Toro Rosso STR4

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dumbdave

Re: Torro Rosso STR4

axle wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73624

Why deny it's an RB5 with a different engine in it? Does he think we're blind?

Like the article says, its a different
Engine
Drivetrain
Hydraulic
Cooling
System, which means totally different internal layouts and systems, all we get to see is the identical aero on the outside, lift the covers and its a different beastie underneath.

axle

dumbdave wrote:
axle wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73624

Why deny it's an RB5 with a different engine in it? Does he think we're blind?

Like the article says, its a different
Engine
Drivetrain
Hydraulic
Cooling
System, which means totally different internal layouts and systems, all we get to see is the identical aero on the outside, lift the covers and its a different beastie underneath.
Yes we know all those bits have to be changed - I guess I meant was - why so vehermently try to distance yourself when it's CLEAR the car is a modified RB5... :shrug: just seems a little silly IMO.
- Axle

xpensive

Agreed axle, with the extremely strict dimensional regulations on the engine, modifications should be minimal.
Could be that the man is referring to the procurement procedure in Italy perhaps?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

ESPImperium

Appart from the cosmetic apperances, the car will be diffrent to the RB5 underneath.

But i have noticed one diffrence, highlighted by the yellow circiles, i think it could be the KERS Isolation unit, the RB5 has it on the left hand side and the STR4 has it on the right hand side;

Moanlower

Also for the first time they produced their own chassis. Last year that was a job for Carbotec from Austria.
Losers focus on winners, winners focus on winning.

ESPImperium

STR4 has a couple or intresting diffrent wing details compaired to the RB5.

Diffrences in yellow circiles.

axle

On the bottom elemenet. The curve is the same so are you saying the chord thickness is the different? As the STR wing looks thicker there to me?
- Axle

ESPImperium

The STR wing dosnt have the same radius to me, it seems shorter and it does look thicker, altho to my eye, decivingly thinner.

i70q7m7ghw

Dear Lord!... They've built a mirrored image!!! It's evil I tell you, EVIL!

jddh1

From afar, I think they're going "pull rod" in the back. Does anyone have any close ups of the rear to see how different theirs is from RBR?

Roger the knife

We regard to Aero, the RB and TR cars are the same, hence Red Bull will have twice the aero testing capacity of the other teams. I'm sure we'll see several iterations of wings and diffusers tried by each team, and the best for each type of track will be on all the cars. Crafty move.....

Conceptual

Roger the knife wrote:We regard to Aero, the RB and TR cars are the same, hence Red Bull will have twice the aero testing capacity of the other teams. I'm sure we'll see several iterations of wings and diffusers tried by each team, and the best for each type of track will be on all the cars. Crafty move.....
See, cooperation is the future!

Conceptual

ISLAMATRON wrote:how the hell is perfection matured? is that like great cheese being aged?
By matured, I mean more available to the masses. When they are all unique, mass production is redundant, but when they are all the same, it becomes economically feasible.

If F1 teams want to be self sufficient for money, they should diversify into component manufacture for the manufacturers. Like Williams making the F2 Chassis, and so forth.

Is it really necessary for each team to carry the full load of a part that is within .001% of all others, and more likely identical in many cases?

I understand giving the teams the ability to improve their way through a season, but if Max has his way, we are all going to be watching these cars start at Oz in 2012 as a spec co-developed chassis, and watch them all take different paths of evolution of a few areas of the car. The last race of the season will be 13 teams with distinctive cars.

I hope that his talk of just capping the expenditure, and letting anything go for under $50M is the best route personally, but only time will tell.

breathesmotorsport

Spec chassis? You can not be serious. :wink:
To me, the development race is the most interesting part of F1.

I thought under the concord agreement every team must design its own car. Clearly the srt4 is at best a copy of an rb5 with some different aero bits and a ferrari engine. There should only be 2 of any car design on the grid, period.

i70q7m7ghw

breathesmotorsport wrote:Spec chassis? You can not be serious. :wink:
To me, the development race is the most interesting part of F1.

I thought under the concord agreement every team must design its own car. Clearly the srt4 is at best a copy of an rb5 with some different aero bits and a ferrari engine. There should only be 2 of any car design on the grid, period.
They found a loop hole, the cars are designed under a single parent company called Red Bull technologies... or something like that, all I know is it's all legal.