Red Bull RB6

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
auto saibot

Re: Red Bull RB6

gilgen wrote:
auto saibot wrote:are those white covers permanent? :?:
Which white coers? :?: :?: :?:
i meant by those heat shields...........white color confused me....they are supposed to be silver..aren't they? or they are not heat shields at all

speedsense
speedsense

forty-two wrote: Some drawings in the "Reducing the drag of a two element wing through stall" thread suggested that a fluidic switch can work like this, or with careful tweaking could be made to work without a secondary signal.

Perhaps RB decided it not too much of a loss to have two lots of ductwork instead of develop a single signal fluidic switch?
forty two,
Just thought I would point out something pointing to your post of sliding the splitter in and out. In this picture is something very strange (having built a few splitters myself)... two square tubings that apparently have the splitter mounts slide into them, as they proceed the location of the splitter. If this is the mounting of the splitter with matching smaller diameter tubes inserted that were hinged and slid inside for static tests and back out for running, it would follow your theory... :idea:

"Driving a car as fast as possible (in a race) is all about maintaining the highest possible acceleration level in the appropriate direction." Peter Wright,Techical Director, Team Lotus

forty-two

speedsense wrote:
forty-two wrote: Some drawings in the "Reducing the drag of a two element wing through stall" thread suggested that a fluidic switch can work like this, or with careful tweaking could be made to work without a secondary signal.

Perhaps RB decided it not too much of a loss to have two lots of ductwork instead of develop a single signal fluidic switch?
forty two,
Just thought I would point out something pointing to your post of sliding the splitter in and out. In this picture is something very strange (having built a few splitters myself)... two square tubings that apparently have the splitter mounts slide into them, as they proceed the location of the splitter. If this is the mounting of the splitter with matching smaller diameter tubes inserted that were hinged and slid inside for static tests and back out for running, it would follow your theory... :idea:

While I don't disagree with you on the idea, I think that this picture is a little misleading. The holes you see in this image are, I believe actually the front edge of the splitter, not the mounting holes for the splitter. Some other pictures from this incident show that the splitter remained attached throughout.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

forty-two

While on the grid, RB have always been keen to position a gang of employees to conceal the rear of the car.

Personally, I suspect that this could very well be theatre, in order to draw the prying eyes of photographers to the back of the car, while the interesting gubbins is actually elsewhere (the splitter, FW etc).

We've seen lots of pictures of the RB's rear end, and as far as I can work out, nobody has spotted anything groundbreaking there apart from details about the EBD, but the secret about that has been out now for some time (or at least so we all think), so why keep "hiding" it?

The way I see it, they're either:
- Hiding something really sneakily clever in this area
- Hiding nothing at all, but trying to draw glare away from somewhere else on the car
- Hiding nothing at all, just trying to get a dumbass like me to waste my time asking this question, generating "column inches" for their PR machine.

What does anyone else think?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

noname
noname

auto saibot wrote:i meant by those heat shields...........white color confused me....they are supposed to be silver..aren't they? or they are not heat shields at all
they could be coated, like airfoils in the jet engines (the ones in HPTs, for example).

or maybe something like this:

http://www.zircotec.com/page/exhaust_system_coatings/60

marcush.
marcush.

I got the feeling RBR7 will not be the class of the field...they will struggle with their KERs as everyone struggled when taking it onboard.did RBR even test
a KERS unit yet? or will they not run it at all?

djos

marcush. wrote:I got the feeling RBR7 will not be the class of the field...they will struggle with their KERs as everyone struggled when taking it onboard.did RBR even test
Lol, iirc Mark & Seb tested KERS in the RB5 once in the off season but Newey decided the car was faster without the extra weight!

Newey talks about the packaging of KERS in the RB5 HERE:
"In downforce we trust"

Arunas
Arunas

djos wrote:
marcush. wrote:I got the feeling RBR7 will not be the class of the field...they will struggle with their KERs as everyone struggled when taking it onboard.did RBR even test
Lol, iirc Mark & Seb tested KERS in the RB5 once in the off season but Newey decided the car was faster without the extra weight!

Newey talks about the packaging of KERS in the RB5 HERE:
Now this...
Are you sure, McL last hope is dead?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

marcush.
marcush.

that is PR bollocks to me .they might have had a chassis wich offered space to slot in the e-machine of the marelli KERS but where to put the "little bits and pieces"you need to have as well ?
The Speed of the car is not decided by Newey its decided by the stop watch btw..
I still don´t see this as real experience...to throw it out after only one test is not more than showing they realised how far from what was needed they were...
Still they build a car and tried it! Others build a car around a KERS that did not work(Sauber)even when the kers was removed!...I feel it is a perfect opportunity to get a bit off track.

djos

Youre forgetting that last year the car minimum weight was less than it is now and they had wider front tires which caused weight distribution issues even without KERS!!!
"In downforce we trust"

marcush.
marcush.

I do not forget.
Limit here limit there,the weight distribution is fixed for 2011 anyways.Having kers on board will for sure not make things easier when you got another heavy peace of scrap nailed into the car that cannot be moved a lot ...the wider fronts and some material degree of freedom in 2009 was favouring a forward bias ...which is of course now erased still the fact remains that Kers is a source of potential failure and driveability issues.

segedunum
segedunum

Brawn ditched the Mercedes KERS system because they felt the weight was a major disadvantage that couldn't be overcome. I have no idea why we're going back to be honest. I suppose the power output will be greater.

Red Bull's rivals have got a hell of a lot more to worry about over the winter than KERS............

Giblet
Giblet

This is a thread about the RB6 people, not the Rb7, not the Brawn, not the Kers, not the standard weight distro for 2011.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

segedunum
segedunum

It's a little aside, that can happen with these threads. It's more a case of people trying to get some crumbs of comfort........

Backt to the RB6 then, for what little time it has left.......

raymondu999

I would've thought the KERS unit would require a fatter ass to house the unit, which Newey wouldn't like
失败者找理由,成功者找方法