2009 Testing - March (Jerez & Barcelona)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Metar

Re: March Testing Thread 2009 (Jerez & Barcelona)

The F1-Live summary of McLaren's Tuesday programme indeed mentioned that they were in the back of the time-sheets until a late run with the 2008 wing gave Heikki 4th place...

Moanlower

astracrazy wrote:you must of seen that picture just as i did, just came on here to post that.

Getting a little bit worrying, it's not like any other team has even done it once?

Perhaps they have got serious problems with the rear wing? I read about them bring the new wing to this test, perhaps (like the "old" new wing) its just not doing the business.

Who knows?
Maybe it's just their way of evaluating the tyres with a wing they have lots of data from?
Losers focus on winners, winners focus on winning.

astracrazy

Moanlower wrote:
astracrazy wrote:you must of seen that picture just as i did, just came on here to post that.

Getting a little bit worrying, it's not like any other team has even done it once?

Perhaps they have got serious problems with the rear wing? I read about them bring the new wing to this test, perhaps (like the "old" new wing) its just not doing the business.

Who knows?
Maybe it's just their way of evaluating the tyres with a wing they have lots of data from?
Yeah could be, just I can't see why nobody else has done it atleast once

Shaddock

Moanlower wrote:A qoute concerning the 2009 and KERS by the FIA
The FIA has reportedly asked Bridgestone to change the ratio of tyre width for its 2010 tyres, either by widening the rears, or supplying a narrower front tyre.

"We have to admit that we made a mistake," FIA President Max Mosley told Auto Motor und Sport.

"We should have anticipated that the rear tyres would be a weak point."

The result, in 2009, is that by producing a better car balance by moving the weight distribution overly forwards, the benefit of the Kinetic Energy Recovery Systems is effectively negated.

"We will ask Bridgestone to change the tyre dimensions for 2010," Mosley confirmed
Oh dear, If that’s the case then teams will be ripping out KERS to preserve their rear tyres unless they can get enough ballast forward.

I’m hoping McLaren have something up their sleeves, sidepods shields, new front wing endplates like the RB, a new taller Williams style diffuser. These are going to need to be tested and evaluated, and they are running out of time. Running 08 spec wings and paint tests earlier in the year may mean they have run into trouble with the aero on their car.

My speed estimates:-

Ferrari
RBR
BMW
Toyota
McLaren/Renault
Williams
STR
FI
BR1

Moanlower

Shaddock wrote: Running 08 spec wings and paint tests earlier in the year may mean they have run into trouble with the aero on their car.

My speed estimates:-

Ferrari
RBR
BMW
Toyota
McLaren/Renault
Williams
STR
FI
BR1
I started a new topic for the pecking order prediction.

Scarbs stated that the paint tests is nothing and that many teams have used it. The reason we see it now is because previously it was tested in the windtunnel which is limited this year. It's more to confirm the cfd data with the real deal if i'm not mistaken.
Last edited by Moanlower on 04 Mar 2009, 16:39, edited 2 times in total.
Losers focus on winners, winners focus on winning.

axle

I *believe* this week is all about reliability and tyres...

Next week we'll see a raft of updates to most of the cars as they finalise the specs for Melbourne...by finalise of course I mean excluding all the parts they'll finish off and make between the end of the Barca test and Melbourne!
- Axle

McMacca

Which version of the 09 wing have McLaren been running today?
High center :
Or Lower Center?

imightbewrong

McMacca wrote:Which version of the 09 wing have McLaren been running today?
None of 'em as far as I know. They have been running with the 08 wing.

Kester

Hamilton just improved slightly. Still dead last though, with a 1:21:665, unsure with which wing that is using.

Shaddock

Moanlower wrote:
Shaddock wrote: Running 08 spec wings and paint tests earlier in the year may mean they have run into trouble with the aero on their car.

Scarbs stated that the paint tests is nothing and that many teams have used it. The reason we see it now is because previously it was tested in the windtunnel which is limited this year. It's more to confirm the cfd data with the real deal if i'm not mistaken.
Agreed, by themselves as individual tests they mean very little. However, is a pattern starting to emerge with the McLaren. They have not been especially quick in 09 spec, and the team keeps reverting back to 08 spec wings, they have run paint tests and strapped a birdcage to the side of their car. How many other teams have run these types of test so publically. This might mean absolutely nothing and they are on their development track, but what steps/tests would a team undertake if their wind tunnel simulation/data was way off what you were finding at the track (Renault have been here), some or all of the above?

kilcoo316

Shaddock wrote:This might mean absolutely nothing and they are on their development track, but what steps/tests would a team undertake if their wind tunnel simulation/data was way off what you were finding at the track (Renault have been here), some or all of the above?

As I said quite a few times in the other thread - I believe the paint test to be virtually a total waste of time and resources. It gives you no hard numbers in limited areas with very variable boundary conditions - a completely useless experiment/test.

If you wanna test your wind-tunnel - in my opinion it would be better to get onto a runway and do straight line tests - try to correlate downforce with airspeed (from suspension deflection) and drag with acceleration (along with known power/torque at axle figures).

Either is a rather desperate move though.

ggoldberg81

what web site has live timing of testing?

marinopc

ggoldberg81 wrote:what web site has live timing of testing?
http://directo.thef1.es/tests/

McMacca

More Paintballing at McLaren yesterday, and 4th best time was set with 08 wing at the end of the day.....
Kovalainen switched back to the 2008 MP4-23 rear wing late in the day, posting the fourth fastest time on his penultimate lap of the day the team confirmed to ESPN Racing-Live.

kilcoo316

McMacca wrote:More Paintballing at McLaren yesterday, and 4th best time was set with 08 wing at the end of the day.....
Thats a bit more useful... at least your getting a separation point.

Still dependant on Reynolds number though.

Doesn't auger well for their confidence in either their windtunnel or their CFD simulations though does it?