EU slams Ferrari over Marlboro partnership

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
autogyro

Re: EU slams Ferrari over Marlboro partnership

I thought Malboro bought all the advertising space?
If this is true, perhaps they can explain what is being advertised on the F1 Ferraris?
Bar Codes!!!!!!

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Does it really matter?

Most folk seem to have not realised that this was Marlboro advertising before some "Doctor" started creating a fuss over it.

Storm in an ash tray is all it is.

Ashley

There's no problem if they inject money in F1 as long as they do not show off their brand on the cars and drivers' suit but the problem is what's next to the health's regulations: Mclaren and Johnny Walker???
Hey guys, remember the subaru rally team sponsored by 555 cigarettes?

carvetia

I think it's brilliant :lol:

I'm not a smoker, but i don't care if people do it, and i'd also like to add that people who smoke aren't stupid, they've made a choice. Think of the person as an investor, not in stocks but in pleasure, and they are trying to maximise their investment (utility of life) dependent on their preferences and information about the risks available to them.

Well, if they've figured that the risk premium of smoking (pleasure gained) is high enough to justify the potential losses (health problems, reduced life expectancy etc.), then it is logical for them to chose smoking, just as it is logical for an investor in stocks to choose a riskier asset with higher returns if their preferences mean they are not averse to taking the risk, and accept the higher potential for losses. Likewise, someone whose preferences make them averse to risk will sacrifice the potential joy gained by smoking, so they can avoid the potential for losses incurred later in life.

In the past, the lack of information about the risks of smoking made it a blind 'investment'. The difference between the perceived risk and actual risk was very high, due to the lack of information. Now, all the information is there, so people are better enabled than ever to make the decision to smoke.

If you think smokers are unfair on society because of the drain on national health services, that is true, but also not their fault. Perhaps there should not be so much coverage for smoking-induced illness. This increases the inherent risk of smoking, thus requiring that the perceived gains be higher in order for someone to take up the habit. The perceived gains are roughly constant (especially in the absence of advertising, which also means perceived gains are very close to actual gains), therefore increasing the perceived risks is a good way to reduce the number of smokers, if you wish to do that.

On the other hand, maybe you might want to acknowledge the contribution to the healthcare budget made by taxes on cigarettes.

And no, i'm not nor have ever been affiliated with the tobacco industry in any way.

autogyro

The money that Ferrari gets from Malboro, is money earned from killing people with lung cancer.
It can in no way be described as a clean, fair investment.
It is a shame that Ferrari and Italy have been tarnished for so long with this disgusting connection.

andrew

autogyro wrote:The money that Ferrari gets from Malboro, is money earned from killing people with lung cancer.
It is a shame that Ferrari and Italy have been tarnished for so long with this disgusting connection.
Tarnished? Do you honestly believe that? Nothing is tarnished at all. The way you go on, you make it sound like Ferrari are the only team to ever have tobacco advertising.

I take it you're fine with Vodafone and other mobile phone companies, BAE systems, various alcohol brands, various banks and petrochemicals sponsoring F1.

Ashley

Wow guys isn't all the fuss about marlboro going too far? Don't you take into consideration the fact that some of the latest technologies come from F1. Moreover would F1 be so evolved without major sponsors?

autogyro

Ashley wrote:Wow guys isn't all the fuss about marlboro going too far? Don't you take into consideration the fact that some of the latest technologies come from F1. Moreover would F1 be so evolved without major sponsors?
No, it is not going to far.
Ferrari has been competing with the unfair advantage of huge tobacco sponsorship, while the other teams have either left the sport because of finacial pressure or are still in F1 with much reduced budgets.
This state of affairs stifles the very development that results in benefits in road vehicles and other technology.
Ferrari even set up Fota in an attempt to continue this unfair advantage at the expense of the rest of the world and even forcefuly delayed the introduction of energy conserving technology and other sensible regulations using Fota for its own ends.
They should get what they deserve.

