Red Bull RB7 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
beelsebob

Re: Red Bull RB7 Renault

allstaruk08 wrote:have we had the secret about this car yet ?
Sorry, no, ringo is busy making it up^W^W^W I mean precisely phrasing the english used.

myurr

beelsebob wrote:
Sorry, no, ringo is busy making it up^W^W^W I mean precisely phrasing the english used.
I think the problem is that he probably spotted something common aerodynamically across all the recent Red Bulls and thought he'd found a secret, only for the RB8 to not have it.

MIKEY_!

Which means the RB8 has something even better than that... be very afraid!

myurr

MIKEY_! wrote:Which means the RB8 has something even better than that... be very afraid!
Or it was a concept tied to the EBD, or it was nothing more than a common trend that didn't really add up to anything special, or... etc.

ringo

Robbobnob wrote:dont rush him guys, i can imagine it take a while to make this stuff up... i mean urgh uhm...

Kidding... in regards to that car im not sure what it was i just found it on reddit.
I don't have to make it up. It's on my car, the rb7 8 and somewhat the new Renault.
I just feel reluctant to reveal it.
It would make F1 boring if everyone copied it. If the RB8 is too dominant then i will spill the beans.
For Sure!!

ringo

myurr wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
I think the problem is that he probably spotted something common aerodynamically across all the recent Red Bulls and thought he'd found a secret, only for the RB8 to not have it.
Nope nope. Something i realized, then tested. It's not a blind shot in the dark.

I never thought it a secret until noticing what it's worth down-force wise, and the fact that no one else has it. It's really not complicated at all and that's what makes it so hard to see.
I would like to run more CFD on the F1 model i am building so it could be explained easier, that's the delay really coupled with the fact we haven't had a race yet.
For Sure!!

RB7ate9

I, for one, barring a few pokes at the almighty ellipse, am earnestly looking forward to the big reveal. Although, if it is as much a revelation as you prescribe, perhaps we'll only be seeing it when RB stops dominating, whenever that'll be :roll: .

Considering that you are running CFD analysis should give anyone pause until the relevant figures are on the table.

Based on what you've said so far, I'm guessing that what secret you're alluding to has to be based on the packaging of the sidepods. While many other groups utilize this year deep undercuts along a fair portion of the sidepod's length (RB8 being a nominal example, and STR being the extreme example with its double floor), many are still running with a long tail-end to the sidepods rather than having a steep slope off of its back (which the RBs have had and the Lotus appears to have, and Caterham and Sauber are closer to reflecting). What this does, I cannot begin to discern, but this is what I am guessing so far.

Could the shape of the side pods generate lateral lift? Could the compact nature of the sidepods force air into a tighter volume for a more pronounced venturi effect with the radiator exits? Guesses all. But fun nonetheless!

Tim.Wright

RB7ate9 wrote:Considering that you are running CFD analysis should give anyone pause until the relevant figures are on the table.
Any monkey can "run" a CFD program
Not the engineer at Force India

RB7ate9

Tim.Wright wrote:
RB7ate9 wrote:Considering that you are running CFD analysis should give anyone pause until the relevant figures are on the table.
Any monkey can "run" a CFD program
Any money can run a CFD program; the best monkeys can create enlightening analysis.

Hence "until the relevant figures are on the table".

MIKEY_!

Maybe it's to do with the sidepods and cooling exit creating down-wash.

beelsebob

ringo wrote:
myurr wrote:I think the problem is that he probably spotted something common aerodynamically across all the recent Red Bulls and thought he'd found a secret, only for the RB8 to not have it.
Nope nope. Something i realized, then tested. It's not a blind shot in the dark.

I never thought it a secret until noticing what it's worth down-force wise, and the fact that no one else has it. It's really not complicated at all and that's what makes it so hard to see.
I would like to run more CFD on the F1 model i am building so it could be explained easier, that's the delay really coupled with the fact we haven't had a race yet.
Yes, I'm sure it's very easy to predict things when they've already happened. I for one predict that the RB7 will be the fastest car in 2011.

ringo

predicting is one thing, quantifying is another.
The rb7 was the fastest, did any of us know why?
Not really.

It wasnt the flexi wings, or any of that unfounded crazy stuff.

Put it this way, i'll reveal the last detail, but just a bit longer till i can present it better.
I'm not teasing but i need more time to demonstrate it. The first race is also a good metric on whether redbull is still enjoying that advantage.
Whether E20 lotus makes a step forward is another metric.

Their sidepods have an 11% downforce advantage. That's not down to any gimmicks or fan-dangles.
The lack of undercut on both these cars is also another clue.
For Sure!!

volarchico

My guess was going to be the internal flow. All the cooling air goes in the sidepods and then exits higher out the bazooka hole in the middle. The internal flow is turned upwards,which in turn actually produces downforce.

Just throwing that out there...haven't done any studies or CFD, and I know other teams have used this idea somewhat. Just not as pronounced as RB.

MIKEY_!

I agree with this

timbo

ringo wrote:Their sidepods have an 11% downforce advantage. That's not down to any gimmicks or fan-dangles.
So apparently other teams just can't make a CFD model of RB6-7 or whichever had this thing first and found out the secret.
You should apply to McLaren or Ferrari as a head of RedBull performance investigation department.
Send 10% of your wage to me for this idea!