2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
langwadt

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

Blanchimont wrote:At first we need to know what is defined by "100kg of fuel per race".

100kg for
a: only the timed race laps
b: one lap to the grid, the timed race laps, the lap to the pit
c: a or b plus the sample for fuel testing

If i assume option a is the most likely version, then teams will have to use tank capacities of maybe 105 to 110kg.
And i don't expect a lot of cars parking after the finish flag, as force majeur was deleted from the regulations.

Teams will simply have to monitor their fuel consumption and act according to that.

yeh will be no different than today, if you don't have the liter need for sampling left in the tank you get disqualified
if you stop on track you need to have a liter plus what would have been needed to return to the pit

it will just always be 100kg and not what ever amount the team decided to start with

turbof1

The needed fuel to make it back to the pits is only for qualifying, if I'm correct.
#AeroFrodo

WhiteBlue

xpensive wrote:Can someone enlighten me as to where in the regulations the 100 kg cap on fuel for the race is written, I just can't find it?
There is a reference for a cap in the energy flow diagram which is an appendix to the technical regulations. It says that the sporting regulations will have such a cap. And various sources have confirmed the cap will be at 100 kg. Sporting regulations for 2014 have never been published. But you can bet your ass that Whiting and Renault know what they are talking about.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

WhiteBlue

turbof1 wrote:The needed fuel to make it back to the pits is only for qualifying, if I'm correct.
No, in the present form the regulations require a fuel sample in the race as well. The natural assumption is the sporting regulations will continue with that requirement because it makes total sense regardless of the way you limit power.

The 2014 formula is simply a clever way to get rid of air limitations and create a flexible way of power control that inherently favours the more efficient and sustainable engines. There was a scientific research project fundet by various gov and non gov organizations in 2004 AFAIK which recommended this fundamental switch. Back in 2006 it was mentioned by our esteemed Columbian moderator Ciro Pabon compare this link. The hosting site is run by the Motorsport Industry Association (MIA) which also organized a conference on the findings. Unfortunately the link to the conference document does not work any more but I read it and was impressed. The FiA adopted the fuel flow policy in 2006 still under Max Mosley source here when they had their talks with the GPMA under Prof. Goeschel (ex BMW) German language link here. It took Jean Todt a while to implement it when he got into office but he made it the highest priority point on his motor sport agenda.
Dragonfly wrote: IMO they do not need to have any other limit in a fuel cap formula - not on fuel mass flow, not on boost. The limits will be imposed naturally by the teams themselves.
With a limited number (5??) of engines per car no one will dare risking to lose an engine because of over boost and over revving, or stressing the engine with excess power output. Stil, depending on the quality and the capabilities of the different manufacturer engines, there will be a field for creativity. One manufacturer's engine may be better, other slightly less capable, but this is what competition is about. And diversity is which creates the competitive driving force.
The one who manages to drive faster and finish the distance first with a given amount of fuel is the one who achieves highest efficiency. No need to count piktoliters per millisecond and what's worse - limit the flow in such a manner. It may be fascinating challenge for an engineer but for the average Joe Watcher it won't have any meaning. And is a hidden factor for controversies and a mess. Any device sooner or later fails. Just a single faulty sensor is enough to ignite a scandal.
People have experience with the approach you propose and it was negative. In the late eighties we had exactly that fuel limitation regulation and it was hated by the fans. Drivers would run out of gas and tried to push their cars over the line. It was ridiculous. It also promotes economy running where drivers only drive with carefully controlled power in order to save fuel. It is similar to the fragile tyres and was hated by the fans. So the powers that be came to the conclusion to rather rely on fuel mass flow technology that was pioneered by the company Ricardo ten years ago and is now offered by Gill. It is a historical evolution which became unstoppable with the 2014 F1 and LMP1 regulations. I think you have zero chance that this fundamental decision will ever be reversed.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

