Knights of Spamalot, draw your swords!!!!

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.

Should some 'trusted regular' members have the ability to delete posts for spam purposes?

Yes
78%
No
23%

Total votes: 40

Giblet

Re: Knights of Spamalot, draw your swords!!!!

I don't want to make Principessa jealous.

And of course that is the only reason that the room is not booked.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

modbaraban

richard_leeds wrote: Not sure if the bots are programmed to deal with that sort of approach?
In my board I introduced such a simple thing as 'type 4 random numbers' in the registration form. Exactly 4 and numbers only. Not a single bot managed to register with that for almost 2 years. It stopped them dead. Not sure if this is easy to do with phpBB.
Giblet wrote:I'm all for full frontal nudity, but penis in ass is not what I come to this site for.
The thread name is what amused me. I learned to avoid the topics with words like 'nike' and 'iPhone' in the title. With that one, I honestly thought it was a question from some student, I though 'wut? hm.. that must be some new engineering term' :lol:

Steven
Owner

Well, I've beefed up the CAPTCHA image to be a little harder, hoping that will do for now.

We'll see how it turns out...

And if that doesn't prove effective, I'll remove the captcha and add a question as that sounds pretty effective (although I would presume that we'd have to change the question from time to time then).

xpensive

Perhaps you can try "Name one Colombian Spaniard who is intereted in F1?" :lol:
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Steven
Owner

There was spam deleted moments ago, although I'm not sure if the user registered before my changes of after them. I'll continue my lookout for a "simple" solution just in case ;)

nosh

it doesnt seem to be working. half the posts on the latest post thingos are all spam. someone needs to spam the spammers.

Steven
Owner

nosh wrote:it doesnt seem to be working. half the posts on the latest post thingos are all spam. someone needs to spam the spammers.
Indeed, hence I replaced the CAPTCHA with a fairly simple question.
I hope this will do the trick... :|

tk421

I'm just curious here, but I haven't experienced any of these problems...I basically have no idea what you all are talking about; does anyone know why that might be?

:?: Just a bit dumbfounded! :wink: Thanks!
Best regards. I guess this explains why I'm not at my post!

Giblet

tk421 wrote:I'm just curious here, but I haven't experienced any of these problems...I basically have no idea what you all are talking about; does anyone know why that might be?

:?: Just a bit dumbfounded! :wink: Thanks!

I already told you before, that just because you are on not on the board when most of the spam happens, doesn't make it not a problem.

Users like myself and many others report these messages and they are removed before you come on the board and read them.

Trust us, it really is happening, and we are not delusional.

I'll take a screen shot if it happens again, since you seem to need proof.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Principessa

Of course it is really happening. I'm the one who deleted around 25 spammessages yesterday.... Hopefully it's fixed now!

Steven
Owner

The silence in this thread says quite a lot really ;)
So far the anti-spam measures appear to be working fine... sssst

Richard

Tomba wrote:The silence in this thread says quite a lot really ;)
I wonder if you have stats to monitor the number of registrations that fail the simple question?

Whet is the simple question? It's tempting to register a new profile just to see the changes you've made ;)

jddh1

Tomba's simple question:

"How old is Principessa's gardner's daughter's auntie?"

Giblet

Nice work Tomba.... cool to see users rallying to make the site better and an administrator who listens.

Steven
Owner

richard_leeds wrote:
Tomba wrote:The silence in this thread says quite a lot really ;)
I wonder if you have stats to monitor the number of registrations that fail the simple question?

Whet is the simple question? It's tempting to register a new profile just to see the changes you've made ;)
You can just log out and go to the registration page just to check it out ;)
I would strongly discourage double user accounts and they will be deleted if used against the rules.