Ferrari 150° Italia

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
747heavy

Re: Ferrari F150

timbo wrote:
747heavy wrote:seing the ongoing debate on the forum, it´s interesting to see, that they keept a push-rod suspension on the rear. :wink:

Despite some people being sure it would be pull-rod.
The pickup position is very forward, and look what they did to the beam wing
I doubt there's much benefit of having a pull-rod vs this except for thinner strut.
sure, it´s just as so many times said before, that there is more then one way to "skin a cat" and/or to build/drive a race car.

Good to see (IMHO) that they went onto a different/their own way to come up with a solution to the packaging/performance challenge.
Let´s see how it performs on the track, and what people think about it by the end of the season.

Maybe it´s the next "must have for sure" thing, that everybody in it´s right mind "must copy". - just kidding a bit :wink: (all in good fun and spirit)
I´m, for one, are happy to see people going out and comming up with their own answers/solutions to the design challenges at hand.

Let´s not turn this thread into another push vs. pull rod argument.
I´m sure there are more interesting solutions to be discussed on the car.
Last edited by 747heavy on 28 Jan 2011, 12:52, edited 1 time in total.
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

Raptor22

Yes low on the floor where they can be routed toward the dropped wing end plates and form part of the diffusor...hello blown diffusor

Blackout

The F60 also had its battery placed within the fuel cell

mx_tifoso

I think the front view comparisons are the most revealing in terms of the changes from launch to launch. The front suspension, nosecone, and sidepods are really different.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Hangaku

So with half of the car using parts from last year's build, this is hardly a reveal of their 2011 car is it?

It's almost like a competition these days, with the first team to reveal their new car being the winners. How silly.
Yer.

timbo

747heavy wrote:Let´s not turn this thread into another push vs. pull rod argument.
I´m sure there are more interesting solutions to be discussed on the car.
IMO this is not a "gadget" car. No radical solutions, but everything is very refined.
I think that packaging is very interesting on this car.

Raptor22

FrukostScones wrote:
H. Zedozil wrote:Ferrari confirm "The positioning of the KERS {battery} within the fuel cell "
:o I think Red Bull could also have this solution, as Adrian Newey was pointing out an interesting packaging solution for the battery. And that is the craziest one I guess...
A123 Lithim Iron Nano Phosphate batteries are pretty safe, they don't explode so the risk of a fire with them positionas part of the fuel tank is not very risky.
If they have a battery failkure though, it may require some extensice chassis discombobulation

Blackout

Hangaku wrote:So with half of the car using parts from last year's build, this is hardly a reveal of their 2011 car is it?

It's almost like a competition these days, with the first team to reveal their new car being the winners. How silly.
Only the front wing, the brake ducts and the fins under the nose are from last year.
Last edited by Blackout on 28 Jan 2011, 12:42, edited 1 time in total.

mx_tifoso

Hangaku wrote:So with half of the car using parts from last year's build, this is hardly a reveal of their 2011 car is it?

Take a proper look and you will see that almost everything has been changed. They did clarify that the wings were going to be from 2010, but surprisingly the rear wing is completely new.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

FrukostScones

Blackout wrote:The F60 also had its battery placed within the fuel cell
so the same underneath the fuel cell (underneath the driver) arrangement...?
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Crabbia

Raptor22 wrote:Yes low on the floor where they can be routed toward the dropped wing end plates and form part of the diffusor...hello blown diffusor
hadnt thought of that... :wink:
A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...

imightbewrong

Q. Which are the most innovative characteristics of the F150?

NT: We've been working on different innovations for the car: some of ours and some new for Formula 1 in general. The rear suspension is really innovative, so is the rear wing system. But there are more novelties coming up regarding the configuration for the first race, which aren't in the car yet, for example something for the rear wing and the exhausts.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89115

ESPImperium

Goran2812 wrote:
H. Zedozil wrote:Ferrari confirm "The positioning of the KERS {battery} within the fuel cell "
wow... that's, um... scarry... -.-
And what did i say on the Sauber C30 thread???

The battery will be housed below the fuel cell so as to get the CoG as low as posible and so not to impact on the weight distrubution. However one crazy idea i had is for the battery to be split either side of the fuel cell to make the weight distrubution even more even.

Its crazy i know, but it could be the best posible solution for KERS. It was unnacceptable in 2009 for cars to be retiring with drivers having scalded arses.

I think the car will be there from the start as they have refined alot of what they had with the F60 and F10. The F10 made the F60 a more driveable solution, then they went on to gain performance, now Ferarri have performance, they will build on the F10 with the F150 whitch will become the early bench mark in relitive terms to all the other cars.

Tuesday will be the day that we see what the testing comes up with in comparison.

Big pics from F1Fanatic: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/01/28/f ... 50_1680_8/ [please do not repost as to keep the thread as clean as posible]

matt21

Hadn´t Tyrell any hydraulic system in the suspension. "Hydrolink" or so?
But I think FIA will see this as an powered device.
F1 Tech Regs wrote: 10.2.2 Any powered device which is capable of altering the configuration or affecting the performance of any
part of the suspension system is forbidden.
10.2.3 No adjustment may be made to the suspension system while the car is in motion.
I think the only way you can do something is to link the reservoir of the dampers to each other or a create one for all and control the linkage by mechanical devices reacting on g-forces.
Or are these forces considered a "powered device"?