donskar

autogyro wrote:I wonder if any of the 'tifosi' out there can now see the absolute truth, that Ferrari has been operating its race team with a huge unfair budget advantage for years.
It is not only a matter concerning tobacco advertising, the whole issue shows the background to the establishment of Fota and the reasons behind it. It shows just how corrupt those behind this were.
I think it is a shame that the red of Ferrari and Italy has fallen so low as to become simply an advertising medium aimed at killing young people with man made cancer through deceit.
This should not be part of F1.
autogyro, the "truth" I see is that all your posts are boringly similar. You take every opportunity, no matter how far-fetched, to attack anything remotely related to Ferrari. The specific points you make are beneath response.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

andrew

autogyro wrote:
Ashley wrote:Wow guys isn't all the fuss about marlboro going too far? Don't you take into consideration the fact that some of the latest technologies come from F1. Moreover would F1 be so evolved without major sponsors?
No, it is not going to far.
Ferrari has been competing with the unfair advantage of huge tobacco sponsorship, while the other teams have either left the sport because of finacial pressure or are still in F1 with much reduced budgets.
This state of affairs stifles the very development that results in benefits in road vehicles and other technology.
Ferrari even set up Fota in an attempt to continue this unfair advantage at the expense of the rest of the world and even forcefuly delayed the introduction of energy conserving technology and other sensible regulations using Fota for its own ends.
They should get what they deserve.
Last time I checked there is nothing to say where teams sponsorship can come from, just restrictions on what they can show. Ferrari have found a way round this silly little law and it has taken most observors a few years to work it out. Well done Ferrari! =D>

autogyro

donskar wrote:
autogyro wrote:I wonder if any of the 'tifosi' out there can now see the absolute truth, that Ferrari has been operating its race team with a huge unfair budget advantage for years.
It is not only a matter concerning tobacco advertising, the whole issue shows the background to the establishment of Fota and the reasons behind it. It shows just how corrupt those behind this were.
I think it is a shame that the red of Ferrari and Italy has fallen so low as to become simply an advertising medium aimed at killing young people with man made cancer through deceit.
This should not be part of F1.
autogyro, the "truth" I see is that all your posts are boringly similar. You take every opportunity, no matter how far-fetched, to attack anything remotely related to Ferrari. The specific points you make are beneath response.
The points I make are true!!!

donskar

Guys, (and ladies), if I might be so bold as to inject some facts into this thread. (Sorry, it's a genetic flaw.)

The high point of one of my previous careers was when I was responsible for brand management at the then #2 computer company in the world.

Colors are important for branding ("Kodak yellow" is perhaps the best example). Ferrari has supposedly modified the shade of red they use to come closer to Marlboro red, but red IS Italy's racing color (if memory serves: England=green; US=blue; Germany=white/silver; Holland=Orange, etc). Unlike other teams (Lotus might have been the first) Ferrari has not "sold" their color to match a sponsor's demands.

I know many members of this forum deny fact, preferring emotion, but fact is, the bar code would be identified by any branding professional as a VERY ineffective approach. Much better would be the recent paint scheme on Penske open-wheelers, which actually emulates the shape of a Marlboro box. If Marlboro and Ferrari WERE serious about pushing the Marlboror brand, they'd simply repaint the cars to look like the former Penske scheme.

Subliminal advertising? I studied it and taught it for a few years at a couple American universities. It is a very interesting topic, but like the existence of God, has never been proven scientifically.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled rants. autogyro? take it away.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Giblet

andrew wrote:
autogyro wrote:The money that Ferrari gets from Malboro, is money earned from killing people with lung cancer.
Tarnished? Do you honestly believe that? Nothing is tarnished at all. The way you go on, you make it sound like Ferrari are the only team to ever have tobacco advertising.

I take it you're fine with Vodafone and other mobile phone companies, BAE systems, various alcohol brands, various banks and petrochemicals sponsoring F1.
No, he makes it sound like Ferrari are the only team still clinging to tobacco advertising, which sounds right, because it's true.

Now, even though I completely disagree with tobacco sponsorship, and consider it simply wrong, I wonder would Williams still be a strong top flight team if they still had Rothmans? Would Honda still be kicking if they were still BAR Honda?

There can be no denying that the sponsorship has helped teams in the past, and made great looking liveries, but as a modern society can we keep turning a blind eye to the evils of tobacco?

I understand the comparisons to petro chemical companies and what not, but at least they're problems are a byproduct for the most part of their business, Shell's particular evils not withstanding. Big Tobacco's business IS death and addiction.

Go figure, Shell and Marlboro, both on Ferrari.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKlw6DBwzX8[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejym4mKelhM[/youtube]
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

andrew

I wonder if they company that they are not naming and does not appear on their cars is West? Will autogyro stop the Ferrari bashing and do some mcLaren bashing now?