Virgin MVR-02 Cosworth

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
godlameroso

Re: Virgin MVR-02 Cosworth

gridwalker wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:there are so many comments here because everyone has to say that the new Virgin will be a backmarker. What do you expect guys? That it will be faster than the RedBull and Ferrari together????
Not really : I had just hoped that Nick Wirth's "revolutionary" way of designing a formula one car would result in a more distinctive piece of machinery ... the only words that I can find to use for this car are "non descript" ;)
In the ALMS the Acura prototype looked practically identical from 2007 to 2008, so how was it that an almost identical LOOKING car was able to go from struggling to keep pace with the Porsches, to leap frogging them on pace even after the Porsche updated it's cars for 2008.

P2: # 6 Sascha Maassen Lap # 58 1:12.127 111.703 mph Rec
Race fastest lap at Laguna Seca 2007 Porsche RS spyder

P2: #15 Adrian Fernandez Lap #115 1:11.156 113.227 mph Rec
Race fastest lap at Laguna Seca 2008 Acura ARX-01b

Keep in mind this is just the comparison for fast lap, which was a second faster, comparing the same team from last year, they improved by over a second.

Just my way of saying that appearances aren't everything, and there are a lot of changes that you can't even perceive which add performance. I'm not saying they'll be fighting for the championship this year, not at all. I am saying the car IS faster, Wirth does good work.

reason for edit: dislexya
Saishū kōnā

wesley123
wesley123

I find the car pretty interresting, if the car is reliable they can push out at least a second out of their car and hopefully with more development they can fight in the midfield.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

ringo

Re: The relative benefits of a pull rod suspension in 2011

marcush. wrote:what is the ultimate pullrod concept -williams everything as low as possible,maximising flow to the top of the beam wing or RedBullstyle pullrod with a long narrow box trying to maximise flow under the beam....but then Mercedes pulrod does not compromise as much with pullrod angle to the fore...
What can be seen on the 2011 grid is only Ferrari has decided to stay with the
concept and dragged sauber to use it as they supply their box as well.
So this leaves Virgin ,Sauber and Ferrari as the last to use this concept at the rear...
proving that the bad boys here were right:if in doubt copy .Intriguingly the new pullrod users have chosen to not copy the whole concept of the RedBull...hm .This leads me to the conclusion that pullrod offers some distinct opportunities to implement original concepts in packaging the rear,whereas the pushrod rear was a bit of a done deal and not much coming in the last years.
Thank you!!!

meanwhile in soviet russia:

oh deer, look on that mess on the gear box. :wink:

Nice try to narrow things down, but still a messy cooling solution on top. push rods still disturbing the flow the wing as well.

Ferrari may have the best execution on this layout.
For Sure!!

ringo

Well all the best to ferrari.

very similar, only that ferrari is a bit narrower and more swept forward.
For Sure!!

ajprice
ajprice

It is VERY similar to last years car, this compares the VR-01 from 12 months ago to the MVR-02, there's a diference in length, but the initial VR-01 had that fuel tank issue #-o . The only other obvious difference from the side is the strut down to the front splitter just behind the front wheels... Oh and the Pirelli tyres and the paint.

hankalis
hankalis

and virgin does not have kers ....

Intego

Undercut sidepods in Toro Rosso style, but not that aggressive, and a weird rear wing mounting.
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

Predator

I like the look of the car but it's a basic evolution of the VR-01. Doesn't look as if it's designed with KERS in mind, let alone anything radical/innovative. I'm thinking most teams will go for similar exhaust set-ups and the bigger teams will change layouts according to whatever circuit they're on? Had to laugh at Wirth's comment regarding the wind tunnel. :D

Did a quick animation comparing the new with the old:

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

Man that Virgin must be fast to be scrapping with Ferrari....:D

See glass doesn't have to be half empty...

Earnard Beccelstone
Earnard Beccelstone

gridwalker wrote: Not really : I had just hoped that Nick Wirth's "revolutionary" way of designing a formula one car would result in a more distinctive piece of machinery ... the only words that I can find to use for this car are "non descript" ;)
Seconded.

I'd hoped that the 'all CFD' approach would result in something more radical than what they've shown with the VR-1 and VR-2. Very little exciting here.

I'm glad to see the cars this year are reasonably distinctive and show some interesting design approaches: McLaren's sidepods, William's rear end, Mercedes platypus nose, Toro Rosso's undercut double floor sidepod thingy (technical term that, I'm patenting it) and Redbull's amazing, dissapearing bodywork.

This is just "some car". Its the cheddar cheese of the F1 launches so far (looking at you HRT). If it were a colour, it would be beige.

ringo

myurr wrote:
ringo wrote:Well all the best to ferrari.

very similar, only that ferrari is a bit narrower and more swept forward.
Seriously, you're predicting that Ferrari are going to be scrapping it out with virgin... Really? Or are you just bring a twat for the sake of it?
I never said anything about pace.

Worried because MVR made the same "optimization" for a gazillion pounds less?

Don't be, MVR will only be scrapping with them if the KERS malfunctions. :lol:
For Sure!!

humble sabot

longer wheelbase if you look closely. carrying the line of the sidepod undercut smoothly from the intake to the tail and a strut on the chin, and a slight change of profile for the fin. eh, can't hurt and we can't see the refinements under the bodywork, so as long as those work out, the argument that they're results will improve sounds reasonable.
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

humble sabot

horse wrote:Yeah, looking back, you're right. This seems to be a Virgin-centric thing. No other teams are running brake ducts to pick up the upwash from the front wing, if I can remember. Increased risk of picking up debris, maybe, with such a setup?
A lot of the old Jordans were set up that way.
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

timbo
timbo

Personally I think this is a right direction for them.
Having simple design they better understand and which theoretically should better translate CFD into performance.

roadie

I really like this view of the car. Shows off the sidepod undercut very well and how the crash structure is exposed under the radiator intakes.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... gmvr11.jpg

Looking forward to seeing how Virgin can scrap and provide entertainment this year.