What was the first F1 car with paddle shifting?

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
countersteer

Re: What was the first F1 car with paddle shifting?

Wasn't McLaren (if I remember right with Porsche) the first one to try something in gear selection with a sequential stick?
I believe Porsche developed the original "quick shift", "dual clutch" transmission during this time frame. Without modern electronics, the design was way ahead of it's time. Now, with modern computers, sensors, etc. voila...

xpensive

In 1974, the Lotus 76 had a solution with a button on the gear-shift knob for an electrically manouvered coupling.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

autogyro

xpensive wrote:In 1974, the Lotus 76 had a solution with a button on the gear-shift knob for an electrically manouvered coupling.
Correct, that was the year after Tony Rudd visited me at my transmission company in Watford, we also discussed ground effects and active suspension.
I used to use Elstree aerodrome at that time. Colin Chapman and Graham Hill were both regular visitors. Unfortunately it was on approach to Elstree in bad weather that Graham crashed.
I used to organize a regular air show at Elstree.
Last edited by Steven on 16 Nov 2009, 13:24, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Can we stay on topic please?

xxChrisxx

autogyro wrote:
xpensive wrote:In 1974, the Lotus 76 had a solution with a button on the gear-shift knob for an electrically manouvered coupling.
Correct, that was the year after Tony Rudd visited me at my transmission company in Watford, we also discussed ground effects and active suspension.
I used to use Elstree aerodrome at that time. Colin Chapman and Graham Hill were both regular visitors. Unfortunately it was on approach to Elstree in bad weather that Graham crashed.
I used to organize a regular air show at Elstree.
[...]
Last edited by Steven on 16 Nov 2009, 13:27, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Be nice to your fellow forumers please (see Ciro's post below)

xpensive

autogyro wrote:
I used to use Elstree aerodrome at that time. Colin Chapman and Graham Hill were both regular visitors. Unfortunately it was on approach to Elstree in bad weather that Graham crashed. I used to organize a regular air show at Elstree.
A modest suggestion for you autogyro. Instead of pesting every technical thread with your not very plausible anecdotes,
why don't you open your own thread, or better yet forum, where people so inclined can ask for your wisdom?

autogyro

Sorry to disappoint Chris but I was only asked for my opinion on active suspension and GE. If I remember I considered the best application for active was in suspension and turret stability in tanks and military vehicles.
I think DB picked up on some of it in the later Chieftain, along with the 25 speed automatic gearbox they did for it.
I remember how austere their factory was up North.
We did improve the control of stabilizers on Frigates later however when doing landing trials at sea with light military autogyros.
Oh yes and then there was the gyro stabilized LSR streamlined motor bike that Lotus projected for Geoff Garside and of course ideas for the first mid engined Corvette prototype for GM.

autogyro

Of course if you do not want to know the facts expensive, then do not bring up the subject.
Simple innit.

xpensive

Right, I tried the polite way, didn't work. Sorry Ciro.

I think you are a mythomaniac autogyro, a pathological liar who feel compelled to trump every story you hear or read.

autogyro

xpensive wrote:Right, I tried the polite way, didn't work. Sorry Ciro.

I think you are a mythomaniac autogyro, a pathological liar who feel compelled to trump every story you hear or read.
Of course there is a very simple alternative.

Ciro Pabón

You don't have to be aggresive to be skeptic, guys, try a bit of "latino good manners", it won't hurt you. I hate warnings and bannings as much as you, lend me a hand here. Remember the old adage: "Let your words be sweet, in case you have to swallow them." So, X, pleeze, can't you really, really, really be smarter? I repeat I ask for a very simple thing: respect. You know I would have edited your post if autogyro hasn't read it, so, what are you doing? Sneaking around me? ;) C'mon.

And autogyro, please, you will use the "New Topic" button every time the title of the thread is not mentioned somehow in your posts, right? Check that before hitting "Submit". We love new threads about quixotic ideas here, you have the floor, but keep it on subject (as well as Xpensive has it, for as long as he doesn't stomp on it like a five years old kid ;)). It's simply a matter of efficiency.
Ciro

xpensive

Either way, I think the optimal transmission was developed by Williams, but banned long before it got to be raced.

http://8w.forix.com/altpower/cvtwilliams003.jpg

http://8w.forix.com/altpower/williamscvt.jpg

http://8w.forix.com/altpower/cvtwilliams001.jpg

rjsa

xpensive wrote:Either way, I think the optimal transmission was developed by Williams, but banned long before it got to be raced.

http://8w.forix.com/altpower/cvtwilliams003.jpg

http://8w.forix.com/altpower/williamscvt.jpg

http://8w.forix.com/altpower/cvtwilliams001.jpg
Thankfully banned: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3UpBKXMRto

The worst sounding racing car ever.

xxChrisxx

rjsa wrote:The worst sounding racing car ever.

I dunno, it does sound like a really annoying hedge trimmer. Ruins the lovely Renault V10 sound.
They could always do what Honda did with the Jazz CVT and put in fake gearchanges.

ps DC looks like some sort of 80s Action Man cartoon character in that video.

xpensive

I disagree. I think hearing the engine constantly running at its optimum Rpm, has a distinctive engineerish tune to it. :D

rjsa

xxChrisxx wrote:

I dunno, it does sound like a really annoying hedge trimmer. Ruins the lovely Renault V10 sound.
They could always do what Honda did with the Jazz CVT and put in fake gearchanges.

ps DC looks like some sort of 80s Action Man cartoon character in that video.
That's DC before GHG. EDIT: HGH