Williams FW33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mx_tifoso

Re: Williams FW33

Flanker27 wrote:pullrod as rb and merc?

they kept the "wings" on the nose; the rear wing is supported only by a central pillar ala Ferrari?
Don't be inconsiderate, at least read the page your post will be on. I already said that Williams are using a pull rod.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Flanker27

mx_tifosi wrote:
Flanker27 wrote:pullrod as rb and merc?

they kept the "wings" on the nose; the rear wing is supported only by a central pillar ala Ferrari?
Don't be inconsiderate, at least read the page your post will be on. I already said that Williams are using a pull rod.
i asked a confirmation

anyway it wasn't the only content of the post, so why blame me?

manchild

Check how tiny their gearbox is! :shock:

Last edited by manchild on 01 Feb 2011, 13:32, edited 1 time in total.

ell66

first thing i noticed was how short the nose was, it barley extends over the front wing at all.

ESPImperium

Look at how the rear of the Williams FW33 is so skin tight. It also shows how tiny their gearbox is as well.

Ripped from Scarabs Twitter feed:

raymondu999

Interesting piece on the Williams. They saw the centrifugal fans not aimed at the brakes, but aimed at the tyres. Could the williams be too hard on the tyres? http://www.f1photos.eu/?p=84
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

mith

The drive shaft is connected to the wheels at quite some angle.

I love the livery. It's shame it is only temporary.

RacingManiac

That is a crazy looking rear end....they are feeding suspension load into the wing support...and with pull rod the upper a-arm should be the more loaded one...

forty-two

Very tidy rear end if you ask me.

And I too am impressed at how tiny the gearbox appears to be.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

raymondu999

Isn't HRT going to use that gearbox too?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ESPImperium

raymondu999 wrote:Isn't HRT going to use that gearbox too?
Exact same gearbox and the exact same suspension. Hence why i think that Hispania went for a complete new car at the last moment, and by last moment, it was roughly 75 days to go when they decided to go for a new car.

Personally, i think it was dumb of Virgin not to have gone to Williams to get that gearbox and suspension setup.

It looks aggressive and from what i can see so far, it is aggressive on the tires, whitch from what ive read, its hard on tires. But if it was the Bridgestones, it would have been great as they were ultra conservitive, where the Pirellis are probably the other way, more aggressive.

Arunas

G/B setup looking really promising, like it, as different aerodynamic development paths possible, just one concern - drive shafts angles seams extreme. Anybody with knowledge about these?

wrigs

raymondu999 wrote:Interesting piece on the Williams. They saw the centrifugal fans not aimed at the brakes, but aimed at the tyres. Could the williams be too hard on the tyres? http://www.f1photos.eu/?p=84
I don't see how that makes any sense. First of all the tyres aren't going to catch fire once the car is stationary like the brakes might. What's more, the damage done to the tyres from severe overheating would already be done while the car was out on track. Once it's stationary, I doubt there's any damage being done to the tyres.

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Car looks good.

Hope they keep this colour scheme. It is reminicent of the Tyrells of the early 70's.

Seems with the Renault black and gold this years colour schemes may have a nostalgic feel.

mx_tifoso

Well Williams have claimed that this gearbox is their smaller ever.
Gearbox
The seven-speed ’box is the smallest ever produced by Williams F1 and works in conjunction with the new pull-rod rear suspension.

“With gearbox usage increasing from four to five races this year,” says Sam, “reliability is vital. But I’m not expecting it to be a problem because the new gearbox has the same stiffness characteristics as the old one and the rulebook forces us to be conservative with the internals. For the last few seasons the ratios have to be 12mm wide and 600g per pair, whereas in the past we were down to 8-9mm gears.”
Williams FW33 article
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.