Group Lotus buys Renault F1 Team

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
GTO

Re: Group Lotus buys Renault F1 Team

marcush. wrote:I ´d say in a world of constant change 9 jobs in 20 years is not hopping around like a roo....he managed to stay in F1 in commanding positions .so he has something to provide to small and big outfits AND he has seen them all inside ..he´s not the blind guy who has seen the same entity for 20 years .
I disagree. F1 engineering is not like global engineering project work. You do not have to go chasing around the globe to get project work. Work is always there. He may have been in commanding positions, but for how long? 2 yrs. on avg. There are people in my company that have been here for 30yrs. & they are not blind. They have developed their skills, gained experience successfully completing many exciting projects, mentored jr. team mates, developed their own careers & are now in "commanding positions" all the while helping their company/team to grow. Now that is a truly outstanding accomplishment in a global engineering business that has faced numerous economic ups & downs. =D>

marcush.

GTO ,as always in life it is not necessarily the route you are taking wich is important ,but the results and experience you make as you go along.
Some people hop from one spot to another but they struggle to do a step forward,others seem to stand still yet they are able to lift themselves up beyond belief.
I had it both in my lif chipping away at my company dream for a decade and then hopping from one job to another for several reasons .There is no good or bad it is what you make of it.to stay for a decade in a racing team seems to be almost unthinkable as rarely teams survive long enough...so in some cases the change has nothing to do with your personality or ability but simply with the nature of the sport.Maybe this is not as pronounced in F1 but in every category below.

CHT
CHT

GTO wrote:f he is as good as you say he is, why has he been hopping around like a roo for the past 20 yrs.
1989 McLaren-->1990 Tyrrell-->1991 Sauber-->1993 Tyrrell-->1998 Jordan-->2001 Benetton/Renault-->2003 Toyota-->2006 Spyker/Force India-->2009 Lotus/TeamX?
Some of these cars had success, but he never stayed there long enough to follow up & build on it. Seems like he loses interest or perhaps chasing the $$$.

The only reason I can think of is that, MG is a good engineer, but he is not a good leader or team player. Guess that explain why such a highly rated engineer could end up working for the smallest budget team during his prime age of his career.

marcush.

I think it is the other way round.
Gascoyne is not the brilliant engineer he is able to organise and manage groups of people -they called him bulldog for a reason- Ithink when everything is up and running he is not someone you would miss instantly as he is taking a handsoff role and delegates.

segedunum

GTO wrote:If he is as good as you say he is, why has he been hopping around like a roo for the past 20 yrs.
1989 McLaren-->1990 Tyrrell-->1991 Sauber-->1993 Tyrrell-->1998 Jordan-->2001 Benetton/Renault-->2003 Toyota-->2006 Spyker/Force India-->2009 Lotus/TeamX?
When an engineer doesn't move around then you have to wonder how good he is. Those who don't move are either being paid enough or are in technical director positions that they feel comfortable with. Everyone else is probably not good enough to warrant the attention. Notice that many Mercedes engineers don't seem to have been sought after. That's the environment of Formula 1.

Wherever he's gone there has been a reasonably swift upturn in fortune not long after, whoever he has worked with. That doesn't happen just happen with an 'organiser of people'. There's some serious ideas coming from the top down and you've got other people implementing them. It's probably like how Adrian Newey told his team that he wanted a front wing that got closer to the ground but he didn't know how they were going to do it or how he pokes engine suppliers to always be upping their power.

Why is he at Lotus? Probably because he got offered a prime technical role in a team where he isn't just one of many and got the challenge of building something from scratch. Newey was similar when he had to turn Jaguar upside down.

xpensive

I don't see the fact that MG has worked for more teams than most being a problem really. Up until MS' little brother got him booted out of Toyota, I guess he just kept getting better offers?

However, I agree that his last two assignments makes me wonder a bit.
Last edited by xpensive on 16 Dec 2010, 11:41, edited 1 time in total.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

CHT
CHT

more insights from Bahar.
"You cannot imagine that Dany Bahar can influence prime ministers, the board of Lotus, the board of Proton, the shareholders. There are so many people involved and it would not make sense.

When he say prime ministers, does it mean the Malaysia Government will help bank roll this team as well?

Richard

This is getting rather lively as the green lotus and black lotus get personal ....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 296324.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 279469.stm

Fernandes also says his total budget is less than £45-£60m

nipo

For me it sounds quite surprising when I read the headlines on this site that says Renault has become Lotus Renault. I have no access to facts whatsover. Only from a fan perspective I can say it will be really confusing. Usually a "constructor" name appearing more than once indicates the constructor is supplying engines to other teams. This is obviously not the case here and it sounds like another joke in the F1 circus.

That being said, if I were Tony Fernandes I'll surely fight it out to remain the single "Lotus" garage on the paddock. Afterall, I've already invested time and money and have already raced one season. I couldn't let somebody just come in and start competing in much better shape (Renault) in the same name!

Blackout

In Lotus Renault GP, Lotus is just a sponsor and a minor shareholder; it appears that Lotus bought 25% or less in the Renault F1 Team. LRGP will compete in 2011 with a car built by Renault and named Renault. But that name will remain in 2012 too.
Renault will provide engines, transmissions, KERS and technical support around the chassis for at least three years via the new entity 'Renault Sport F1'.

CHT
CHT

Looks like Tony and MG will have to go look for a new name soon.

Chapman family backs Group Lotus
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88759

autogyro

I suppose historic has to go with Group Lotus if they have been offered a museum and other major support. The historic side is after all the most important part.
Saying that Hethel is the home of Team Lotus is not true though, I do not think the original Team Lotus was ever at Hethel.
I have to support the Chapman family, although it is a shame that MG might lose the connection after his great work last year.

PlatinumZealot

Well its sad, but I guess Tony has to just give up now.

That was a real master stroke by Group Lotus, paying off the Chapmans.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Giblet

Tony and company should call their team Proton Racing, just to stir the pot.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

sknguy

Proton... lol. Yeah, they should simply find another brand and move on. This naming matter is a bit over the top. If the Chapman's prefer not having the lotus name in formula one, then fine, that should be that. It would've worked with the Chapman's on side. Tony should've consulted with Bernie on tips for locking down a trademark.

Although I still dig the yellow on green livery they should find a brand that identifies with Malaysia or SE Asia. I had trouble relating this team with the Lotus history anyway. For me, right now, it doesn't fit :|.