Renault R29

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
modbaraban

Re: Renault R29

I really meant to say that the livery is nicer than last year's. It's the nose and wings that ruin the car.

I wonder if any team thought about disguising the ugly proportions using different livery solutions. I tried this:

Dark wings make the car itself look fast and sharp (the lower part of the nosecone is painted dark too). If you paint the flap of the rear wing in a contrasting colour it won't look so narrow and tall.

vyselegend

This would be drastically better that way!

Just put the "TOTAL" inscription in red on the black wings (like it is on the 908 proto actually), and everybody should be happy.

Actually a Renault F1 should never be other than yellow with black or white skirts & endplates, and some black or white stripes...

Metar wrote:I thought it failed the side-impact tests?
I heard one of the failed test was side-impact, but I'm unsure about the other. It was just an idea that poped in my mind, I guess there's a rational part of my brain that CANNOT accept such a livery/design combo to be planned like that. It has to be an accident of some sorts! :lol:

modbaraban

What is that where the floor should be (look below the right nosecone camera)? Looks like rough image editiong. :wtf:

http://www.gurneyflap.com/Resources/R293.jpg

Saribro

[never mind]

gcdugas

Perhaps the fat nose and extended wing mount plates are to create a low pressure zone aft of the FIA templated center (which by definition produced zero DF). This created low pressure zone would help clear some of the air as it struggles to get around the front tires. This could help them to control it some under the car. The hollow box section endplates of the front wing seem to be an effort to reduce the amount of air striking the tire also. No other team has these endplates.
Innovation over refinement is the prefered path to performance. -- Get rid of the dopey regs in F1

jon-mullen

I wouldn't worry about the looks of the car, considering most will be seeing it from this angle:

Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

vyselegend

What makes you feel so confident Jon?

Sure the car is differenciating itself in many direction, which is making fantasming over innovation (it's not such a taboo word nowaday?.... Is it?).

But on the other hand being different from the rest is not such a good sign.. Or do you intend the other all got it wrong?

More seriously, I really wonder about two things:

-How exactly is the Renault engine supposed to have gained back?

-Are they really serious with KERS or just bluffing?
Obviously that car has been drawed with KERS in mind, with that large rear end, while I would have thought they were going to start the championship with a "no-KERS" optimised car, then produce a B-type, or wait for standard KERS to adapt it...

ESPImperium

Truly the ugliest front wing yet, i like the concept of the rest of the car, but that front wing i suspect is as a result of the failed crash tests last week. A bungled attempt to make the car safe. However i think that will change before the first GP in Oz.

But heres a angle that shows the underside of the nose to be hollow:

Altho i think it also shows the diffuser to be pretty nice and sports car looking.

Personally this is the ugliest car so far, the Williams FW31 is the next ugliest i think.

Metar

I was afraid when I saw the F60 and TF109 - they were awfully dull and similar, with the exception of the front noses - but I'm really pleased to see just how many different ways the designers took this year.

Deerfield805

I like it. If the Renault engine guys can make up the HP differance with their redesign shot I think we have a winner.The new rules are great. Clean sheet of paper. The cars are actually differant again.

modbaraban

ESPImperium wrote:But heres a angle that shows the underside of the nose to be hollow
Wouldn't that create turbulence under the nosecone (where the sudden gap begins)?

PS:
I still don't understand what I see there (the blue area).
What is that where the floor should be (look below the right nosecone camera)? Looks like rough image editiong. :wtf:

http://www.gurneyflap.com/Resources/R293.jpg
Last edited by modbaraban on 19 Jan 2009, 23:03, edited 2 times in total.

gcdugas

modbaraban wrote:
ESPImperium wrote:But heres a angle that shows the underside of the nose to be hollow
Wouldn't that create turbulence under the nosecone (where the sudden gap begins)?

There is already plenty of turbulence in that location as the air clears the front wheels. I think Renault are on to something by creating a low pressure place for the air to go to.
Innovation over refinement is the prefered path to performance. -- Get rid of the dopey regs in F1

timbo

modbaraban wrote: I still don't understand what I see there (the blue area).
Hint: note the road surface color underneath the car.

this definetely just a reflection, too much optical illusions on these cars, don't you think?? 8)

DarkSnape

geeez looks like a station wagon... we are live in a yellow submarine a yellow submarine...