xpensive

WhiteBlue wrote:
xpensive wrote:Can someone enlighten me as to where in the regulations the 100 kg cap on fuel for the race is written, I just can't find it?
There is a reference for a cap in the energy flow diagram which is an appendix to the technical regulations. It says that the sporting regulations will have such a cap. And various sources have confirmed the cap will be at 100 kg. Sporting regulations for 2014 have never been published. But you can bet your ass that Whiting and Renault know what they are talking about.
Right, I can see that now, but for all we know, it's still not been confirmed and might even differ from track to track?
WhiteBlue wrote: ...
Dragonfly wrote: IMO they do not need to have any other limit in a fuel cap formula - not on fuel mass flow, not on boost. The limits will be imposed naturally by the teams themselves.
People have experience with the approach you propose and it was negative. In the late eighties we had exactly that fuel limitation regulation and it was hated by the fans. Drivers would run out of gas and tried to push their cars over the line. It was ridiculous. It also promotes economy running where drivers only drive with carefully controlled power in order to save fuel. It is similar to the fragile tyres and was hated by the fans. So the powers that be came to the conclusion to rather rely on fuel mass flow technology that was pioneered by the company Ricardo ten years ago and is now offered by Gill. It is a historical evolution which became unstoppable with the 2014 F1 and LMP1 regulations. I think you have zero chance that this fundamental decision will ever be reversed.
I seem to remember that we had a long and serious argument over the blessings of a fuel flow limitation in the past WB,
I'm so glad that we are in agreement now, don't you think?

My view is quite the opposite of Dragonfly's, the flow-limit should be enough, there must be other ways to stop off-throttle burning to charge the MGU-H if that is the problem?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

WhiteBlue

xpensive wrote:I seem to remember that we had a long and serious argument over the blessings of a fuel flow limitation in the past WB, I'm so glad that we are in agreement now, don't you think?
My view is quite the opposite of Dragonfly's, the flow-limit should be enough, there must be other ways to stop off-throttle burning to charge the MGU-H if that is the problem?
Our learning evolves with the years. I have certainly learned one or two things about the fuel limited formula over the last four years. Indeed I tend to think that the FiA has it spot on with the new regulations. Not much wrong with it IMO.

I have written via PM to you about the 100 kg allocation. Not much else to say.

xpensive

WhiteBlue wrote: ...
I have written via PM to you about the 100 kg allocation. Not much else to say.
As long as nothing is confirmed, I prefer not to take this to the bank, I can't see it influencing engine-development anyway?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

WhiteBlue

xpensive wrote:As long as nothing is confirmed, I prefer not to take this to the bank, I can't see it influencing engine-development anyway?
I agree. It will primarily influence fuelling decisions and mappings. All software stuff really. Nevertheless teams do get pissed of when such things get changed at short notice. Software and mappings are very important nowadays and absorb a lot of work. The engine manufacturers will all have their engine designs for 2014 ready by now. So they will be simulating, debugging and optimizing their engine and hybrid control strategies. It does not help to get a late spanner in the wheels by changes you have been unaware of.

dren

Electronic rear brake bias will be allowed for the KERS harvesting part.

This goes to support the idea that the teams really do not recorver energy through braking but by engine overrrun now. With the fuel cap in place for next year, teams will likely actually use the braking for recovery.
Honda!

Forza

FIA confirms 2014 F1 regulation changes
World Motor Sport Council wrote: The following summarises the changes made to the 2014 Sporting Regulations:

- A number of new regulations have been confirmed to govern the new, far more complex power units. It is agreed that only five power units may be used by each driver for the whole season. Any use of an additional complete power unit will result in that driver having to start the race from the pit lane. Any changes of individual elements above the permitted five, such as turbocharger, MGU or Energy Store, will result in a 10 grid place penalty.

- No manufacturer will be allowed to homologate more than one power unit during the homologation period from 2014-2020. Changes to the homologated unit will continue to be permitted for installation, reliability or cost saving reasons.

- Drivers must now use a gearbox for six consecutive events, an increase from the current five.

- No car may use more than 100kg of fuel for the race, from the time the lights go out at the start of the race to the chequered flag. This will be monitored by the use of an FIA approved fuel flow meter.

