Renault R29

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Agerasia

Re: Renault R29

ESPImperium wrote:Truly the ugliest front wing yet, i like the concept of the rest of the car, but that front wing i suspect is as a result of the failed crash tests last week. A bungled attempt to make the car safe. However i think that will change before the first GP in Oz.

But heres a angle that shows the underside of the nose to be hollow:

Altho i think it also shows the diffuser to be pretty nice and sports car looking.

Personally this is the ugliest car so far, the Williams FW31 is the next ugliest i think.
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, it's reducing drag and pressure from the underside of the nosecone. In principle it does a similar job to the hole seen in the nose of last years Ferrari.
Thanks for fiinding this picture as it confirms what I thought.
"badically pressuring rosnerg " Ringo 05/10/2014

Scania

mx_tifoso

vyselegend wrote:Also, I know aero doesn't work like it looks to be, but it is very hard to imagine that the lower front part of that nose tip isn't producing lift!
You mean drag? I say that because it appears to me that the front portion of the nosecone-end is concave. And it doesn't seem to lead backwards towards the floor as much as it should.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

imightbewrong

xpensive

That looks much better, front-wing endplates makes sense too, now ditch that tail-fin mr Symonds, and you should look good for 2009. Together with Alonso and another 40 Hp that is...
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

wesley123

modbaraban wrote:
wesley123 wrote:The nose wont make it to australia.
How can you be so sure? It looks quite complicated underneath. There must be a method in their madness.
A guess maybe?

The idea looks similair to the FW26 nose, didnt race a whole season.

I still cannot see how this nose can work.

We will see how right i am at australia...
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Miguel

I've got a question. We all know that Renault was given a wild card for the engine freeze so they could catch the other engines. This would have probably ended OK with the 19k rpm limit, as everybody except the FIA agreed to some modifications last season.

But, now that the rev limit is set to 18k rpm, could Renault gain an unfair advantage by optimising the allowed changes for a lower rpm limit than originally concieved?
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

rjsa

wesley123 wrote:
modbaraban wrote:
wesley123 wrote:The nose wont make it to australia.
How can you be so sure? It looks quite complicated underneath. There must be a method in their madness.
A guess maybe?

The idea looks similair to the FW26 nose, didnt race a whole season.

I still cannot see how this nose can work.

We will see how right i am at australia...
I agree entirely. And more, I think that front wing end plates also will change dramatically, if not wign themselves.

djos

Miguel wrote:I've got a question. We all know that Renault was given a wild card for the engine freeze so they could catch the other engines. This would have probably ended OK with the 19k rpm limit, as everybody except the FIA agreed to some modifications last season.

But, now that the rev limit is set to 18k rpm, could Renault gain an unfair advantage by optimising the allowed changes for a lower rpm limit than originally concieved?
doubtful, from what i've deduced Renault have been given the list of approved "reliability mods" from Ferrari and Maclaren and been told they can make any of those changes that are relevant to their engine.
"In downforce we trust"

jon-mullen

vyselegend wrote:What makes you feel so confident Jon?

Sure the car is differenciating itself in many direction, which is making fantasming over innovation (it's not such a taboo word nowaday?.... Is it?).

But on the other hand being different from the rest is not such a good sign.. Or do you intend the other all got it wrong?
I'm doing a little thing we in the States call "talking trash." It's what we do when we support a team or individual for reasons known to ourselves that may not appear rational to others. Just be glad our new President got inaugurated today, I've been talking trash on his behalf for almost a year now!

In other news, do we have a source on imightbewrong's #7 Renault? Now that I got used to looking at that HUGE nose, this one almost looks like the R28 to me!
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

vyselegend

The pic on imightbewrong's post is just a higher res pic of the one I posted two pages ago, explaining where it does come from, and what is/was it's purpose in my opinion.
Feel free to check that post.

Thanks for enlightening me about "trash talking". I don't understand all the subtilities of a discution in english yet, so I can easily take on "first degree" something which was supposed to be ironic or subtle. ;)

imightbewrong

jon-mullen wrote:
vyselegend wrote:What makes you feel so confident Jon?

Sure the car is differenciating itself in many direction, which is making fantasming over innovation (it's not such a taboo word nowaday?.... Is it?).

But on the other hand being different from the rest is not such a good sign.. Or do you intend the other all got it wrong?
I'm doing a little thing we in the States call "talking trash." It's what we do when we support a team or individual for reasons known to ourselves that may not appear rational to others. Just be glad our new President got inaugurated today, I've been talking trash on his behalf for almost a year now!

In other news, do we have a source on imightbewrong's #7 Renault? Now that I got used to looking at that HUGE nose, this one almost looks like the R28 to me!
Hi, the image is taken directly from the front page of ing-renaults media page, see here:
http://www.ing-renaultf1.com/en/media/index.php

jon-mullen

Oh, thanks, I didn't see that. I guess we should expect to see something similar to the fat nose in Australia then, huh?

Actually, looking through the galleries, it seems every team except McLaren and factory Toyota have opted for a large nose. Wish we had more of those orthogonal views, we could settle this biggest nose contest once and for all.
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

Rob W

modbaraban wrote:I still don't understand what I see there (the blue area).
I agree. I think it's more likely a weird reflection. Reason being, if it were a gap and you could see the tarmac under the car, it wouldn't be that blue still as the road changes to back beyond the white line painted on the road....

majicmeow

just a noobie question...

if the underside of the nose is indeed hollow, wouldnt the air directed under the nose create a low(er) pressure effect on the backside of the nose cone and increase the effective downforce?

please correct me if I am wrong on this :)

-Aaron