A paperboard Red Bull RB7

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
PaulB

Re: A paperboard Red Bull RB7

richard_leeds wrote:What if you were given the drawings and only had to build the car?
One, maybe one and a half months less.
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose!" - Ayrton Senna

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL
http://paulsf1.wordpress.com/

PaulB

Hello guys,

by the way, if somebody is interested in, my drawing of the front wing:

Cheers,
Paul

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL

mx_tifoso

I finally saw your piece in the F1 Magazine! I was proud to see such a young talent being recognized, all while being a uni student.

And that front wing is simply great. Keep it up!
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

PaulB

Hello guys!

Very small update for today:
The nosecone with it's ftont-wing is completely finished now. It's looking good.

At the front end of the monocoque, I fitted the brake fluid reservoirs. Behind that, you can see the CAN-3 Interface Unit from MES. I'm not 100 percent sure if it's the CAN-3 Unit, but on pictures it seemed to be.

At the moment I'm working on the front suspension. There's not much to show there. But here's the drawing of the suspension. If somebody is interested in, I could scan it and post it.

At the end, a view in the RB's workshop.

That's it, thanks for watching.
Cheers,
Paul

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL

PaulB

Hello guys!

Short storry before the RB7 update:
Last week, a share about my RB7 on Facebook was commented with "Very impressive. I work at RB and was amazed at the underbody detail.". I came in contact with that man. He's working for a long time as a composite production engineer at RBR. He adverted me, that I marked the underbody with the wrong serial number (#102: RB7-BO-1733 anstatt #102: RB7-BO-1773). :lol: He showed my blog to a few of his colleagues in composite office and to a few design guys and "...they were impressed with the underbody detail (as well as the exterior).". For sure I asked him, if he knows Adrian. Not personally, but he has already speaked to him a few times. C. Horner he knows well. As you can see, my RB7 goes Milton Keynes.

To the car, I started with the rear suspension. The wishbones are already finished.

That's it for the moment.
Cheers,
Paul

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL

PaulB

Hello guys!

Today I finished the underbody. There's not much to say about that. Fitting the plank, screws and glueing the heat shiled at the rear. I don't know it exactly if the heat shield also covers the fins in the diffuser.
The guys at RB will swear about me, that I present all their aerodynamical secrets - okay, meanwhile, after Monza it's not a secret any more (Although I built the floor long before Monza).

That's it for the moment.
Cheers,
Paul

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL

mx_tifoso

If you managed to fit a tiny LED strip on the crash structure it would make this even more epic!
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Shrieker

I'm surprised you haven't actually gotten a job offer. Or have you :)
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

ajdavison2

Any updates for us paul? It's been a while, i'm sure i speak for everyone when i say we're all very excited to see your progress. my theory is that redbull have been cloning and growing adrian neweys and paul is one of those experiments :p haha.

strad

Haven't checked in in a while...Great stuff dude...each time I am more impressed. =D>
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

PaulB

Hey guys!

Yeah, I'm back. :wink:
After a long learning session with no time for modelling, here's the next update.
mx_tifosi wrote:If you managed to fit a tiny LED strip on the crash structure it would make this even more epic!
That would looking great. I'll think about it.
Shrieker wrote:I'm surprised you haven't actually gotten a job offer. Or have you :)
I haven't. RBR offers industial placements only for finished students. I'll join them in 3 to 4 years when I'm finished. But I requested Carlin motosports for a placemnt in summer. I didn't got a reply yet.

At first, I finished the rear suspension parts - dampers and wishbones and mounted them. It was not that easy to pack the damper arragement in the tight rear.

Sadly that will be covered by a heat shield. Maybe you could see it through the small vent holes at the rear.

Also the front push rod I fitted to the car.

Now to the exhaust system. Dont ask me why RB covered the whole exhaust system with that carbon fibre shield. Carbon fibre is common for it's less resistance regarding high temperatures. The most epoxide resins used in motorsport resist temperatures up to 130°C (403K), above that, they get soft (special resins up to 180°C). Maybe they covered the housing with a heat protection foil for losing as less as possible caloric heat and therefore energy. So they could improve the efficiency of the exhaust blown diffuser. As I said, only a theory.

That's it for the moment, thanks for watching.
Cheers, Paul

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL

Richard

I'd love to see you try the McLaren U side pods.

Richied76

richard_leeds wrote:I'd love to see you try the McLaren U side pods.
+1 but i guess your hearts got to be in it, hey paul? good luck with carling. Just out of interest, given enough thought, would you ever consider building a car of your own design? Given it would involve ALOT more time in the drawing phase but as far as realism is concerned (you being a perfectionist and all) you could make it as simple or as exotic a car as you'ld like and maybe it wouldnt be such a labour to build.

PaulB

Maybe next year. ;)
Richied76 wrote:
+1 but i guess your hearts got to be in it, hey paul? good luck with carling. Just out of interest, given enough thought, would you ever consider building a car of your own design? Given it would involve ALOT more time in the drawing phase but as far as realism is concerned (you being a perfectionist and all) you could make it as simple or as exotic a car as you'ld like and maybe it wouldnt be such a labour to build.
No, I've not think about that yet. But for sure it will take an insane mount of work (even the car(s) I'm building now take a lot of time). I'll think about it - maybe one regarding 2014 reglement.

Now to the car. The rear suspension is already finished. The front suspension is at work. Does anybodey have (a) picture(s) of the front upright? Please send it to me.
Thanks!

Cheers,
Paul

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL

PaulB

Helllo guys!

Today an update regarding the rear suspension.
The rear uprights. I could build them in full detail, but later tehy will disaperar inside the brake ventilation. The most important thing is, that they have a big strengh and will not flex later inside the brake vents and destroy my suspension geometry. The "brake duct" (if you can call that figure brake duct) itself is very spectacular. Seven flaps on it, three of them with a gurney. That gives downforce directly to the wheel.

The links of the top wishbones will be covered with another wing later. There are also the points of attachk of the pull rods which are not mounted yet. The fitting points of the upper wishbones will be detailed out tomorrow

A short view at the inside of the mounted brake ducts. It's everything very close together. If I've forgotten to mount something in there, what I don't hope, then I'll have a little big problem...

That's it for the moment, the same tomorrow with the front suspension, thanks for watching.
Cheers,
Paul

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL