New member - Bought an RA107

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
F1snake

Re: New member - Bought an RA107

RA107-05 did go on loan to SA, but it never raced under their banner. It is however the late RA107B spec chassis, which is somewhat different to the chassis used at the launch.
I havent come across any SA parts on the car(these have a prefix 'P' in the parts #), they all have the standard Honda parts numbers laser etched. There's no 2008 parts on the car, but a few 2006 parts were carried over. Even older parts was used, like seat belt fastners from '05 and steering rod ends and t-tray support bars from '04. However, the vast majority of parts used on this car are unique to the 2007 B-spec chassis.

The car was used testing in Barcelona November and Jerez December 2007, and I know Andreas Zuber and Luca Filippi did some of the driving. I dont know which other drivers were involved with testing, but very likely the ones you mention.

F1snake

Hi Jake,

There's no provisions for fitting the Dumbos on the RA107 nose box, and the RA108 nose is a very different size and will not fit the car. To be honest, I'm not too keen on the look, but would have been interesting to have tested them in the wind tunnel. I actually have a pair I bought for fun, as they are such a loopy addition. But I'll think I'll leave them on the wall!

Caito
Caito

jakelewismclaren wrote:you should get the 2008 FW with the dumbo ears, unless theres a fitting on your current nose,, i found some on the web, there on herehttp://www.racetothefinish.co.uk/rttf.aspx?sec ... ywork&id=8

http://www.racetothefinish.co.uk/rttf.a ... ywork&id=8

Here is a fixed link.
Come back 747, we miss you!!

jakelewismclaren
jakelewismclaren

thanks for fixing the link, and you should stick them on with tape to have a look,, would look funny
Come On McLaren

BobHWS

F1snake wrote:

The car raced in the Earthcar livery with race number 8, and did 12 out of 18 races in 2007 with RB driving. It clocked up over 8.000 racing km's on circuits all over the world. If you have/know of any photos of the car racing, or have any interesting facts, I'd obviously be very interested.
F1snake, congratulations on your purchase.

In response to your request for race photos, I dug into my files from the 2007 Grand Prix du Canada and dug out several shots. The 2007 Montreal race was noted for being Hamilton's first win and for Kubica's big accident.

As you noted, your car was repainted in the 2008 livery and my shots show it in its original 2007 livery.

I just edited these shots and added them to my photos from the 2007 GPC. So here they are.

http://www.bobhebertphoto.com/Motor-Rac ... Prix-2007/

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

That diffuser is so much more aggressive and masculine than todays versions.

And as a side note, I like how Mexico is on the right sidepod!
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Morteza

mx_tifoso wrote:That diffuser is so much more aggressive and masculine than todays versions.

Look at those exhaust pipes! They are very big in diameter. The cars also looked more powerful along with the tires.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

jakelewismclaren
jakelewismclaren

i never liked the 2007 livery,, the 2008 livery was much better IMO, but it can't beat the livery on the McLaren
Come On McLaren

F1snake

Hi BobHWS,

What a fantastic way to introduce yourself to this forum. Woooaw, is all I can say and a million thanks for the wonderful photos. I obviously love seeing the car in action, particularly great to see such beautiful shots as yours. The Canadian GP was RA107-05's very first public appearance in 2007, which makes it even more special for me to have these photos. Thanks again, you're a star!

After all these years, its going to be very strange and sad not to see the RB helmet in a GP car again. The most experienced driver ever, a very safe pair of hands, and I, for one, am truly grateful to Rubens for putting this to good use and never crashing this car!

flynfrog

mx_tifoso wrote:That diffuser is so much more aggressive and masculine than todays versions.

I cant help but look at those pics and think we have gone backwards

Hail22

We have gone backwards watch 2014, time to swap to V8 Supercars the Nissan returns >.>

Such a shame i love innovation, if only they allowed a teams use any engine but running on the maximum race load of fuel and let all the teams decide which Formula can manage the task at hand...could easily make a v10 unit with the amount of fuel they run for a full race...
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

george1981
george1981

F1snake wrote: We do have various ideas for the engine cradle. We will need the input of a'proper' engineer, as we'd like a structure as light as possible without compromising torsional strenght. Certainly still open for suggestions!
Hi F1snake,
I'm really impressed with the car and the work you're doing . When it comes to the engine cradle I might be able to help. I've got a lot of experience of structural finite element analysis and although an engine cradle is different to most things I work on I should be able to model different ideas etc.
Keep up the good work.
Cheers
George

BobHWS

F1snake wrote:Hi BobHWS,

What a fantastic way to introduce yourself to this forum. Woooaw, is all I can say and a million thanks for the wonderful photos.
F1Snake, you're welcome. Glad you like the photos.

Here are a couple shots of the 2008 car in the same livery that your car has. As you noted, your 2007 Barrichello car was repainted in the 2008 number 16 Jenson Button livery. The 2008 Honda livery is much nicer than the 2007 livery. These shots show Barrichello in the number 17 car.

http://www.bobhebertphoto.com/Motor-Rac ... -Prix-2008

Here's a shot of Barrichello talking to the crowd at Montreal's Crescent Street F1 festival on Thursday of race weekend. He's definitely a guy who always related well to the fans (unlike some other drivers).

My own favorite "livery" is that of the Pirelli Girls, as seen at the 2011 Grand Prix du Canada. :D

More Montreal F1 Babe "liveries" can be seen here:

http://www.bobhebertphoto.com/MontrealF1Babes

F1snake

Hi BobHWS,

Many thanks for another lot of great photos. I have to agree with you that the 2008 livery is much easier on the eye. As are the included Pirelli liveries! After the 2007 race season finished, the car was stripped of the earthcar-job and painted all white, then used for winter testing. Here's a little low-res video I found of JB driving the car at Goodwood FOS 2008 in its current guise. This event was the reason for Honda changing to the 2008 JB livery http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiBwvy8J ... re=related It sounds just as good as it looks!

Hi George1981,

Thank you very much, George, for your kind words and brilliant offer to help out with the cradle. Sounds like we can put your experience to good use, so I hope you dont mind if I PM you at some point. Much appreciated.

george1981
george1981

F1snake wrote:
Hi George1981,

Thank you very much, George, for your kind words and brilliant offer to help out with the cradle. Sounds like we can put your experience to good use, so I hope you dont mind if I PM you at some point. Much appreciated.

I'd be delighted to help, the only thing I'm unsure of is the magnitude and of the loads the cradle will need to handle but I'm sure the more knowledgeable members can point me in the right direction.
Cheers
George