2011 Testing - Jerez - 10th to 13th Feb

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
myurr

Re: Testing 2011 - Jerez - 10th to 13th Feb

I've just taken another more in depth look at it and the two photo's are at quite different angles. I still maintain that the Red Bull is as long or longer, the fact you can see the inner wheel shows that the image is not side on, which will be shortening it somewhat. But it's all guesswork with the photos we have.

For this image I took a rough trace of the McLaren and overlaid it on the Ferrari and Red Bull. You can clearly see how the tea tray doesn't line up, showing the differences in angles, but you can get a rough comparison.

feynman

Are those tracings with the scaling corrected?

Again, lifted from the other thread, uncorrected McLaren and Red Bull rear wheel detail:

Although it's only 6%, when you are dealing with long skinny cars, and unequal perspectives, it soon adds up by the time you get all the way to the front.

I think the new Red Bull is perhaps a little bit longer than last year, and maybe the McLaren shrunk a little, although with tall Jenson now sitting so low, I really very much doubt it.

Dodgy perspectives and blurry pixelated low-res guesswork aside, right now I'd put a reasonable chunk of money on the silver-limo still being plenty long enough to fend of all challengers to its stretch-king title.

ESPImperium

I recon that most cars will be long this year as to combat the mandated weight distribution rules, or get around them somehow.

mx_tifoso

Does anyone have or know of any mileage charts for all the teams?
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

raymondu999

I guess that could be worked out by the number of laps they did, no?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

mx_tifoso

Of course, but if someone has already done the numbers it would be great if they could share it with us, no?
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

myurr

feynman wrote:Are those tracings with the scaling corrected?
No, they're from the same image. However looking at the rear wheel tracing it aligns perfectly with the rear wheel of the Red Bull (which was how I originally scaled those two, switching to the front wheel when doing all the others). The tracing on the front wheel of the McLaren was also a little poor, being slightly squashed.

So I guess the cars are at quite different rotations, plus this is all done by eye so is not the most accurate...

Then again with those alignments the drivers cockpit area seems to line up quite nicely, so maybe they're not a world apart.

myurr

If someone wants to make some corrections to my images, the original PSD's for both the all car comparison and the McLaren tracing are here:

http://www.pureinnovation.com/images/f1.psd

http://www.pureinnovation.com/images/f1-2.psd

marcush.

the parallax fault is just too big as the camera angle /position is coming into this too much .a little bit better would be to base the comparison on leading edge of splitter (flat floor must start at rear edge of front tyre ) and rear trailing edge of the diffusser .difusser length fixed and starting point in rear axle line .At least this would move your first error closer to the centreline of the car...still the perspective might be wrong...

Maybe better ways would be to first match the size of front and rear rims by tweaking the perspective .

raymondu999

Actually, does anyone have all of the lapcharts consolidated somewhere for the recent Jerez tests? A single day would suffice, but data for each separate day would be great.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Samo

mx_tifosi wrote:Of course, but if someone has already done the numbers it would be great if they could share it with us, no?
From another forum:

Ferrari 463,
Red Bull 395,
Mercedes 338,
STR 327,
Sauber 320,
Renault 277,
FIndia 264,
Williams 253,
McLaren 233,
Virgin 216,
Lotus 198.

raymondu999

Make of it what you will, but I calculated the standard deviation of Alonso's first long run, and Vettel's first long run from Jerez. This should give a good idea of consistency, and how the long runs are holding up with the tyre wear I guess. But then again normal distribution and standard distribution works in either way, so not entirely sure how that would skew things. FWIW, for Alonso's long run, the standard dev I got was 0.823, and Vettel's was 0.933, to 3dp, obviously.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Richard

A bit worrying for McLaren to be down alongside Virgin, especially when they are already a week behind everyone else.

Having said that, the first week of testing is often a low mileage affair as the teams tinker with a broad range of different parts & settings. They then decide on the parts they are going to focus on and start getting some long runs in using fewer variables.

hankalis

richard_leeds wrote: Having said that, the first week of testing is often a low mileage affair as the teams tinker with a broad range of different parts & settings.
that's indeed the general trend, but this year both Ferrari and Redbull did a large number of laps during the first week of testing already.
the surprising thing is that at Valencia they've even than more laps than Mclaren which was running last year's car.

vall

raymondu999 wrote:Make of it what you will, but I calculated the standard deviation of Alonso's first long run, and Vettel's first long run from Jerez. This should give a good idea of consistency, and how the long runs are holding up with the tyre wear I guess. But then again normal distribution and standard distribution works in either way, so not entirely sure how that would skew things. FWIW, for Alonso's long run, the standard dev I got was 0.823, and Vettel's was 0.933, to 3dp, obviously.
actually, the best would be somebody plots the lap times for all long runs, incl. Shumu, Rubens, etc. This would give a better idea how fast the lap times fall, because the longer the run the larger the RMS will be