Virgin MVR-02 Cosworth

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
nacho
nacho

Re: Virgin MVR-02 Cosworth

I don't think that exhaust is legal in that form, like the 2009 ferrari exhaust with the exposed pipes.

FrukostScones

nacho wrote:I don't think that exhaust is legal in that form, like the 2009 ferrari exhaust with the exposed pipes.
I think it is legal, because there is no bodywork around that far back. Or are you referring to the starter hole?
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

gridwalker
gridwalker

Ok, I am really glad that someone has found something on the car worth discussing!

With regards to the Ferrari exhaust pipes :
Formula1.com wrote:Ferrari have had to modify the exhaust exits on the side pods of the F60, as seen at its launch at Mugello earlier this month (left diagram). In testing the length of the tailpipes has already been reduced (right diagram). Under the original text of the 2009 technical regulations the Ferrari solution was legal. That changed following a later meeting of the Technical Working Group and FIA technical delegate Charlie Whiting, in which it was it was decided that exhaust tailpipes are considered part of the bodywork. With most aerodynamic appendages outlawed for 2009, the fear was that without the change teams may come up with tailpipe shapes designed specifically to have aerodynamic benefits. This has been seen (legally) on cars in the past - for example, the Ferrari F2003 GA had tall, thin tailpipes which acted as fins to better direct airflow towards the back of the car.
With this in mind, it is not necessarily the amount of bodywork that is a concern but it is the amount of protrusion that dictates legality. Under these circumstances, I am not certain whether that makes this exhaust system legal (though I am erring on the side of illegality).

I don't have the time to trawl the regs : can anyone point me in the right direction?
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

timbo
timbo

gridwalker wrote:I don't have the time to trawl the regs : can anyone point me in the right direction?
Around the sidepods (ahead of rear wings) you can't have any part of the bodywork with radius <5 cm.
That was what made F60 exhausts illegal.
As the exhaust on Virgin is behind sidepods the rule does not apply.

FrukostScones

gridwalker wrote:Ok, I am really glad that someone has found something on the car worth discussing!
With this in mind, it is not necessarily the amount of bodywork that is a concern but it is the amount of protrusion that dictates legality. Under these circumstances, I am not certain whether that makes this exhaust system legal (though I am erring on the side of illegality).
my thought was just: Where no bodywork is, can't be an illegal protrusion of the bodywork. Maybe my English is sometimes too bad.

Richard
Richard

They're certainly trying to do something different with that exhaust. It appears to the route that RB are heading down, although RB have the resources to play with diffuser arrangements and exhaust routes.

In contrast I suspect that diffuser is the one they'll take to the first race, they even let people take close up pics!

I worry about the nose, a RB5 copy complete with corner ridges.

donskar
donskar

Amazed to see so many comments about a very bland car that will most likely be a backmarker.

Here are the elements of this car that concern me most:

rear wing
side pods
sides of nose

because there are no sponsors on those key positions.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

raymondu999

The new sponsorship package will be unveiled at the third tests
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

FrukostScones

donskar wrote:Amazed to see so many comments about a very bland car that will most likely be a backmarker.

Here are the elements of this car that concern me most:

rear wing
side pods
sides of nose

because there are no sponsors on those key positions.

there are so many comments here because everyone has to say that the new Virgin will be a backmarker. What do you expect guys? That it will be faster than the RedBull and Ferrari together????

PlatinumZealot

H. Zedozil wrote:Image

The brake ducts are being blocked by the front wing?.. :D
Really clever if you ask me.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

gridwalker
gridwalker

FrukostScones wrote:there are so many comments here because everyone has to say that the new Virgin will be a backmarker. What do you expect guys? That it will be faster than the RedBull and Ferrari together????
Not really : I had just hoped that Nick Wirth's "revolutionary" way of designing a formula one car would result in a more distinctive piece of machinery ... the only words that I can find to use for this car are "non descript" ;)
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

Richard
Richard

Just like McL sidepod inlets are blocked by the front wheel.

That Virgin brake duct allows a cleaner airflow between the wheel and the nose.

horse

richard_leeds wrote:Just like McL sidepod inlets are blocked by the front wheel.

That Virgin brake duct allows a cleaner airflow between the wheel and the nose.
At the risk of an inconsistent flow to the brakes themselves, maybe?
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

AFAIK they ran their front brake duct like that the whole year last year no?

horse

Yeah, looking back, you're right. This seems to be a Virgin-centric thing. No other teams are running brake ducts to pick up the upwash from the front wing, if I can remember. Increased risk of picking up debris, maybe, with such a setup?
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu