Red Bull RB5 aero-mech development in 2009

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
djos

Re: Red Bull RB5 aero-mech development in 2009

xDama wrote:
djos wrote:
bar555 wrote:FRONT WING - G. BRITAIN , SILVERSTONE
anyone else notice the wire coming out of the nose hole? Have RBR finally implemented the driver adjustable front wing?
It's not a wire, it's just a 'rible' from the yellow sticker on the nosecone.

Isn't RBR allready using the adjustable front wing? Quite strange...
It's a wire, if your monitor was properly calibrated you'd see that it continues under the nose cone.

nope, they haven't bothered with it yet aside from getting STR to test it for them a while back (they had 2 wires coming out of the nose on that occasion and didn't try to hide it).

Mark has also mentioned in interviews a couple of races ago that the DDD was higher priority than a driver adjustable front wing and KERS.
"In downforce we trust"

xDama

"I race to win, and if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver." - Ayrton Senna

djos

xDama wrote:I don't see a wire comming out of that nosecone-hole though...

You must need glasses - your pic's both show it even better that the earlier one posted and the proof is that the nose cone hole is no longer symetrical (left side) due to the wire coming thru it! #-o
Last edited by djos on 29 Jun 2009, 12:55, edited 1 time in total.
"In downforce we trust"

roost89

djos wrote:
xDama wrote:I don't see a wire comming out of that nosecone-hole though...

http://premium.f1-live.com/f1/photos-hi ... po_148.jpg
http://premium.f1-live.com/f1/photos-hi ... po_188.jpg
You must need glasses - your pic's both show it even better that the earlier one posted and the proof is that the nose cone hole is no longer symetrical (left side) due to the wire coming thru it! #-o
Why not wait until the next race to see if it's still there? And then try and work it out.
I'm a bit sceptical that it's a wire. If they don't run driver adjustable front wings, why have it? Also was it on Webber's car? The photos as far as I can discern are of Vettel's car.

I'll wait until they're in Germany to find out. More Evidence please.
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

djos

Clearly they were testing it on friday! if it was a Race part you would think that the wire would be built in the front wings structure!

Seriously guy's, buy some glasses and apply a touch of logic to the scenario please! *shakes head*

EDIT: I boosted the size + Brightness and contrast and it is a wire bonded to the nose-cone coming out of the nose hole and running down the inside of the left front wing strut:

"In downforce we trust"

xDama

First of all, the line that you are claiming to be a wire can easily be a reflection of light. The line that you're showing on the left side of the nosecone pilar is as well visible on the right side pilar.

Secondly, if they would test the adjustable front wing, wouldn't there be a wire going to both sides of the wing like TR? And why on earth would they put that wire UNDERNEATH the sticker?

Furthermore, if this would even be an adjustable front wing. How would these flaps ever move? They are attached to the endplates and to the wing itself. There isn't any mechanism visible that could indicate that this is an adjustable front wing.

If I would apply a touch of logic, I wouldn't say that there's a wire comming out of that nose cone ;)

When you look at these picture, you don't see a wire at all. The only thing you can see is a small rible next to the nosecone hole.
http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/8046/diapo137.jpg
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1113/diapo123u.jpg
"I race to win, and if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver." - Ayrton Senna

Belatti

xDama, you are skeptical in excess. That is not a reflection of light. Of course is a wire. You ask why on earth would they put that wire UNDERNEATH the sticker? I ask why on earth should they put that wire OVER the sticker?

The wire can be for anything, for example: a sensor
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Callum

i'm also sure that if the decal applier had made such a mistake applying it s/he would remove it and try again.

djos

Callum wrote:i'm also sure that if the decal applier had made such a mistake applying it s/he would remove it and try again.
exactly, xDama just cant tell the difference between a wire and a ripple in a sticker (and it's paint, not a sticker) or a reflection of sunlight!
"In downforce we trust"

xDama

Well, I'm still not convinced that it's a wire, but if you guys are firmly convinced about it I'll follow your opinions.

I just find it so very weird to be placing a wire like that on the nosecone, but whatever.

ISLAMATRON

maybe this pic will make it more believable to you

Shrek

ISLAMATRON wrote:maybe this pic will make it more believable to you

i think they're trying to hide something but i just don't know what it is
Spencer

xDama

ISLAMATRON wrote:maybe this pic will make it more believable to you

I allready knew about TR using the wires, but when you compare the photo's it looks completely different than the RB. I mean, how visible is the wire on the TR, where on the RB you barely see anything... But hey, you guys are convinced that there's a wire so I won't argue anymore about it. =)

Callum

Can we please move on..its pretty stupid argueing about a bulgue in the nosecone that may or may not be a wire.

Confused_Andy

psst, its a wire that goes to the camera under the nose... :shock:

Look here:

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1113/diapo123u.jpg

And read here:

http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/ ... 3/673.html