Schumi comes back

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
xpensive

Re: Schumi comes back

I think MrE relishes what he appreciates as the power of big names in F1, remember when he brokered a deal for Mansell's return with McLaren in 95, after Senna, Piquet and Prost were gone?

A match made in hell, which obviously ended in tears.

To his mind, Button, Vettel or Webber are perhaps not big enough names to give F1 the attention needed at this point?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

James

DaveKillens wrote:
James wrote:Hi islamatron

but what would that tell them apart from how an old car drives with the same amount of DF as the current car? I can see how this might be of use to a driver who hasn't been in an 09 car yet but not to somebody who gets to drive an 09 car every 2 weeks.

once again, sorry if im missing something obvious but it dosnt make much sence to me
Telemetry is built into the cars, and differences in various aspects of performance can be measured. For instance, a change in front brake air scoop could result in decreased aero resistance but lower brake temperatures. Or maybe the reverse, the point is this data would be collected no matter who drove the car. Data such as this can tell the team what works or not, and what direction to go in development.
And having a scrutineer or FIA reps is useless. The car will be legal, but it's virtually impossible to note any changes from car to car, especially if the change is hidden deep within the car, or extremely fine in dimensions.
Could Ferrari pull off this kind of stunt? Absolutely yes. Would they? Only Ferrari know, but based on their previous attitude towards grabbing any advantage regardless of what others think, they would.
Thanks Dave, that's a very good point I hadn't considered. I guess it would be next to impossible to ensure there were no new parts on the f60 so I think it's right that the f60 test isn't going to happen.

James

Rob W wrote:
James wrote:...now the 09 cars are being used the vague guess would be useless for car development and not much use for a driver who is racing 09 cars.

I think that's why ferrari is the only team to have run a 07 car, not because they have some kind of unfair advantage but because no other team had a need to
This is absolutely wrong. A driver need only do consistent lap times for four or five laps, then change a part or setting and do another five - for them to gather potentially very useful data. Brake temps, Gs, wheel-spin, wing angles, etc. Read DaveKillens' post just above.

Schumacher could do consistent laps times in his sleep almost right away not to mention he'd offer expert feedback the likes of which other teams are prevented from gathering by the rules.

That is why this test simply cannot go ahead - for fairness reasons.

If you'd like another example of the absurdity of it - Alguersuari had never driven an F1 car on a circuit and managed to go through practice, qualifying and the race without incident - not to mention beating his team-mate in the race.

Yet we're expected to believe a guy who's been in over 249 F1 races and probably an equivalent amount of test hours somehow has some safety need or otherwise to be granted a test?

Get real.
erm sorry for being absolutely wrong! but in the text you quoted I was questioning the value of running an 07 car not the 09 test so the values they collected would no be relavant.

I think the FIA personel present at the f60 test would ensure no parts were changed during the sesion but it would be hard to ensure that the car started with old parts, if you read DaveKillens' post he makes the point well.

*gets real...*

Rob W

James wrote:I think the FIA personel present at the f60 test would ensure no parts were changed during the sesion but it would be hard to ensure that the car started with old parts, if you read DaveKillens' post he makes the point well.

*gets real...*
If this were the case, which it isn't going by people I know personally who've work in F1 teams for over a decade, the 2nd half of my post gives a pretty simple outline of why allowing him to test is patently unfair on other teams not to mention irrelevant in terms of car familiarisation or safety.

That was the get real part... and not aimed at you specifically but people who seem to be arguing/implying there is some sort of safety need for Schumy to be allowed a test when only at the last race it was shown otherwise by someone who'd never been in an F1 car on a track.

xpensive

On the other hand, Mario Andretti was 42 when he took pole at Monza 1982, when making a guest-appearence for Ferrari after the tragic loss of Gilles Villeneuve, another big name.

After that, he kept racing in CART for at least a dozen years more, but thats perhaps not really the same thing?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

jddh1

ISLAMATRON wrote:
jddh1 wrote:
James wrote:Hi guys, I'm sorry if i'm missing something obvious but what would a team have to gain from running a 2007 spec car?
NOTHING....but the driver can test his fitness.
They tested using 2008 cars with 2009 DF levels this winter, they could easily do the same with 2007 cars

The "spirit" of the test ban rule was specifically to lower costs first and foremost, MS testing the F60 will cost more than zero so it is against both the letter & the spirit of the rule.
I disagree. The 2007 car is WAY too old to try and simulate anything for 2009. And let's not forget, all the teams that used the "intermediate" cars were the ones that were behind. The ones going for the new design right away and not bothering with the hybrid cars started the year at the front.
In addition, the reports have been that he's using the 2007 car with GP2 tires. No mention of 2009 hybrid parts used. (It would also be silly for Ferrari to waste time to manufacture hybrid parts for only one day test.) Until there are reports otherwise I'll believe he's just using the car to test his endurance and health.
Don't forget, he races only if he is convinced that he will be fit enough.
http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/n ... 5758.shtml

peteskar

I can't wait to watch this race!! I think it will great to watch Schumi tear it up on the track again. Another podium for ferrari
“… the last time someone was as wrong as you, was when a politician stepped off an aeroplane in 1939 waving a piece of paper in the air saying there will be no war with Germany ”

- Jeremy Clarkson

jon-mullen

Stonewalling to get the test?
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

SZ
SZ

Nah... test won't help his neck, though it's Ferrari and MS and anything will be milked for advantage.

SZ
SZ

DaveKillens wrote:What I mentioned in another post was my fear that since Michael came back, his younger brother, Ralf may try something similar too. With new teams seeking experienced drivers, Ralf has a window of opportunity to get back into the big show. Heaven help us all.
F1 fans the world over share your fear of the return of the Schumacher family mobile chicane.

I wake up in a cold sweat over it occasionally.

mx_tifoso

Ferrari are already cashing in on $chumachers return...

Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

djones

He did nearly 70 laps in testing. Not sure how medical tests will mean anything.

If he managed it without pain then he will race. It either hurt or it didn't.

modbaraban

Twitter wrote:
sniffpetrol: BREAKING NEWS: Michael Schumacher's head has 'come off' during testing.

RacingManiac

sniffing too much petrol....lol

Giblet

I know that MS raced without TC in the past, but in a modern car?

Was the TC outlawed on 2007, right after he retired?

To be blinding fast in a TC car, and then going to a non TC, even for MS, could be a bit of a challenge at first speed-wise.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute