F1 in Schools Help - basizeland's project

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
basizeland
basizeland

Re: F1 in Schools Help - basizeland's project

I had a look at acer bearings and they have some really good stuff and it is cheap too. The ceramic bearings would be the best to get wouldn't they. What size do you recommend or should we just get a few sizes and test them, the only problem with that is our wheels are manufactured to fit the specific size bearing in them. 2 bearings in each wheel would probably be a better idea because this will stop the wheel from rocking side to side.

cbtan78
cbtan78

Did you all try Boca Bearings? Seems that a lot of world championship team use their ball bearings to good effect.

Smokes
Smokes

If you can ask them for weights i would recomend geting some flanged 1/12th scale front wheel bearings. http://rc4less.com/Bearings_&_Diff_Ball ... _info.html
As the have to perform flawlessly to aide control of 1/12th scale car look on you tube 1/12th scale R/C world championships.

more info about 1/12th scale cars and tips look here
http://www.carsrcracing.co.uk/?page_id=136 As most of what your trying to do is to maximise the effiency of the drivetrain to make batts lass 8 min of 10.5 second laps

cbtan78
cbtan78

i saw the new rules about the world championship car having a virtual cargo of 30mm by 50mm by 10mm. What is going to happen to the slot which you have done in the middle section? Surely, that is not allowed anymore.

basizeland
basizeland

Yeah the new rules suck as they limit a lot of the innovations in the car design as you are restricted to the basic design.

So we are in the process of making our car comply with the world championship rules because it also states that you can't touch the slot that is in the balsa blank.

tok-tokkie
tok-tokkie

I must say that the rules are so restrictive there really is very little that can be done. I had some ideas but they are all not allowed because the position of the gas cylinder is fixed - my thoughts were to move it far forwards and low with a nozzle behind so that the rear of the car was in a red high pressure CFD zone & put the rear wing inside the nozzle with the wire guide attached. Possibly have air induction from the front into the venturi of the nozzle to remove the red high pressure zone at the front (discussion required on that idea as I am not at all certain about it).
Now it is all about kit cars with differences in time in the 2nd & 3rd decimal places.

basizeland
basizeland

Yeah I believe that they have taken it to far so that the cars are going to look so similar and it will all go down to the canister and the wheel system that you are using. That would be a great idea if we could use that idea because it would be different to the rest of the cars and should be faster.

It all comes down to thousandths of a second

cbtan78
cbtan78

so it all comes down to the bearings and wheel design.
by the way, how long can your wheel spin on a single flick before it comes to a stop. i have heard of the carter bearings wheel system that can spin on 1 min 47 seconds.
GOOOSH....

http://www.carterbearings.co.uk/news_f1.htm

Rugby GP
Rugby GP

Basizeland, can you please give me the details of your wheels, i think that it is a brilliant idea having a side that doesn't turn, as less force is required to turn it (f=ma). Are you competing in the 2010/2011 competition?

basizeland
basizeland

Hi Rugby GP yeah I am competing at the 2010 world finals held in Singapore this September

Rugby GP
Rugby GP

Hi
I was wondering, for the pit stand in the Regional Event, what area is given to you?

Thank you very much

Izzy410
Izzy410

Guys, Have been spending hours reading from first to last. Long. and interesting.

Currently im with a team from Malaysia. Hopefully no one kills me for extracting information from this forum. Credits given of course. But per to say the problem with my country is the lack of local suppliers and manufacturers. Importing parts are very expensive and choices are limited.

I just have a few things that seems to bother my head. Does one use turbulence on purpose to reduce flow separation on cars like this? Like vortex generators etc.

and which is theoretically better. A SST type nose (those pointy nose) or the more bullet like nose? Both seems to give the same Cd.

and one amateur question. how do you read these readings properly? i mean interpretation.

Integrated Drag coefficients
CDx = 4.993419E-01
CDy = 1.809337E-01
CDz = 7.915108E-02

Integrated pressure forces
Fx = -3.342333E-01 N
Fy = -1.211076E-01 N
Fz = 5.297958E-02 N

I've tried googling and researching but this is my first time posting on a forum to ask :) Hope somebody helps. Seeing all the talks this forum had.

Oh and competing for 2010/2011 comp. Gj basilisk for worlds. I've seen the results not bad. Raluca from my country failed to top overall winner even as knockout champs
Technical Engineer
Team Adroit
SMK Aminuddin Baki
We're Just Fast
Question is, Are YOU?

tok-tokkie
tok-tokkie

I would read those forces as:
Fx = -0.0334233 N
Fy = -0.01211076 N
Fz = 0.005297958 N
They being the forces in the X,Y & Z directions in your model.

I work with simple CAD/CAM which does not include analysis like that. It is just what I expect those numbers to mean, not what I know they mean.

pudin
pudin

Izzy410 wrote:Guys, Have been spending hours reading from first to last. Long. and interesting.

Currently im with a team from Malaysia. Hopefully no one kills me for extracting information from this forum. Credits given of course. But per to say the problem with my country is the lack of local suppliers and manufacturers. Importing parts are very expensive and choices are limited.

I just have a few things that seems to bother my head. Does one use turbulence on purpose to reduce flow separation on cars like this? Like vortex generators etc.

and which is theoretically better. A SST type nose (those pointy nose) or the more bullet like nose? Both seems to give the same Cd.

and one amateur question. how do you read these readings properly? i mean interpretation.

Integrated Drag coefficients
CDx = 4.993419E-01
CDy = 1.809337E-01
CDz = 7.915108E-02

Integrated pressure forces
Fx = -3.342333E-01 N
Fy = -1.211076E-01 N
Fz = 5.297958E-02 N

I've tried googling and researching but this is my first time posting on a forum to ask :) Hope somebody helps. Seeing all the talks this forum had.

Oh and competing for 2010/2011 comp. Gj basilisk for worlds. I've seen the results not bad. Raluca from my country failed to top overall winner even as knockout champs

These readings show that CDx = your frontal drag which is drag ofcourse is 0.4993419
Your CDz = your car's lift is 0.0795108
BTW,see you in Kuala Lumpur this 13-15 Nov
Rykou F1 Team SMK Sultan Ismail JB
8)
I love my mom

Izzy410
Izzy410

tok-tokkie wrote:I would read those forces as:
Fx = -0.0334233 N
Fy = -0.01211076 N
Fz = 0.005297958 N
They being the forces in the X,Y & Z directions in your model.

I work with simple CAD/CAM which does not include analysis like that. It is just what I expect those numbers to mean, not what I know they mean.
Thank you for the reply

Okay i understand the concept of the index but was wondering what is the unit of it. A negative reading would mean opposite direction of force isn't it? Like in Fx, negative would mean the force opposite of the car while Fz would be (as it is positive) upwards or lift.

And to pudin, of course, would be seeing you on competition day. Team Adroit SMK Aminuddin Baki. and thank you for the reply.
Technical Engineer
Team Adroit
SMK Aminuddin Baki
We're Just Fast
Question is, Are YOU?