EU slams Ferrari over Marlboro partnership

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Pandamasque

Re: EU slams Ferrari over Marlboro partnership

andrew wrote:Will autogyro stop the Ferrari bashing...
No.

Giblet
Giblet

andrew wrote:
I wonder if they company that they are not naming and does not appear on their cars is West? Will autogyro stop the Ferrari bashing and do some mcLaren bashing now?
Depends if he can see the difference between satire and reality I guess.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

vall
vall

autogyro wrote:I thought Malboro bought all the advertising space?
If this is true, perhaps they can explain what is being advertised on the F1 Ferraris?
Bar Codes!!!!!!
Could you please post is picture of a Marlboro box to see how much the livery of Ferrari is similar to that box?

flynfrog

vall wrote:
If this is true, perhaps they can explain what is being advertised on the F1 Ferraris?
Bar Codes!!!!!!
Could you please post is picture of a Marlboro box to see how much the livery of Ferrari is similar to that box?

vall
vall

flynfrog wrote:
vall wrote:
Bar Codes!!!!!!

It is green box, I can also find many red harmless product that have bar-code on them :shock:

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

WOW!!!!

They look completely different. :o

Giblet
Giblet

It's quite simple in my eyes.

Ferrari does not give away the prime advertising spot, the engine cover, on the car for free.

So either:

A - Marlboro has paid for Ferrari's prime space to NOT put an ad there, and Ferrari chooses to put the barcode, which means 'nothing'.

B - Marlboro has paid Ferrari to put the barcode there, which they insist means 'nothing'.

Marlboro have bought advertising space. But they are not using it to advertise. riiiiiight.

If it means nothing, why have they spent 100's of millions to NOT advertise, in the most expensive advertising spot in F1?

You can't have your cake and eat it to, and Marlboro has found a sneaky way to do just that, and Ferrari is profiting from it.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

andrew
andrew

Tax dodge??

Giblet
Giblet

Maybe.

Same old trick by tobacco. Fool everyone for as long as possible, even when the truth is obvious.

If they didn't have such a long history of lieing to your face, I might be tempted to believe them.

Deny, deny, deny.

Important question, if it is not a Marlboro logo, why does it also appear on the Ducati?

jon-mullen

Which of these is not like the other one?
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

andrew
andrew

For comparison of Marlboro space. Definately the same logo so why is Ducati not getting slammed?

Sean H
Sean H

the penske IRL cars look more like the Marlboro logo than the F10 does, I am sure that is not an accident either.

I have no problem advertising a legal product on any medium. If cigarettes shouldn't be advertised, they shouldn't be sold. I also do not smoke, nor would I ever as I have a brain. No race car would ever make me think I need to either.

I own several replica bikes that all carry cig advertising thems, I like them all.
"The car is slow in the straights and doesn't work well in the corners." JV

Pandamasque

I wonder how can they tell if Ferrari has Barmolo advertising and not Striky Like?

PS: Maybe this whole campaign is plotted by Phillip Morris just t remind everyone exactly what the barcode stands for? Cause it's been awhile since the actual logo appeared on the cars and some younger potential smokers
fans may be unaware.
Last edited by Pandamasque on 30 Apr 2010, 19:28, edited 2 times in total.

timbo
timbo

Well, if someone commits to smoking because of cig ad on a racing car, I think he deserves Darwin award.
And yeah, it's subliminal advertising. But any semi-competent lawyer must be able to prove that it isn't.

vall
vall

I used to smoke, I knew Ferrari officially had Marlboro in the name, but it never crossed my mind that that the bar-code-like (it is not exactly a bar-code) livery was an Marlboro add, until yesterday. A bar-code is a bar-code. All products have a bar-codes, so what Marlboro asked Ferrari and Ducati to put one in their livery..... I have no problem with that.