Ferrari F10

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
timbo

Re: Ferrari F2010/F61 Codename 661

Not a whole lot of info, but nonetheless - new car is called 281.
I wonder what 2 stands for - cylinder rounded cylinder volume?

FLC
FLC

That's the chassis number.

Astro1

Yeah, the 281 is simply the next chassis number not the name of the car.

Most are predicting the launch will be at the end of Jan right before the Feb 1 test.

Ferrari F2010 launch expected at end of January

And this from ferrari.com
...in Maranello, the team is totally focused on the preparation of the new car, which is due to make its testing debut on 1st February at the “Ricardo Tormo” circuit, at Cheste, near Valencia, during what will be the first joint test session for the teams taking part in the 2010 Formula 1 World Championship. In the car assembly area, work has been going on for several days already on the first chassis, which goes by the code name of 281, while also on-going is the series of crash tests necessary to homologate various components.

timbo

Thanks for correction!

Challengestradale

I can't wait to see Fernando in red!! :D

Astro1

http://ferrarif1forum.com/2010/01/10/fi ... ns-emerge/

Gazzetta dello published a full page supporting details that we have suggested in our preview article of the 2010 Ferrari.

The illustration is drawn by F1 technical journalist, Giorgio Piola.

The cockpit top is high. As predicted, there is a Red Bull style channel in the nose.

The diffuser and rear crash structures feature a Red Bull style upward positioning to allow for better airflow.

The article suggests the fuel tank has doubled the size to near 240 liters.

The oil tank on the F2010 has been moved from in front of the engine to the rear in order to make room for the much larger fuel tank.

The wheelbase is 15cm longer than the F60.

The car, will be carrying more than double the amount of fuel as during race starts last year, but overall, the weight of the car at the start will only be 30% heavier than last year. This is not to say that the chassis itself weights that much.

PlatinumZealot

The airbox should be forced to have a slightly different shape now, with the extended fuel tank.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

segedunum

It's a Red Bull catch-up design - concocted about a year behind everyone else who put the effort into understanding the 2009 regulations. Ferrari are a long way behind. If they make that car competitive considering all the work other teams did in 2009 with the current regulations it will be mighty impressive, because they won't be able to throw testing resources at it if they haven't got it right next month.

Islamatron, despite the provocative nature of his posts, was right about Ferrari's engine though. It was worryingly thirsty at Spa when up against the Mercedes in the FI last year and I'll be most intrigued as to how it fares this season.

Downforce

Larger scan:
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/8039/ferrari2010b.jpg

Can somebody please translate less obvious changes(3,4,5,7)?

ISLAMATRON

segedunum wrote:It's a Red Bull catch-up design - concocted about a year behind everyone else who put the effort into understanding the 2009 regulations. Ferrari are a long way behind. If they make that car competitive considering all the work other teams did in 2009 with the current regulations it will be mighty impressive, because they won't be able to throw testing resources at it if they haven't got it right next month.
How is Ferrari any further back(aero wise) from Red bull than anyone else? They are playing the same catch up game McLaren, Renault, "BMW", Williams, FIF1 all are to both Reb Bull and Merc. Thats the beauty of a brand new year, anyone can come with a trick bit and trump the field. Ferrari has just as much chance as McLaren does, they werent that far from each other last year. I'd actually be a bit surprised if either were any significant amount faster than the Merc or the RBR...aero wise.

ringo

Not only that, Red bull has to back track on redesigning for the DDD.
Their pull-rod suspension, very low gearbox and other novelties may have to be altered so much, that they may be as behind as other teams trying to copy them.
Ferrari will get the car right, they had enough time and know the regulations well. Their car may actually be a step further than Red bull's.
I am very interested in the oil tank shape, and if it will detract from having a smooth and low tail end.
For Sure!!

donskar

[
quote="segedunum"]It's a Red Bull catch-up design - concocted about a year behind everyone else who put the effort into understanding the 2009 regulations. Ferrari are a long way behind. If they make that car competitive considering all the work other teams did in 2009 with the current regulations it will be mighty impressive, because they won't be able to throw testing resources at it if they haven't got it right next month.
Wow! You got all that from a cut-away sketch and some Italian journo guesswork? Or did you use tea leaves?

Let's see here: Ferrari's "catch-up design" is "about a year behind everyone else." SO "everyone else" had their "Red Bull catch-up design" BEFORE the first race of last season?

Pills? Pipe? Needle? Alcohol? Share, please.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Astro1

That Italian journo, has been covering F1 for the past 40 years, so I'd say his sketch is likely to be close to the real thing.

This area, looks interesting.

Particularly the driver head protection area. It seems like the sidepod extends? Wraps around the monocoque a bit? We can't see the front but is that another inlet of some sort or a sidepod extention?

I was told, that Ferrari was working on doing some reworking of the air box area. (I realize that is not the airbox but it looks strange).

The sidepods themselves look strange to me.