Red Bull RB7 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Formula None
Formula None

Re: Red Bull RB7 Renault

scarbs wrote:5.6 Exhaust systems :
Engine exhaust systems may incorporate no more than two exits.
That was mentioned in my post. The suggestion was that the exhaust exit be aimed at separate internal bodywork which can split exhaust flow. Do you think they could call the end of the exhaust headers the official "exit" and any bodywork it interacts with thereafter "not an exit"?
axle wrote:But....could you route exhaust gasses using something else afterwards??

Personally I think RB are experimenting with which way to flow the gas for the best overall gain, not splitting it.

You are probably correct. We have already seen them test with both the long and short exhaust setups. If so, pretty clever that they've designed the car to be flexible enough to test multiple configurations.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Formula None wrote:
scarbs wrote:5.6 Exhaust systems :
Engine exhaust systems may incorporate no more than two exits.
That was mentioned in my post. The suggestion was that the exhaust exit be aimed at separate internal bodywork which can split exhaust flow. Do you think they could call the end of the exhaust headers the official "exit" and any bodywork it interacts with thereafter "not an exit"?
What would you define as the end of the exhaust headers?

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

The end of the metallic pipe?

forty-two

Just a thought here guys, and it's just an idea that popped into my head inspired by reading the last two pages but...

Driver controlled devices such as the F-Duct have, I believe been banned this season. But i'm not sure HOW they've been banned.

What if, for example, Red Bull were using the ducts on the front of the bib as the main-stream air (like the top airbox entry on the MP4-25) and they used the exhaust gases (or a portion of them) to control a fluidic switch, which steers not only the bulk of the exhaust, but also the main-stream air gathered at the bib-vent to blow very close to the diffusor OR to blow somewhere else. That way, the pressure of the exhaust gases could be used to control the aero when above a certain pressure.

Would it be beyond the realms of possibility that Red Bull could have worked with Renault to get an engine which only gives maximum exhaust pressure when on a long straight (eg. at full revs)?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Could the exhaust blow into a channel that feeds the central section of the diffuser that isnt connected to the exhaust??? If it was the matter of a few millimetres away???

The exhaust system has something funky going on, but its less funky than what Renault have.

This is an area that will become a war zone in 2011, how far it will go, i have no idea.

Can exhausts have an opening that say air can be fed into, and when the air flow is at full speed, generated a pressure zone in the pipe that fed more air into the diffuser somehow???

forty-two

ESPImperium wrote:The exhaust system has something funky going on, but its less funky than what Renault have.
You would have to be a braver man than me to bet on that!

bar555
bar555

Future is like walking into past......

Blog : http://formula1techandart.wordpress.com/
Twitter :http://twitter.com/bar555onF1

forty-two

Nice work BAR555

Thanks very much for doing this! Very interesting.

forty-two

Another point just occurred.

Could it be that Red Bull have been able to mount their pullrod attachment points so low because they knew that their exhausts wouldn't be anywhere near?

I'm not sure of the reasons why yet, but I reckon that they're either fairly sure that their exhausts will be routed to their diffusor, or they are planning on moving them forwards as per Renault.

What do you guys think?

Florio
Florio

forty-two wrote:Another point just occurred.

Could it be that Red Bull have been able to mount their pullrod attachment points so low because they knew that their exhausts wouldn't be anywhere near?

I'm not sure of the reasons why yet, but I reckon that they're either fairly sure that their exhausts will be routed to their diffusor, or they are planning on moving them forwards as per Renault.

What do you guys think?

Thats a plausible suggestion. The design that RB has with their exhausts means that it wouldn't be too much of a headache in introducing the Renault style exhausts. The RB design seems quite conservative.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

forty-two wrote:Another point just occurred.

What do you guys think?
I think RedBull will only "do a Renault" if the Renault is obviously faster. This won't be obvious until the first race at least.

I'm pretty sure Newey's team has more than enough up its sleeve to be playing with for a while.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

mith

I think it's rather unlikely, that they will move exhaust forward unless it proves to be massive advantage. This car looks to be really tight packaged, so I find it rather unlikely, they've already left some hollow space to rout exhaust through it. In other word, it looks to me that they would need to repackage sidepods to move exhaust at the front.

forty-two

mith wrote:I think it's rather unlikely, that they will move exhaust forward unless it proves to be massive advantage. This car looks to be really tight packaged, so I find it rather unlikely, they've already left some hollow space to rout exhaust through it. In other word, it looks to me that they would need to repackage sidepods to move exhaust at the front.
I agree it would be a surprise if Red Bull had managed to leave enough room in those already super tight side-pods, but Newey has suprised us all before!

nacho
nacho

Testing without the fin:

Look at the tightness of the back.

thestig84
thestig84

nacho wrote:
Look at the tightness of the back.
So everyone says. Sure it is neat but not to different from last year. I know its not proven to be fast and this isnt the best place to say it but the Williams rear is amazing. Im sure some people havent even looked.

Concerning the RB7, I like the exhaust routeing and full marks to the guys that spotted in a little bit back. Very impressed!