Ferrari F10

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Scotracer

Re: Ferrari F2010/F61 Codename 661

It could be run like that (although the endplates would have to be even bigger for 2009/2010).
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

Astro1

@scarbs, thanks again for the reply.

Another question along the rear end of the car. With the next year's car design being strongly influenced by the new diffuser loophole, does anybody foresee any significant interaction between the diffuser and the rear wing?

Also what of the crash structure. I think we've seen that the F60's for example sits right in the way of the upper diffuser channel. I'm wondering what the teams will do to the crash structure to increase the potential of the diffuser.

scarbs

The upper rear wing is not really influencing the diffuser, however the lower beam wing has been extended by brawn and force india to create an effect over the exit of the DDD. No doubt rear suspension placement will help here too. but the rules have stifled potential in this area.
The rear crash structure needs to sit between 200-400mm above the RP, with a fixed x-section. Raising this to its maximum and shaping its underside will be important to clear the updraft flow coming from the diffuser and the diffuser itself. You will see Red bulls rear impact structure starts almost at floor level and rises up very gently, awful for the diffusers capacity.

ringo

BMW had a very interesting idea with having cooling openings along the base of the side pod adjacent to the floor. It was in order to dissipate the KERS heat.
It would be interesting if this concept is couple with narrowing and undercutting of the sidepods even more now that there is more cooling area.

I would suppose that even if there are any oil coolers involved they could be placed as low and benefit from the openings.

I know this is the ferrari thread and all, but since BMW is no more, might as well. :|
For Sure!!

Astro1

The use of the DD diffuser is IMO going to involve a move away from the basic progression.

Ferrari (and other teams for that matter) has for years IMO adapted existing designs to new regulations without any significant redesign with much of the designs trying to get back or replicate what WAS removed by new regulations stifling creativity.

I think that McLaren and the RBR are the best examples of bigger steps away from their previous years car's and have created the most changed projects.

I'm wondering how Ferrari will react to the DD, as it's a big design step.

McLaren have already said that their design path is significantly departed to what is on the car currently.

It will be interesting to see the Ferrari solution and rear end packaging. Then there's that fuel tank.

raceman

Astro1 wrote:I'm in no way suggesting that this thing, is what the cars are going to look like other than I like the way it looks, BUT? Is there any sense in the artists interpretation of the rear of the car? How far from the tech regs would such a design be and would it even be practical?

whatever this thing may be, but boy, I love it =P~

just a wild thought - had this been a real F1 race car in the hands of Fernando and Felipe \:D/ , I wonder what things it will do =D>

:twisted:

StrFerrari4Ever

Astro1

Real possibility!

When your team's parent makes money selling high performance race cars largely based on technology demonstrated and developed using the race team and your success is based on your own development and ideas, there is a reason to stay. However, when that sports governing body starts to create an artificial spectacle through the use of bogus rules based on "equalization" killing off free technological competition, then it makes the whole idea "not within your interests". Especially when a HUGE portion of your company's success and marketing efforts come from the very principal.

In fact, the only reason I think that Ferrari even signed up for the next 3 years, was because there was not enough time to figure out a good logical path on what to do next.

"we have a contract that finishes in 2012 so we have time to to figure out what to do next"

"the sport needs to renew to revive interest and to once again establish credibility with rules that don't change every day"

Those at the top have tried so hard to bring money to the sport and moved away from the very model that made it a success. TECHNOLOGY! Not a fastest racing series with handicapping.

Technology, was what ruled F1 and made people watch. What is it now? Circus KERS stunts, wing adjustments, no refueling? What does that have to do with safety OR technology? A monkey can fit a bigger tank. The organizers are doing all they can to create NASCAR and dumb down the sport.

The sport has lost a lot from the height of my interest to what it is today and I wouldn't be surprised to see my interest in it vain around 2012 just as Ferrari's.

ISLAMATRON

The teams called for the refueling ban, not the FIA, and most of the rest of your points are bogus... Ferrari is just probably angling to sell out FOTA the same way they did the GPMA and get a nice hunk of change out of it like last time and to get back their veto powers.

More Ferrari BS.

Timomies

I cannot remember excatly what Felipe said, but yesterday in Ferrari chat he told that "new car looks quite different" (or something like that, can't remember :() If someone else remembers his excact words, please tell :)

Astro1

His exact words were

“I saw the model of the new car in the wind tunnel: it’s different from the actual one, also because there will be new rules. Let’s hope it will be fast!”

http://www.ferrari.com/English/News/Pag ... elipe.aspx

Timomies

Thanks! I remembered it totally wrong :D

shiggy

Astro1 wrote:His exact words were

“I saw the model of the new car in the wind tunnel: it’s different from the actual one, also because there will be new rules. Let’s hope it will be fast!”

That seems like an odd translation. Makes it sound like the '10 wind tunnel model is different from what the finished '10 car will be, but I would guess he meant that next year's car is a big change compared to this year's ("actual" meaning current race car).

Astro1

I think that is correct. The windtunnel model is different from the current car. But then why wouldn't it be.

Alexpcenteno

shiggy wrote:
Astro1 wrote:His exact words were

That seems like an odd translation. Makes it sound like the '10 wind tunnel model is different from what the finished '10 car will be, but I would guess he meant that next year's car is a big change compared to this year's ("actual" meaning current race car).

If you bring the translation to portugues it is clear that he was talking about the difference between the current (F60) compared to next year's car.
:)
"Racing, competing, it's in my blood. It's part of me, it's part of my life; I have been doing it all my life and it stands out above everything else." - Ayrton Senna