Pirelli will take Bridgestone's place after 2010

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Giblet
Giblet

Re: Bridgestone leaves after 2010

Jersey Tom wrote:
Giblet wrote:How soon we forgot about terms like 'blistering' once Goodyear left the sport.
You may want to review your history. Tires blistered at.. one race? In 1997? After a repave?
Giblet wrote:Remember when they first started talking about slicks, they were talking about going to a more traditional race tire, with more wheel and less rubber sidewall with a lower profile.

If they decide to go this route, it could mean that more companies would be capable of making the tires for F1.
Don't think so. I'd go so far as to say it has nothin to do with it.
I remember distinctly the Mclaren of Senna having blistering problems in qualifying. It was something that happened on more than one occasion, I am pretty sure. What source do you have that say only one race? It is possible I am mixing up CART from that era, who was also on Eagles at the time, and also had blistering problems. Point is, Goodyears blistered. Modern tires that are not Eagles GRAIN.

And your second point is completely wrong, as Pirelli said today they don't want to come to F1 as the tires have no relevance to street cars. That relevance is what I was talking about. Maybe I should have said "willing" instead of "capable".

I just did a google, which you did not. You chose to pull the 1997 year from your arse, as obviously you may need to review your history.

My cursory search found this:

"Finally Piquet convinced the team to use their active suspension. Piquet made the pole and start in the front, scaping from Berger, Boutsen, Mansell, Prost and Senna. Mansell recovered 2nd place, but Piquet had a good difference when at lap 22 he came to change tyres. Again Williams made a bad service, but Piquet could return exactly in front his team-mate. Senna took the lead, but as usual he wouldn�t stop for tyre change. So, Piquet with almost 10 seconds behind, started his pursuit to the lead. He was managing with some blisters on his tyres, but was reducing his disadvantage in half second per lap. Then at lap 43, Senna with 4,5 seconds of advantage for Piquet, arrived to Parabolica corner with Ghinzani�s Ligier ahead. Suddenly he dived inside Ghinzani, braking too late, going off track. Piquet retook the lead and slowed down, reducing from 1�27� to 1�31�. But once more Senna surprising everyone: he not only managed to avoid the barriers as retook his rythim. He made two laps in 1`30� to clean his tyres and start his pursuit to Piquet. The last three laps were unforggetable. Both breaking the record of the track and cruising the line with 1�8� seconds for Piquet! So amazing that the race director didn�t give the flag to Piquet and receive a big mockery from the public. What a race and what a first victory for the "

That was 1987.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Giblet wrote:And your second point is completely wrong, as Pirelli said today they don't want to come to F1 as the tires have no relevance to street cars. That relevance is what I was talking about.
Edit-

No comment.
Last edited by Jersey Tom on 05 Nov 2009, 03:34, edited 1 time in total.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Giblet
Giblet

Your facts are as useless as your sarcasm in this particular instance.

Both are made up on the spot it appears.

Relevance can be as little as shape, so a buyer can relate the sport more. A Michelin on a le Mans car looks a lot more like a low profile wheel tire combo I could get for my car.

This is something that was being looked at by the FIA.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Giblet
Giblet

*BUMP*

I was wondering if anyone had any new input or thoughts about who might replace Bridgestone.

I was reminded when I drove under the giant Yokohama tire at Laguna yesterday, which is now a giant Cooper tire.

This will start to impact the teams about halfway through the season as they start working on next years chassis designs, so it's sooner than later that crunch time will come.

Any guesses I have are purely guesses.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Seemingly the 3 companies intrested are Good Year, Hancook and Yokahama. Good year have had good in road talks, but they stalled the other 2 have confirmed to the FIA and FOM that they are interested in supply, but havnt held any talks so far.

The thing is that the FIA and FOM need to come to an aggreement with FOTA over the choice of manufacturer. The thing is that the teams have been asking Bridgestone to stay, as they need to have their formal notice of withdrawl in to the FIA and FOM before the first EU round of the year i think.

If no manufacturer is found, by a certain time, the teams will have to find their own supply, whitch may be cheaper for the tyre company, but not a good commercial option for FOM who want a commercial say in who gets the contract, but they way im led to belive is that if there isnt a supplyer for a set date, the teams themselvs can find a tyre supplyer of their choice. And from what i have also read, that most of the teams that finished last year were generally happy with Bridgestone, so would stay with them, and the one that was a little less happy than the rest could be Renault, who would posibly want Michelen back.

