F1 in Schools Help - basizeland's project

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
basizeland

Re: F1 in Schools Help

Hi ashmclarenf1 I dont know a whole lot about aerodynamics but from what I understand you dont want the red pressure areas but you dont want the low pressure areas either as it is affecting the flow around the car, so you are aiming to have as little change to the flow as possible but then again I'm sure the others from the forum could elaborate on this and correct me if I'm wrong.

ashf1mclaren

thanks basizeland for little help there
Yellow wakes me up in the morning. Yellow gets me on the bike every day. Yellow has taught me the true meaning of sacrifice. Yellow makes me suffer. Yellow is the reason I'm here.

Lance Armstrong quote

flameracing

hey bret
just found out ill be at the nationals to watch
i think your design will run well and im anxious to see what it runs best of luck
i like salty peanuts

basizeland

Cool I look forward to seeing you there and hopefully our car stands up to your expectations.

Mystery Steve

basizeland wrote:... from what I understand you dont want the red pressure areas but you dont want the low pressure areas either as it is affecting the flow around the car, so you are aiming to have as little change to the flow as possible ...
That's the general idea. Changing pressure means that some time of work is done to change the motion of the fluid. If you minimize the pressure change, you minimize the work and thus the drag. This is why wings have what is called induced drag, or drag to lift. As the lift (or downforce depending on your axis system) increases, the pressure changes have to increase as well, which increases there is more work being done on the fluid, and thus more drag results. Since downforce doesn't play a role with this cars, you would be looking to maintain the pressure as consistent as you can.

ashf1mclaren

hi mystery steve thank for that help :D is there any type of pressure e.g. high or low which is best for a drag racing f1 car? :?: :?:
Yellow wakes me up in the morning. Yellow gets me on the bike every day. Yellow has taught me the true meaning of sacrifice. Yellow makes me suffer. Yellow is the reason I'm here.

Lance Armstrong quote

flameracing

bret if u spun one of your wheels with ur finger how long does you wheel spin for its a bearing test. The new rules for 2010 restrict you from making the middle section clear you lucky ur still working with 2009 rules.
i like salty peanuts

basizeland

Hi flame racing if we spin a wheel with our finger it spins for roughly 1 and half minutes. Yeah im so glad that we dont have to comply with the new rules coz it is starting to restrict a lot of the things that make the car faster.

Ciro Pabón

basizeland wrote:... im so glad that we dont have to comply with the new rules coz it is starting to restrict a lot of the things that make the car faster.
... and that's why it's called F1 In Schools... ;) it brings restrictions in design to the school.
Ciro

flameracing

thats quite a good bearing them a team I new there bearings went for 1 an a half hours. They were really expensive. They had alot of money to work with. Baizeland to have a even faster car try to even less surface area on the front off the car if you have less there it will most probably reduce drag (it probably a bit late),maybe it good to lubricate the tether thing to.And what is the product number of your bearings im thinking of getting them

Baizland u think theyll let me run a few test runs on my new car.
i like salty peanuts

basizeland

Re: F1 in Schools Help - basizeland's project

Hey everyone I just got back from the Australian National Final where we won the whole competition so now we are representing Australia at the 2010 World Championship which is being held in Singapore in September. I would like to thank everyone for helping me out and hope that you guys will be willing to keep giving me ideas and and feedback on our car. One of the reason that we won was because of the collaboration that I did with this forum.

Thanks again
Brett

tok-tokkie

Brilliant. You asked good questions and responded to the guidance from Flyingfrog in particular.

ashf1mclaren

basizeland well done to you and your team what was your winning time?

Lance Armstrong quote

Jersey Tom

Congratulations. Nice work!
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Mystery Steve

Congratulations, Brett! Out of curiosity, how do the times compare to the previous competition you were in? Have the "developments" helped?