Chinese GP 2011 - Shanghai

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
volarchico
volarchico
0
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:27 am

Re: Chinese GP 2011 - Shanghai

Post

Thanks, my fuzzy memory put right. I realize now it was just that other RB that passed Button on the last few laps. :oops:

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw
49
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:27 pm
Location: ...

Re: Chinese GP 2011 - Shanghai

Post

Wow, fantastic picture kakogohrena, nice find! Saving this!

User avatar
raymondu999
54
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:31 am

Re: Chinese GP 2011 - Shanghai

Post

It appears (according to J. Allen) that Vettel's Red Bull was only giving him 30bhp on Sunday http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/04/a ... rand-prix/
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

volarchico
volarchico
0
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:27 am

Re: Chinese GP 2011 - Shanghai

Post

It's a little bit "picky", but really he said that Vettel's KERS was only giving him 30 bhp instead of 80 bhp. I guess what you meant was pretty obvious, but just to make it perfectly clear...

User avatar
Poleman
1
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: Chinese GP 2011 - Shanghai

Post

J.Allen said that this was the reason that McLarens jumped him at the start.I beg to differ.He just made a poor start.In Melbourne he didnt have KERS at all and he was able to keep Hamilton from jumping him.

Richard
Richard
Moderator
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:41 pm
Location: UK

Re: Chinese GP 2011 - Shanghai

Post

Agreed. Vettel had already been jumped by time the cars were fast enough to start using KERS.

Having said that, fully functioning KERS might have helped Vettel make more of a fight (that he would have probably lost anyway).

User avatar
raymondu999
54
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:31 am

Re: Chinese GP 2011 - Shanghai

Post

Agreed. But maybe his point was that the McLarenS got the jump on him because he only pulled 30bhp, as opposed to A McLaren?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

volarchico
volarchico
0
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:27 am

Re: Chinese GP 2011 - Shanghai

Post

Yet for the previous two races, he managed to stay way in front of the McLaren's without using KERS at all...that's what Poleman is saying I think.

User avatar
Poleman
1
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: Chinese GP 2011 - Shanghai

Post

Nice photo kakogohrena. =D> Will fit nicely as my new desktop. :mrgreen:

Also,finally a pic where the RB7 is next to the Macca in the same angle .Look at the front wing flex compared to the MP4-26.With naked eye appears to be like 2-3cm.
volarchico wrote:Yet for the previous two races, he managed to stay way in front of the McLaren's without using KERS at all...that's what Poleman is saying I think.
Exactly :)
Last edited by Poleman on Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
raymondu999
54
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:31 am

Re: Chinese GP 2011 - Shanghai

Post

I was thinking - should the poleman (not Poleman :P) be allowed to choose the polesitting side at races where the pitstraight is diagonal? It seems that sometimes, the pole position is on the wrong, dirty side. For tracks where there is just a straight line along the pitstraight (like turkey/melbourne) it's on the clean side. Fair enough. But otherwise?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

User avatar
Lurk
2
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:58 pm

Re: Chinese GP 2011 - Shanghai

Post

Vettel used KERS on Sepang start (just compare his start to Webber KERS-less one) and no car used it on Melbourne start. It is why Vettel kept his position.

In Shangai, he just missed his start. That was pretty clear during the onboard footage: good reaction time but his car struggled.

IMO the 30bhp issue is just BS.



@Raymond: Vettel asked to change the polesitting side at Sepang and it was approved. :wink:

User avatar
raymondu999
54
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:31 am

Re: Chinese GP 2011 - Shanghai

Post

As I read the news for the poleside changein Sepang, it was a drivers' request together, rather than Vettel. How do you figure no cars used it at Melbourne start though?
In China thought the cars (Button & Vettel) actually got away at the same time, and I don't think his reaction time was slower. Maybe he made a mistake with the position of the half-in clutch or the torque map or whatever, but I don't think it was reaction time. I remember watching the start and shouting after the millisecond of the launch, as I saw him get away at the same time, ie getting forward motion going at the same time. But then Jenson seemed much better on the traction off the line, so yeah.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

marcush.
marcush.
159
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:55 pm

Re: Chinese GP 2011 - Shanghai

Post

Poleman wrote:
Nice photo kakogohrena. =D> Will fit nicely as my new desktop. :mrgreen:

Also,finally a pic where the RB7 is next to the Macca in the same angle .Look at the front wing flex compared to the MP4-26.With naked eye appears to be like 2-3cm.
volarchico wrote:Yet for the previous two races, he managed to stay way in front of the McLaren's without using KERS at all...that's what Poleman is saying I think.
Exactly :)

eyes are not meant to be seeing differnces...so you cannot judge from picture evidence if there is a difference in wing height.

Also some people have already brought up the issue of rake having serious impact
on wing height... which is a wonder of geometry:
you can juggle around with lever arms try as you might but even with the leverage point being halfway of the car -which is not realistic -30mm of raised rear ride height would give you those 30mm of lower front wing.In reality the leverage is much closer to 3:1 or worse (depending on Wheelbase,but even the Mercedes shorty is not gaining anything worth mentioning by this).
So raising the rear a considerable 30mm would net in 10mm less front wing height... :roll: I´d rather not go deeper into this ..funny people jump on this
the rake is not for lowering the front wing.

Tamburello
Tamburello
0
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:52 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: Chinese GP 2011 - Shanghai

Post

raymondu999 wrote:I was thinking - should the poleman (not Poleman :P) be allowed to choose the polesitting side at races where the pitstraight is diagonal? It seems that sometimes, the pole position is on the wrong, dirty side. For tracks where there is just a straight line along the pitstraight (like turkey/melbourne) it's on the clean side. Fair enough. But otherwise?
I agree, the poleman should have the choice.

Shanghai and Sepang have very similar pit straights in that the grid is very close after the last corner which is a left hander so naturally all the cars stay right going ahead to go straight at the line, then later drift to the other side for the first turn.

Tamburello
Tamburello
0
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:52 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: Chinese GP 2011 - Shanghai

Post

Poleman wrote:J.Allen said that this was the reason that McLarens jumped him at the start.I beg to differ.He just made a poor start.In Melbourne he didnt have KERS at all and he was able to keep Hamilton from jumping him.
He made a poor start but he could have had a KERS issue too. In Melbourne he had a good start but Hamilton had a bad one before he pushed the KERS button and retook 2nd from Webber. Vastly different circumstances.