The following summarises the changes made to the 2014 Technical Regulations:

- The minimum weight limit has been raised by 5kg, as the power unit is now likely to weigh more than originally expected. The weight distribution has also been changed accordingly.

- Electronic control of the rear brake circuit is permitted in order to ensure consistent braking whilst energy is being recovered.
I've only posted powertrain related changes. Follow the link for other regulation changes for 2014 http://www.fia.com/news/world-motor-sport-council-1

Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport reported on Friday that the FIA has dictated that the turbo V6s only have one exhaust outlet, and that it must exit beyond the diffuser.

That will mean that, unlike in previous years, the phenomenon of engine exhaust gases having an aerodynamic effect will be almost completely removed.

Even the "area behind the exhaust pipe is a forbidden zone", Auto Motor und Sport added.
Last edited by Forza on 28 Jun 2013, 17:26, edited 1 time in total.

WhiteBlue

dren wrote:Electronic rear brake bias will be allowed for the KERS harvesting part.
it follows from having proper dual torque mode.
dren wrote:This goes to support the idea that the teams really do not recorver energy through braking but by engine overrrun now.
Obviously you have to use the KERS MGU to harvest energy with this years cars. I thought that negative torque to the rear wheels is the same as braking. How do you come to the conclusion that they do not brake? It sounds very unlikely to me. Are the teams really harvesting with KERS only during engine over run? That would mean they have to activate the KERS harvesting by some clever programming without a brake input from the driver. Please elaborate and give us some details.

And this one answers xpensive's question regarding race fuel allocation:
FiA WMSC wrote:No car may use more than 100kg of fuel for the race, from the time the lights go out at the start of the race to the chequered flag. This will be monitored by the use of an FIA approved fuel flow meter.
Interestingly the WMSC also stopped attempts to have different customer power trains. Ferrari, Renault, Mercedes and Honda will have to supply the same specification each year to all teams that use one engine supplier including the whole recovery and energy storage system. That is apparently a decision against Red Bull who wanted an individual specification of the Renault power train. Mercedes and other teams lobbied to stop the plan.
Last edited by WhiteBlue on 28 Jun 2013, 18:02, edited 1 time in total.

WhiteBlue

SatchelCharge wrote:
Forza wrote:
...Even the "area behind the exhaust pipe is a forbidden zone", Auto Motor und Sport added.
I interpret this as no monkey seat?
I have read the article and it says that the single exhaust pipe will have to end 180 mm behind the rear axle, centrally placed in the middle and with 5° upward direction. No body work at all is allowed behind and around the exhaust exit. The FiA is determined to block any use of exhaust gases for aerodynamic gains due to cost considerations. Simulating hot exhaust gases in wind tunnels has cost a fortune in the past to the top teams. The practise needs to stop. So neither monkey seats nor coanda exhausts will be allowed in 2014. Sealing the diffusor from the wheel vortices with exhaust gas will become impossible.

Blanchimont

WhiteBlue wrote:
SatchelCharge wrote:I interpret this as no monkey seat?
No body work at all is allowed behind and around the exhaust exit.
So neither monkey seats nor coanda exhausts will be allowed in 2014.
I agreed that coanda exhausts will be banned, but monkey seats will still be allowed in the area close to the car center line.

A monkey seat will not be allowed directly behind the exhaust exit, but above or in front of the exhaust should be fine.
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

WhiteBlue

Blanchimont wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:
SatchelCharge wrote:I interpret this as no monkey seat?
No body work at all is allowed behind and around the exhaust exit.
So neither monkey seats nor coanda exhausts will be allowed in 2014.
I agreed that coanda exhausts will be banned, but monkey seats will still be allowed in the area close to the car center line.

A monkey seat will not be allowed directly behind the exhaust exit, but above or in front of the exhaust should be fine.
I guess that you can probably fit one around the exhaust body work, but it will become much bigger than today if the exhaust opening is behind the monkey seat. Teams will have to change the whole structure that supports the rear wing because the beam wing will be gone as well.