Force India VJM04 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
forty-two

Re: Force India VJM04 Mercedes

King Six wrote:After abit of research, that metal lip on the floor near those side vanes, they were there on the VJM03 from launch. So they're...probably not some sort of precursor to an eventual FEE.

http://scarbsf1.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/vjm03.jpg

Most likely the exhausts are like the RB7, where the exhaust shaped carbon tube is at the rear of the car.
Who knows how long the idea of front exiting exhausts has been kicking around?

I wouldn't personally rule out the idea that some teams might have toyed with the idea as long ago as last season, or even the one before, so just because they had trims there last year doesn't MEAN that they don't intend to use them for something this season, and nor does it suggest that they couldn't utilise them (whatever their original intent was) to help with FEE if they chose to.

I guess we will probably find out in due course!
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

wesley123

forty-two wrote:
wesley123 wrote:That 'Heat shielding' could as well as be what Audi now has been doing for years in the LMP's using metal shielding at the splitter which prevents damage due to debris etc. on the track. This is quite plausible because even IF it is heavier(which in Audi's case is not) the downside would be quite neglected due to this pece only being a few mm above the reference plane. There is no hole anywhere to be seen for the exhaust to exit so i have doubts with the FEE on the Force India
Agreed that a metal part, perhaps even wafer thin would offer a degree of protection, and could be a quick-fit part for easy replacement, perhaps even during a slow pit-stop depending upon how it's anchored.

As for the lack of a visible exhaust exit, I wouldn't personally read too much into that, there could easily be a pipe inside the CF bodywork just waiting to be exposed when they're ready.

OR the trim might be there just to get some column (or web-thread) inches!
It might be possible though, but if FI runs an FEE it is most likely that McLaren will run it too, afterall FI uses McLarens drivetrain and i can imagine that an regular exhaust setup would cost power when tuned for an FEE
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Giblet

When watching that recently posted Youtube video, the fella doing the talking (didn't get his name) mentioned a "drag reduction system" that you you can't see now, but will be able to on track.

Anyone have any clue what he was on about?
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Owen.C93

It's the official name for the adjustable rear wing, he says you can't see it because they went for an actuator in the end plates instead of the other solution that Red-Bull, Ferrari, Sauber etc use.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Giblet

Ah I thought he was alluding to something secret on the car. Just the wing that everyone else has./.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

dan
dan

I like it definitely an evolution of last year but it looks tidy

Blackout

Yeah, the sidepods are heavily undercut, like the new Virgin. Impressive. First time they reach this level of tightness in F1.

Earnard Beccelstone

I'm quietly impressed and I expect another solid mid-field showing from Force India this year.

The nose is now even more reminiscent of the R29, although slightly more butch.

The chassis and rear end are much more sculpted than previous years. The attention to detail looks impressive, particularly the sidepod undercut and aggressively narrow radiator opening.

The blade roll structure will hopefully bring a decent aero benefit.

The livery leaves me a bit mixed. While I think the positioning of the colours, particularly the green around the cockpit, is better, the rectilinear livery for this year leaves me a bit cold, compared to the nice, swooping curves of the 2010 livery.

I’d love to see the team do well again this year. Last year, to my simultaneous delight and dismay, they battled and almost beat Williams for sixth in the constructors, despite a poor second half of the season. With Sutil now entering his sixth season and di Resta performance in other categories being quite promising, its an interesting season ahead.

Blackout

Blackout wrote:
The FI has similar outlets to the Renault... but it has exhaust pipes inside them...

http://i79.servimg.com/u/f79/14/79/55/26/016_2_10.jpg

i70q7m7ghw

Roll structure is alot slimmer than the Lotus. I call BS on those that say the design was banned, it was never banned, just restricted in dimensions. This isn't far off the shape/size of the W01. And yes, there were people saying it was banned.
Last edited by i70q7m7ghw on 09 Feb 2011, 12:08, edited 1 time in total.

raymondu999

Diesel wrote:Roll structure is alot slimmer than the Lotus. I call BS on those that say the design was banned, it was never banned, just restricted in dimensions. And yes, there were people saying it was banned.
I guess if they did ban it, it would mean that they'd have to say in the rules something like a minimum radius when in forward projection, rather than just a dimensions restriction.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

King Six

It's not one of those things that can be changed during a season can it? (the roll structure) part of the homogolated chassis?

I remember the Merc W01 had it already "built in" from launch so that they could eventually use it without causing a fuss from the FIA.

horse

It must be concerning for FI and Team Lotus to not see the W02 having the blade intake any more. Perhaps there were some dynamic issues with it that wouldn't show up in a tunnel or CFD?
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

gridwalker

The "ban" started out as a rumour that people just quoted as fact (myself included) : what really happened is that the structure was regulated in order to remove a grey area from the rulebook.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

machin

From another thread in december last year:-
machin wrote:
2011regs wrote:15.2.4 The principal roll structure must have a minimum enclosed structural cross section of 10000mm², in vertical
projection, across a horizontal plane 50mm below its highest point. The area thus established must not
exceed 200mm in length or width and may not be less than 10000mm2 below this point.
E.g. a structure which is 50mm wide and 200mm long would give the necessary 10,000mm².
They obviously add the radiusing to ensure good flow around it.
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH