Scuderia Toro Rosso STR5 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
noname

Re: Scuderia Toro Rosso STR5 Ferrari

alexbarwell wrote:Sounds a bit like a manufacturing/installation fault as failing after the relatively few laps for testing is nothing compared to hammering round the track for a full race distance - it should last at least 50 laps, not half a dozen...
do we know how long those parts have been in service ? it's 4th fly-away race and although I assume suspension is checked after every race methods may not be perfect (especially if the measurements are made in the garage), and some small crack/delamination may slip trough it.

autogyro

Both sides going at the same instant does not point to material failure IMO.

gambler

Could the heat from the caliper climbed up to the control arm and
caused it to delaminate? Then it flop around and break the other
half of the spindle?

Afterburner

autogyro wrote:Both sides going at the same instant does not point to material failure IMO.
They didn't broke at the same time, one broke, i thhink the left one, and the other couldn't handle the increased pressure.

This video in slow motion would dissipate all doubts:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDLYHbH_-5I[/youtube]

raymondu999

That was the right one (driver's right) that broke first. The left one then couldn't hold the pressure of being left all alone in the world by its mate and went suicidal.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Afterburner

raymondu999 wrote:That was the right one (driver's right) that broke first. The left one then couldn't hold the pressure of being left all alone in the world by its mate and went suicidal.

That's correct, my mistake.

autogyro

raymondu999 wrote:That was the right one (driver's right) that broke first. The left one then couldn't hold the pressure of being left all alone in the world by its mate and went suicidal.
But the left and right are not directly connected. The brakes being locked up would not cause the break. In fact one side going would reduce load on the other side not add to it, as there would be less frictional drag on the car.
I cannot see a material fault on both sides.
IMO it was caused by bad design, probably altered geometry, not taking the changed loads into account.

marcush.

I bet this failure caused TR s Giorgio Ascanelli to appear in front of the stewards of the meeting and it will have been thoroughly discussed within the team as well.
so :
1st option-these where experimental uprights and they failed ,TR could revert to the proven units
2nd option -there was a mistake in mounting of the hardware or a obvious reason for the upright to fail which has nothing to do with the loads going into the hub under normal circumstances on this track

in all other cases Ascanelli would just pack up and not put anyones life at risk...no question about that....

Afterburner

autogyro wrote:
But the left and right are not directly connected. The brakes being locked up would not cause the break. In fact one side going would reduce load on the other side not add to it, as there would be less frictional drag on the car.
I cannot see a material fault on both sides.
IMO it was caused by bad design, probably altered geometry, not taking the changed loads into account.

If you take a front wheel off, when braking, the weight and power to stop will have to be done by the other wheel, it's twice the effort one wheel it's supposed to handle, form my point of view, both wheel's caming off it's a signal of that.

The main problem was that suspension broke on a heavy straight line braking zone, if it happened braking when turning or in a lighter braking zone it would have broked the same way kimi in Nurburgring 2005, IMO.

marcush.

sorry ,but as soon as one wheel is off the car is sliding on the splitter when you apply the brakes .
as the front right was torn off there was instantly no brake pressure left on the front circuit ,so no brake forces there.The lh failure was obviously caused by the teather pulling the upright to the tub ,buckling the wishbones till they gave up and in result the teather was ripped off .on the pics you can see just how far in the brakedrum duct was pulled inwards on the lh wishbones.
the question is ,why did the steeringarm brake off ?

autogyro

Seems to have gone silent on this issue, does anyone know what caused the crash?

TRICKLE69

http://www.f1technical.net/news/14636

The Scuderia Toro Rosso have admitted the reason for the strange accident that occurred to Sebastien Buemi in the last few minutes of the first free practice session. The right front upright assembly's new material that was under testing was the culprit that had both front wheels flying off under heavy braking. Luckily Buemi came out unscrathed from the impact into the safety barrier.
IT IS WHAT IT IS

mx_tifoso

Yes that has been identified as part of the problem but we do not know what caused the new uprights to fail. Was it due to temperature? Stress? Design failure? etc.

I don't think that we'll get that type of info from STR.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

volarchico

From the pictures and from the description, wouldn't it be pretty safe to say that the "new material" has a lower ultimate yield strength than the engineers predicted. The lower strength and the very high loads of braking and a bump impact caused them both to be stressed past their ultimate yield and *poof*...off come the wheels.

From what ive heard, it was a change in material to one that was more brittle than the previous option.