's hope fisi struggles again and heikki gets to grip with the circuit rapidly.
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

Richard

De Jokke wrote:We can become 3rd which means next year: return of the RED Five (mansell => hamilton)
Sorry that's lost on me, could you explain please?

That WCC table is looking tight, the points lost in Oz and Monza might turn out too be expensive mistakes. I heard that the garages will be smaller next year to fit in more teams. McL are in danger of getting a very small garage next year if they finish too far down the table.

chasefreak

when u say too far u mean 4th or 3rd .. am i correct

myurr

richard_leeds wrote:
De Jokke wrote:We can become 3rd which means next year: return of the RED Five (mansell => hamilton)
Sorry that's lost on me, could you explain please?

That WCC table is looking tight, the points lost in Oz and Monza might turn out too be expensive mistakes. I heard that the garages will be smaller next year to fit in more teams. McL are in danger of getting a very small garage next year if they finish too far down the table.
If McLaren finish 3rd in the constructors then their cars will be numbered 5 and 6. Number 1 and 2 follow the drivers champion, 3 and 4 go to second in the constructors championship, 5 and 6 to 3rd, etc.

5, in red lettering, was Nigel Mansell's famous number when at Williams.

Garages are handed out based on the previous years constructors championship, so finishing 3rd or 4th will be okay for McLaren. They'll cope.

Miguel

myurr wrote:5, in red lettering, was Nigel Mansell's famous number when at Williams.
Number 5 is also the second number with most wins in F1, having been surpassed by 1 only recently (200x, with schumacher). The list of drivers to have won races with number 5 is mighty impressive. I think Senna is one of the few greats that haven't actually won races with nº 5.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

ringo

:P
For Sure!!

CMSMJ1

Miguel wrote:
myurr wrote:5, in red lettering, was Nigel Mansell's famous number when at Williams.
Number 5 is also the second number with most wins in F1, having been surpassed by 1 only recently (200x, with schumacher). The list of drivers to have won races with number 5 is mighty impressive. I think Senna is one of the few greats that haven't actually won races with nº 5.

I am sure you are enough of a veteran to remember when the only number change was between the championship winning team and the previous champions. The "winningest" numbers, I guess, will be 1,2,5,6,27,28,11,12 as this was when McLaren, Williams, Lotus and Ferrari were sharing all the wins and when the titel was decied one of the teams swapped numbers.

Hence Tyrell were 3+4 for ever and Ferrari were 27+28, until Prost took the no1 and left McLaren with then 27+28, which then swapped back @ Suzuka with Senna taking Prost out.

I don't recall when the process changed and numbers issued equated to the constructors position. Anybody know when and why this was changed?
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

timbo

CMSMJ1 wrote:I don't recall when the process changed and numbers issued equated to the constructors position. Anybody know when and why this was changed?
I remember when, but I don't know why (although it is logical, as numbers reflect previous year results) - the changed happened between 1995 and 1996.

Miguel

CMSMJ1 wrote:I am sure you are enough of a veteran to remember when the only number change was between the championship winning team and the previous champions. The "winningest" numbers, I guess, will be 1,2,5,6,27,28,11,12 as this was when McLaren, Williams, Lotus and Ferrari were sharing all the wins and when the titel was decied one of the teams swapped numbers.
I followed very little of that era. Although my father did watch F1 before, and I have memories of McLarens driven by Prost and Senna going down Mirabeau, I only started following F1 actively in 1994 (I was 13 back then).
Hence Tyrell were 3+4 for ever and Ferrari were 27+28, until Prost took the no1 and left McLaren with then 27+28, which then swapped back @ Suzuka with Senna taking Prost out.

I don't recall when the process changed and numbers issued equated to the constructors position. Anybody know when and why this was changed?
Ferrari used to be 11 and 12. At least Gilles drove Ferrari nº 12 when Jody Scheckter won his WDC. Alan Jones won in 1980, and so Williams got 1 and 2 and Ferrari got 27 and 28.

However, what I had in mind when I mentioned nº 5 was Jim Clark in a british racing green lotus. Back then, teams didn't have allocated numbers, and even changed between races. I've read that sometimes the organisers gave the numbers according to inscription order. I desperately wish that Ferrari holds to 3rd place, so that maybe Alonso will have nº 5 next year (kinda childish, I know).

Back on topic, I don't expect such a strong showing by McLaren in Suzuka. By no means do I expect the "suckage" seen in Silverstone, and Lewis might sneak into the podium, but I expect them to be around 6-8th place. KERS plus a strong engine will certainly help between Spoon and Turn 1 (senna versus prost corner). The esses in sector 1 will probably be troublesome.

Finally, I am astonished by the number of upgrades McLaren have introduced to fix their car throughout the year.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

arporter

According to formula1.com McLaren used a new symmetrical diffuser in Singapore. Anyone seen any pictures?

ISLAMATRON

It seems they have "lit a fire under Kovi's ass"... didnt seem to do much though.

ringo

Miguel wrote:
CMSMJ1 wrote:I am sure you are enough of a veteran to remember when the only number change was between the championship winning team and the previous champions. The "winningest" numbers, I guess, will be 1,2,5,6,27,28,11,12 as this was when McLaren, Williams, Lotus and Ferrari were sharing all the wins and when the titel was decied one of the teams swapped numbers.
I followed very little of that era. Although my father did watch F1 before, and I have memories of McLarens driven by Prost and Senna going down Mirabeau, I only started following F1 actively in 1994 (I was 13 back then).

Ferrari used to be 11 and 12. At least Gilles drove Ferrari nº 12 when Jody Scheckter won his WDC. Alan Jones won in 1980, and so Williams got 1 and 2 and Ferrari got 27 and 28.

However, what I had in mind when I mentioned nº 5 was Jim Clark in a british racing green lotus. Back then, teams didn't have allocated numbers, and even changed between races. I've read that sometimes the organisers gave the numbers according to inscription order. I desperately wish that Ferrari holds to 3rd place, so that maybe Alonso will have nº 5 next year (kinda childish, I know).

Back on topic, I don't expect such a strong showing by McLaren in Suzuka. By no means do I expect the "suckage" seen in Silverstone, and Lewis might sneak into the podium, but I expect them to be around 6-8th place. KERS plus a strong engine will certainly help between Spoon and Turn 1 (senna versus prost corner). The esses in sector 1 will probably be troublesome.

Finally, I am astonished by the number of upgrades McLaren have introduced to fix their car throughout the year.
The question should be: will fisichella do enough to score some points to prevent Mclaren from finishing third?
Even if Mclaren are under par at suzuka, which i don't think will happen, Heiki and hamilton is should be able to make up some points on kimi. And we all know kimi is not winning that race against the likes of Brawn, RBR, williams and even Toyota.
For Sure!!