Im not so sure about the 4 new teams and who they would want, but if USF1 made it thru the first year and wanted tyres, i would like to think they would go with Bridgestone, but under the Firestone brand for the US market.

But, i think there should be a decission soon. The teams are at present trying to persuade Bridgestone to stay, as they are happy with them generally.

WhiteBlue

The new tyre rule was partly designed to reduce cost for Bridgestone. It was speculated that FiA/FOM would re negotiate with Bridgestone to try and keep them in F1. No idea if that is happening right now.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

ESPImperium.. you and I definitely are not getting the same information...

I just can't see any tire manufacturer being interested unless there are dramatic changes.

Depending on how this all pans out, results could be pretty disastrous.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

gcdugas

Too bad the N@z! Max abused Michelin. Frenchie Todt could have had a real tire company lined up.
Innovation over refinement is the prefered path to performance. -- Get rid of the dopey regs in F1

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Here's the bottom line: When it comes to F1 (and most things in general), you gotta pay to play. In this case, you gotta pay a lot. It's not so much about if your product is good or not.

The question is, what company is willing to throw many millions of dollars out the window for little real return.

Unless.. FOM changes.

Fil

Jersey Tom wrote:Here's the bottom line: When it comes to F1 (and most things in general), you gotta pay to play. In this case, you gotta pay a lot. It's not so much about if your product is good or not.

The question is, what company is willing to throw many millions of dollars out the window for little real return.
The answer to that is the same answer as asking the question,

Who is the LG of the tyre world? Who wants to aggressively change their brand image through a show of technology, unrivalled performance and use the leverage of Formula 1's image to boost their own?
Jersey Tom wrote:Unless.. FOM changes.
:lol: 2 things would have to happen.. Bernie dies & FOM goes into administration..
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Fil wrote:Who is the LG of the tyre world? Who wants to aggressively change their brand image through a show of technology, unrivalled performance and use the leverage of Formula 1's image to boost their own?
Not quite that simple. You pay a big price just to show up. Having a product that (a) doesnt endanger people's lives (b) performs worth a damn, is a whole different story.

F1 puts you in the spotlight, you pay for the price of admission. What happens next can be great or terrible.

Think of how many race teams it hasn't panned out for. Think of Pirelli's dismal performance when they were involved in the sport.

Somethin just stinks bout the whole deal.

Fil

Race teams are in competition with eachother, same with the last time Pirelli were in F1 against an established leader in Goodyear supplying the best teams.. they're completely different games to compare.

What i wrote is exactly that simple. F1 is a marketing exercise for a single tyre manufacturer. Its a question of who is prepared to be aggressive in the worldwide tyre market.

I'm sure the FIA tender price is deflated too, and will continue to deflate as the year goes on.

If it becomes a tyre war once again, that is a different, more complicated story. But that won't happen due to costs involved.

Todt will keep F1 in a control tyre state.

So the only added complication to my prior post is the development of a suitable tyre. And, well, that is the primary objective for the existence of any tyre manufacturer.. if, as a tyre manufacturer, you can't get that right, you deserve all the bad PR coming your way!
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Fil wrote:So the only added complication to my prior post is the development of a suitable tyre. And, well, that is the primary objective for the existence of any tyre manufacturer.. if, as a tyre manufacturer, you can't get that right, you deserve all the bad PR coming your way!
Kinda. For a company with previous experience.. like a Michelin, or Goodyear, or whoever.. I'd agree.

For a brand new contender to come up with a full lineup of molds, constructions, materials, and compounds... all the durability testing.. all the track testing.. the logistics.. it's a BIG task.

Giblet
Giblet

We all know that the super sticky tires that have the most grip AND life are the golden chalice everyone seeks.

Maybe if a new company was to come in, they could go to a wider, harder tire, keeping grip levels about the same via the width, enabling a company to come in with less difficulty, and with less development lead in time.

Few companies, barring maybe Michelin at this juncture would be capable of making a tire as good in the same performance range for the size.

Besides, the cars would pretty cool with some wider rubber again.

Pandamasque

The big problem with control tires is that fans couldn't care less about tires. The advertising value is questionable. They created a million complicated tire/strategy rules to make us talk about the tires but it just doesn't work. F1 isn't making Bridgestone look advanced in any way and it will be much worse for any successor. Some fans still remember about Bridgestone being on par with Michelin at times. Any Toyokohamkho will automatically be rated as a cheap 'plug'.
Giblet wrote:Besides, the cars would pretty cool with some wider rubber again.
IMO, F1 should dramatically increase tire grip and limit DF.