Toro Rosso STR4

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
timbo
timbo

Re: Torro Rosso STR4

hulmerist wrote:have the other teams had someone else design their for them?
I believe McLaren uses system made by Bosch.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

RB developed their own system of KERS, but then scrapped it as they deemed it unrelyable and not up to the job, a reported £30 Million went into the RB system before they opted for (and effectivly put £30 Million down the plug hole that could have gone into other R&D elsewhere on the car) the Renault/Magnetti system. However, STR decided from the outset to go with the Ferarri/Magnetti KERS system.

Both the Renault/Magnetti and Ferarri/Magnetti systems are very simmilar, the only diffrences that they seemingly have is diffrent gearings to the motor and a slightly diffrent control mechanism, but the diffrences are minamal as all 5 companys (RB/STR/Ferarri/Renault/Magnetti-Marenelli) have been pulling resources together to cut their costs down.

Scania
Scania

hulmerist wrote:have the other teams had someone else design their for them?
They can buy Flybrid :mrgreen:

Conceptual
Conceptual

ESPImperium wrote:RB developed their own system of KERS, but then scrapped it as they deemed it unrelyable and not up to the job, a reported £30 Million went into the RB system before they opted for (and effectivly put £30 Million down the plug hole that could have gone into other R&D elsewhere on the car) the Renault/Magnetti system. However, STR decided from the outset to go with the Ferarri/Magnetti KERS system.

Both the Renault/Magnetti and Ferarri/Magnetti systems are very simmilar, the only diffrences that they seemingly have is diffrent gearings to the motor and a slightly diffrent control mechanism, but the diffrences are minamal as all 5 companys (RB/STR/Ferarri/Renault/Magnetti-Marenelli) have been pulling resources together to cut their costs down.
This is exactly the type of co-development that I have been talking about for months (and getting beef for as well I might add).

I still see alot of this stuff in the future, especially with the gearbox, KERS, monocoque, and possibly wheel uprights/brakes.

Competition breeds perfection, but cooperation matures it!

modbaraban
modbaraban

Conceptual wrote:Competition breeds perfection, but cooperation matures it!
Aren't we here to watch the competition? :wtf:

The above ideas were said years ago my Max prancing arse Mosley as a cheaper way of creating the same sort of circus.

It's sad.

ISLAMATRON

how the hell is perfection matured? is that like great cheese being aged?

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

The new car:

axle
axle

Still a pullrod...balaclava for one.

Can't really see any major differences from the RB5 at launch...
- Axle

xpensive
xpensive

Is it just me, or is the STR4 exhaust located slightly different from the RBR? Protective shroud looks identical though.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

axle
axle

xpensive wrote:Is it just me, or is the STR4 exhaust located slightly different from the RBR? Protective shroud looks identical though.
I thought that too, but on inspection it's ever-so close...there is likely to be some variation, but it really isn't a big difference.
- Axle

xpensive
xpensive

Big enough to rob me of that balaclava though. :lol:
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

axle
axle

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73624

Why deny it's an RB5 with a different engine in it? Does he think we're blind?
- Axle

Shaddock

I can't believe it's taken this long to just to paint the RB5 in a different livery.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Sidepod inlets look smaller...

EDIT: Second thoughts it's just the paint job. They are just as amazingly small on the RBR. And whats all this balaclava BS?

axle
axle

Diesel wrote:Sidepod inlets look smaller...

EDIT: Second thoughts it's just the paint job. They are just as amazingly small on the RBR. And whats all this balaclava BS?
Balaclava, It's a forum joke - Xpensive said he'd eat one if "Honda" made it to Oz...people picked up on that and made a running joke out of it.

I can't remember who but some were predicting that the STR4 wouldn't be PullRod like the RB5 (no idea why they thought that). Hence my Balaclava comment.
- Axle