2009 Testing - March (Jerez & Barcelona)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Bob Brown

Re: March Testing Thread 2009 (Jerez & Barcelona)

I'm loving Kimi's new helmet........need to see more of it though.

mattclinch

hamilton off? and knocked his rear wing off...

sounds like he slide off and parked it backwards into the tyres just enough to knock the wing off..

"15:20 pm Red flag! A major departure from English track!"

"15:21 pm English has with his rear wing on the outside of the curve 4 and has broken. In fact, it has been released in its entirety. Nevertheless, we have seen how Hamilton came out on his own foot. Does not seem to have problems."

"15:31 pm It has been a top, the English entered into the record and has been in the back with rubber protection, which has displaced half a meter only. Enough to loosen the rear spoiler. Therefore, the coup was not excessively violent."

ggoldberg81
ggoldberg81

Sawtooth-spike wrote:
marinopc wrote: That's the reason why everybody is looking the nose of the Mclaren. What's that gadget¿?
Alot of fuss over nothing?

we can see Ferrari are running the same thing.

Mclaren are using the end plates to push air around the tires, so i am gussing this is helping with that maybe linking up with those odd hubs of theres.
They weren't making a fuss over that gadget. McLaren added a updated front wing. They are running a 4 plane wing now. Thats what had the other teams so interested. So all the fuss wasn't over nothing.

Bob Brown

so thts 2 cars whose back has caught on fire at Jerez LOL the other being lewis'.

captainmorgan
captainmorgan

"15:21 pm English has with his rear wing on the outside of the curve 4 and has broken. In fact, it has been released in its entirety. Nevertheless, we have seen how Hamilton came out on his own foot. Does not seem to have problems."
Who is referring to Hamilton as "The English"?

axle
axle

captainmorgan wrote:
Who is referring to Hamilton as "The English"?
It's a bad translation - should be Englishman.
- Axle

Spencifer_Murphy

I'm not so sure Mclaren are in such deep trouble...we never saw this level of unreliability before (granted it could be that they've only started to push the car now) and at other tests they seemed competitive even when they occasionally (how wierd is that?!) used this year's rear wing.

I just read on GPupdate that they've been running 2010 rubber again today, could be the reason for:
1. Slow times
2. Lewis eating up his rears
3. Lewis loosing the car

unfortunately that doesn't explain:
1. Why they still use 2008 spec rear wings
2. Why they've been unreliable

I can only imagine the unreliability is linked to using KERS (maybe they haven't done so, or at least done as much, recently).
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

mattclinch

"erm... what happened there then boys?"

would love to know what kind fo rear end/rear wing problems they are having..

Bob Brown

cool picture......anyone happen to have a hires of it?

and looks like kimi had an off today too.

timbo
timbo

Bob Brown wrote:Image

cool picture......anyone happen to have a hires of it?

and looks like kimi had an off today too.
Heh))))
Seems like Ferrari already training to get that additional point for fastest pit-stop
:lol: :lol: :lol:

marinopc
marinopc

Rikhart wrote:Id say this late into the pre season, they are having MAJOR problems. Not only is it not reliable, pace is bad as well. Do we finally get to see lewis with a dog of a car? That would be fun.
Major problems, as I said before...

yzfr7
yzfr7

marinopc wrote:That's the reason why everybody is looking the nose of the Mclaren. What's that gadget¿?
The gadget on the endplates seems like a heat exchanger to me, with all the horizontal fins. It could be for the actuation of the front wing. Or just a very bulky turning vane.
pax

axle
axle

It's just the layup of the carbon weave....nothing more trick that a turning vane.
- Axle

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Spencifer_Murphy wrote:I'm not so sure Mclaren are in such deep trouble...we never saw this level of unreliability before (granted it could be that they've only started to push the car now) and at other tests they seemed competitive even when they occasionally (how wierd is that?!) used this year's rear wing.

I just read on GPupdate that they've been running 2010 rubber again today, could be the reason for:
1. Slow times
2. Lewis eating up his rears
3. Lewis loosing the car

unfortunately that doesn't explain:
1. Why they still use 2008 spec rear wings
2. Why they've been unreliable

I can only imagine the unreliability is linked to using KERS (maybe they haven't done so, or at least done as much, recently).
Doubt that they were using 2010 tires, they were running the new brake ducts + rims today (on the pictures I have found) and the general consensus is that they can't use them on the 2010 tires because of a missmatch in dimensions. But its nothing confirmed.

Callum

yzfr7 wrote:
marinopc wrote:That's the reason why everybody is looking the nose of the Mclaren. What's that gadget¿?
To me it looks like plastic, as if they've been sent the improvements to make from the factory and obviously couldnt re-make a whole new wing.