Schumi comes back

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Chaparral

Re: Schumi comes back

WhiteBlue wrote:This arguing of cars having TC or not is completely irrelevant. The discussion was the same in 2008 when TC was banned. People were saying that Michael would roll that car if he ever drove it. Heap of bull manure. He came out to Spain one day in winter and was fastest driver on track. The test drivers, Kimi and Massa wre not as fast with that car. He was drafted in by Ferrari to do the first evaluation. Do you think Ferrari would do that if they were not convinced that Michael was their best non TC driver to develop that car?
Correct he's tested both 2007 and 2008 cars a few times and thats on the record - begs the question why would Ferrari ask for a special test for him in the 2009 car - to familiarize himself with the car I dont think so - make your own assumptions about the reasoning. Whatever you may think this is a pure marketing exercise due to the unfortunate circumstances with the Massa accident - its presented Ecclestone with a perfect opportunity to boost the profile of the show and TV ratings and bums on seats with the return of the golden boy - it won't matter if the german doesn't win period.
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs - there's also the negative side' - Hunter S Thompson

Ciro Pabón

Drifting off topic, guys: it's Schumacher comeback what we're talking here, ain't we?

As this is a topic that could bring some infighting, please, do not post any more personal comments. I find wise to assume that everybody here has seen all the races (and if he hasn't, he will). The only one allowed to pontificate around this place is me...
Ciro

kilcoo316

DaveKillens wrote:<SNIP>
:lol: :lol: :lol:

What a load of pish.

I'm surprised the writer was able to remove his head from the lawyers anus long enough to write that!

About the only thing worth taking from that was 12.5%...

azarion

are you forgetting his drive in the jordan in 91 ? and the interveiws with contless drivers that , yes they had traction control but when you have close to 950hp in a 575k car , traction control only does so mutch , and why was ervin and rubens not as sucsesfull ? i saw a clip about scheys 05 f1 car , his throttle has twice as mutch throw then rubens

nipo

Probably a newbie question & opinion here... What is the use of traction control? I have the following understandings and observations:

1. TCS prevents wheel spin due to excessive power to the wheels that goes over the limit of what the contact patch between the tires and the tarmac can withstand.

2. The years with TCS we still saw people spin off.

3. Even if TCS completely prevents you from kicking the rear of the car loose, you still got understeer to deal with.

4. Throttle control, together with brakes, serves the additional purpose of weight-shifting.

5. Drivers mentioned that, with the recent removal of TCS, getting out of slow corners would require a bit more attention. The rest? About the same.

I get the feeling that TCS had to do with starts and slow 2nd gear turns more than anything else. I also get the idea that throttle control still has a lot to do with how the car behaves in a mid to high speed corner even with TCS installed. Furthermore, I do not believe that teams would put in such a strong TCS as to limit the driver's ability to control the rear through throttle application.

Having said all, I am an outsider of racing, so experienced guys please jump in and share your opinions~~

The FOZ

I'm not terribly well versed in how F1 traction control works, but then again, with all the secrecy, I wouldn't expect that anyone here is.

However, my understanding is that TC works by sensing a wheel about to break loose, and cuts power to it, applies brake, or some combination of both.

That still is only half of throttle control.

How deep you run into a turn before letting off on the throttle is another side of the coin. How progressively you let off, and how far you let off is another. TC, to my knowledge, does not do this.

But bottom line - When Schumi had TC, everyone else likely had it. When he didn't, everyone else likely didn't.

But hey - we'll see in two weeks!

RacingManiac

traction control should only help when a car is traction limited, which in F1 car is slow corners since they make a lot of downforce, this is not to say they don't work at high speed, but their effect is negligible, or at least less pronounced. As that video above shown, taking the corner example of Bridge at Silverstone(ironically the corner Michael broke his leg in 1999). Its a 160mph corner with lift(or no lift these days) on turn in and carry the throttle out on exit, thats not a "TCS corner"....and TCS doesn't drive the car for him, doesn't lift when a corner is coming up....

So to say driving a car with TCS does not need good throttle control, I think one need to look at his definition of driving.....I am sure Jacque Villeneuve will disagree with you after 2008 Le Mans....

timbo

RacingManiac wrote:As that video above shown, taking the corner example of Bridge at Silverstone(ironically the corner Michael broke his leg in 1999).
He crashed at Stove, just for the note.

WhiteBlue

DaveKillens wrote: But throttle control cannot be proven or worshipped when there is no requirement.
Please go back some posts and explain the steering and throttle traces in comparison with Herbert. Do you think a computer applied that throttle? How about the other person driving the same car? Was his TC worse calibrated? The other example of being fastest driver in winter testing 2008 with a SECU car on his first or second day and after a complete season out of the car. None of the other guys like Alonso or Hamilton were that fast. Is that the performance of a driver who can't drive without TC? All this talk is simply about a non issue.

The topic here is about his comeback. I will give an opinion. If that Ferrari has the performance and reliability Michael will put it on the podium and finish races ahead of Kimi.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

djones

How come he is now testig in go karts?

Surely they offer no practice for F1?

Why isnt he driving the F2007 all the time???

I dont get it :?

mx_tifoso

Schumacher takes to karting for further preperations - F1Technical
"Karting has a very good training effect, that is why today I just jumped into a testing day of the Tony Kart team in Lonato. There is nothing better for my preparations at the moment, in terms of steering wheel forces for example karting is even more difficult than Formula One. The fact that it has been boiling hot here is simulating the temperatures expected for Valencia."
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

dedge

Does anybody know if he is using a "special" helmet for this kart session?
I know that some years ago, some F1 pilots used some ballast integrated into the helmet to simulate the effect of g forces.
'cause karting is good for the reflexes, fingers strenght (to grip the wheel)... but how do you simulate g forces?
Or maybe it is just to recover is neck?

Scotracer

dedge wrote:Does anybody know if he is using a "special" helmet for this kart session?
I know that some years ago, some F1 pilots used some ballast integrated into the helmet to simulate the effect of g forces.
'cause karting is good for the reflexes, fingers strenght (to grip the wheel)... but how do you simulate g forces?
Or maybe it is just to recover is neck?
A proper kart will generate 3G in the corners...
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

RacingManiac

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77609

Some additional detail in the Autosport entry, in that they mention the GP2 spec slick is what is usually used when running the Clienti cars....

SavantGuarde

Schumi is right the force required to turn the wheel in what he was testing is substantial.
If anyone here is familiar with karting in the UK there are major differances to domestic UK racing and what Schumi was doing. The reason the steering forces are so high is because they are racing on rubber. and I mean that the compounds they use are so sticky that literally a SHEET of rubber is laid onto the track, this requires a particular style to drive but also makes it that much harder to turn the wheel.

Its worth pointing out (sorry if its been mentioned before) but its actually a gearbox (6 speed if I remember correctly) 125cc kart schumi is testing and these are very quick machines on a short circuit. a day of testing in these things can be a brutal physical affair!