Scuderia Toro Rosso STR5 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
imightbewrong

Re: Scuderia Toro Rosso STR5 Ferrari

djones wrote:What does the retarded engine feature do?

Keep air flowing when not on the throttle or something?
Exactly

zgred

spinmastermic

Coolest F-Duct ever. It has a retro airbox look to it.

Goran2812

is it effective? there's probably little air going into it because it is positioned behind the air box...
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1

zgred

forty-two

zgred wrote: Image
Kinda looks like this engineer misunderstood when he was told to arrange something to "blow" the rear wing!

Haha, sorry for being off topic, but that made me smile!
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

forty-two

I can't help but wonder why STR are still pursuing the F-Duct given that it's banned for next season, there's only two races left, and at my last count, they arent in the running for winning the WCC?

Seems like a huge expense for only very limited gains at this stage of the season to me.

Paul

I think McLaren have opened a Pandora Box with the f-duct and that sort of flow manipulations will be one of the key development areas in years to come. So understanding the concept now will still prove beneficial.

forty-two

Yes, that is a very good point Paul.

I actually have a theory that the device on the McLaren might actually somehow still be present next season because of the way in which theirs and I believe theirs alone has been implemented.

Belatti

forty-two wrote:I can't help but wonder why STR are still pursuing the F-Duct given that it's banned for next season, there's only two races left, and at my last count, they arent in the running for winning the WCC?

Seems like a huge expense for only very limited gains at this stage of the season to me.
Can be Adrian´s playground...
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

aral

Belatti wrote:
forty-two wrote:I can't help but wonder why STR are still pursuing the F-Duct given that it's banned for next season, there's only two races left, and at my last count, they arent in the running for winning the WCC?

Can be Adrian´s playground...
But surely Newey can not have ANY influence in STR?

imightbewrong

forty-two wrote:Yes, that is a very good point Paul.

I actually have a theory that the device on the McLaren might actually somehow still be present next season because of the way in which theirs and I believe theirs alone has been implemented.
Can you elaborate on that?

lolzi

Could you elaborate? What do you think they are doing differently?

ESPImperium

lolzi wrote:

The F-Duct hasnt had the vote passed yet to ban it, and the fact the proximity wing may be actually a saftey issue means the F-Duct still has value.

If the Proximity wing idea fails, the F-Duct will be still used, but in a mechanichal form seemingly, to make sure the drivers hands are on the wheel. What id like to see is the proximity wing idea scrubbed, as i dont like the isea of it, but give the driver 20 seconds of F-Duct time each lap.

With the MES ECU this can be managed. Ideally id like to allow the drivers 20 seconds of F-Duct time and 10 seconds of KERS a lap, with a button on each side of the wheel, and 2 new displays added to the wheel, or more ideal, monocoque Red Bull/STR style for the drivers to see how many seconds they have left. At a later date, you could eventually manage how many times theese were activated, meaning you could have 10 activation laps for each per race.

Personally, id rather have a F-Duct than a proximity wing. Same way id rather have had kept the DDD, but reduced it to 120mm from 175mm and had a standardised centre profile in the F-Duct.

lolzi

ESPImperium wrote:
lolzi wrote:

The F-Duct hasnt had the vote passed yet to ban it, and the fact the proximity wing may be actually a saftey issue means the F-Duct still has value.

If the Proximity wing idea fails, the F-Duct will be still used, but in a mechanichal form seemingly, to make sure the drivers hands are on the wheel. What id like to see is the proximity wing idea scrubbed, as i dont like the isea of it, but give the driver 20 seconds of F-Duct time each lap.

With the MES ECU this can be managed. Ideally id like to allow the drivers 20 seconds of F-Duct time and 10 seconds of KERS a lap, with a button on each side of the wheel, and 2 new displays added to the wheel, or more ideal, monocoque Red Bull/STR style for the drivers to see how many seconds they have left. At a later date, you could eventually manage how many times theese were activated, meaning you could have 10 activation laps for each per race.

Personally, id rather have a F-Duct than a proximity wing. Same way id rather have had kept the DDD, but reduced it to 120mm from 175mm and had a standardised centre profile in the F-Duct.
So you want to use the F-duct as another "proximity wing". But what I am most interested in is how McLaren's system differs from other F-ducts.