Schumacher's 5th gear in Spain`94

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
WhiteBlue

Re: Schumacher's 5th gear in Spain`94

Yep, watching the telemetry tells you a lot. I also remember the race very well. You have to consider that they revved only 15.000 max at that time and in the telemetry you see the engine go way down to 6.000 or 7.000 which was probably also the kind of revvs you had to use to start it.

Btw. the guy commenting this is Steve Matchett of SpeedTV who was Michaels mechanic at that time. So I do not doubt what basically happened there.

It was very painfull to watch but in the end Michael got away with 2nd place only 28 s behind and good points due to his driving skills. Read Joe Saward's race report at http://grandprix.com/gpe/rr553.html . The guy isn't a fool and he told the story.

Something really incrdible are the obstacles they placed as a chicane after the Imola and Monaco desasters. You see Hill negotiating a very tight passage there. This is race one after Karl Wendlinger crashed and went into a thre week coma and only race two after Senna and Ratzenberger lost their lives.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

xpensive

Obviously, Joe Saward wrote this as it was reported by the Benetton team during the race, which doesn't make it true.

By the way, is Schumacher German by any chance? :wink:
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Raptor22

how was this possible?

Simple, clutch control, torque and conserving momentum.

Ray

jddh1 wrote:Now, I do know that the newest Ford Mustang can begin moving from a dead stop in 5th gear, and in 10 seconds it can reach 170 mph.
Not calling you a liar, but I call BS on this. Unless it's one of the 700+HP Shelby cars, then it may be true.

On topic though, the youtube vid with the onboard surely disproves any doubt that it was an amazing drive. And Steve Matchett was his mechanic I think, and he'd definitely have known what was going on. Interesting topic too!

xpensive

To be a little more specific, the part I'm not buying is getting within a second of his best time with a healthy gearbox?

Probably a lot faster than the Minardis and what not at the back.

Belatti

Xpens, please read my post from Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:00 pm

He did not race 2/3 of the race in 5th but 1/3. His 1:26s time from lap 40 was before the lap 41 gearbox problem.

I predict lapping at 1:30s / 1:31s (4-5 secs off Hill´s peace) wich is still impresive and near the peace of the back makers.

He changed the ratios in the corners and having low torque availiability on slow corners he was able the step on the gas earlier without spinning problems. Lower top speed in the long straight was another problem, but that happens once in a lap in Barcelona.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

xpensive

I stand corrected Belatti. Now savour this moment. :wink:

WhiteBlue

xpensive wrote:
By the way, is Schumacher German by any chance? :wink:
I don't know if you have negative feelings towards Germans or just Schumacher. Fact is he single handedly put Germany back on a racing map. Before him our glory days were pre war and now F1 has a very solid base in Germany. Without Schumacher there would hardly be the likes of Glock, Vettel or Heidfeld on the grid because single seater racing would not have taken off like it did. Same goes for the Merc and BMW investments into F1. Besides I admire his attitude of never giving up and supporting his team in times of trouble like hell. And all that before his undoubted talent and skill as a driver. So bottom line: I'm a fan and this will never change.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

jddh1

Ray wrote:
jddh1 wrote:Now, I do know that the newest Ford Mustang can begin moving from a dead stop in 5th gear, and in 10 seconds it can reach 170 mph.
Not calling you a liar, but I call BS on this. Unless it's one of the 700+HP Shelby cars, then it may be true.
Yep, the Shelby GT 500. No lie. Just do a little research and you'll see for yourself.

jddh1

If you go at 8:16 on this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eYDmAZzEDE
You'll see that in 1990 Senna collided with NAKAJIMA.
I laughed so hard.

xpensive

WB, in case you got me wrong somwhere, I recognize MS in the same historic league as Björn Borg in Tennis, who by the way discovered that it was not against the rules to be in physically-fit at Wimbledon.

MS was to my mind of the same mould, he expanded the envelope of a driver, taking part of every aspect of the concept for winning in F1, car, team, staff and everything else that was methodically explorable.

He was indeed the total driver, perhaps not with the most exciting of personalities, but at the end of the day the results were always there.

Belatti

xpensive wrote:I stand corrected Belatti. Now savour this moment. :wink:
How is that possible? You were not wrong in any part of your post :?

In fact you correctly did not buy he was lapping 1sec off peace :wink:
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

jddh1

Belatti wrote:
xpensive wrote:I stand corrected Belatti. Now savour this moment. :wink:
How is that possible? You were not wrong in any part of your post :?

In fact you correctly did not buy he was lapping 1sec off peace :wink:
Belatti, you should work for the FIA with these "manipulating" skills you possess. :mrgreen:

xpensive

You should know jddh1, living in Lawyer-town? :wink:

djones

jddh1 wrote:
Ray wrote:
Yep, the Shelby GT 500. No lie. Just do a little research and you'll see for yourself.

No way does it do 0-170 in 10 seconds, let alone with it setting off in 5th.

If its the car I'm thinking of above (I will find a youtube video when Im home) the m5board people race it against things like an E92 M3 and it gets its pants pulled down!!!

Cars with less power pull away from it in a rolling start race. I honestly doubt it even has 450 BHP let alone 500+.