English Question

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Big Tea

Re: English Question

henry wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 17:49
Artificer must be in the running for something.
Yip, but I dont think its what you mean :mrgreen:
https://www.racenet.com.au/profiles/hor ... 1658247430
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

NL_Fer

The mechanic is tinkering the car
The mechanic is tweaking the car

Doesn’t sound the same like: the mechanic is working on the car

Just_a_fan

henry wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 17:49
Artificer must be in the running for something.

8)
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan

NL_Fer wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 18:47

"working on the car" covers everything from a full build down to a tiny adjustment of a component. Tweaking could be used for an F1 mechanic making a small adjustment e.g. to the front wing angle.

Tinkering generally has a less formal nuance to it and might be used of someone working on a machine in their own garage or shed. "Oh, he's down in his shed tinkering with the lawnmower".

Big Tea

Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 22:22
NL_Fer wrote:

"working on the car" covers everything from a full build down to a tiny adjustment of a component. Tweaking could be used for an F1 mechanic making a small adjustment e.g. to the front wing angle.

Tinkering generally has a less formal nuance to it and might be used of someone working on a machine in their own garage or shed. "Oh, he's down in his shed tinkering with the lawnmower".
Not picking, just saying for interest.
Tinker actually has an origin, it is someone who works with tin. Traditionally tinkers were those who repair items such as pots and pans and often had rounds in towns and villages where people, in particular cooks and inn keepers had regular trade for them. They usually worked by hammer spreading the material, or if not possible by brazing. in many places in UK they evolved into early scrap collectors. I still remember my great gran ' putting things out for the tinkers' when they were worn out.

Apparently, which I do not remember they were sometimes accompanied by 'bodgers', which is not a derogatory term, but they made things such as wooden pan handles or bits to repair furniture, such as broken chair legs.

Just_a_fan

Big Tea wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 22:33
Just_a_fan wrote:
NL_Fer wrote:

Tinker actually has an origin, it is someone who works with tin. Traditionally tinkers were those who repair items such as pots and pans and often had rounds in towns and villages where people, in particular cooks and inn keepers had regular trade for them. They usually worked by hammer spreading the material, or if not possible by brazing. in many places in UK they evolved into early scrap collectors. I still remember my great gran ' putting things out for the tinkers' when they were worn out.

Apparently, which I do not remember they were sometimes accompanied by 'bodgers', which is not a derogatory term, but they made things such as wooden pan handles or bits to repair furniture, such as broken chair legs.
Agreed, but tinker often refers these days to informal fiddling with bits of kit. LIkewise, bodging has a different meaning these days, although there are still bodgers around who make things in wood, often in a forestry setting.

Big Tea

Just_a_fan wrote:
20 Jul 2022, 00:00
Big Tea wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 22:33
Just_a_fan wrote:

Agreed, but tinker often refers these days to informal fiddling with bits of kit. LIkewise, bodging has a different meaning these days, although there are still bodgers around who make things in wood, often in a forestry setting.
Being a tinkering bodger, (or bodging tinkerer) I know just what you mean.