Spanish GP 2011 - Barcelona

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
marcush.

Re: Spanish GP 2011 - Barcelona

inte3resting bit is the quickest race lap was set on new prime tires!...so the mistake was to put the primes too long on the car ?

FrukostScones

DaveKillens wrote:... Although criticism of the Spanish director's choice of TV feeds is questionable...
As far as I know they are FOM directors, Bernie's guys, every race the same brilliant people ( I know it must be hell of a difficult job, but c'mon today was awful). Even the commentators of my broadcast were begging them for the important pictures...
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

ringo

Vettel loses monaco next week, today has shown he's not cut from the same cloth as THE BOSS.
The gap is reducing and Hamilton is smelling redbull blood. Had it not been a redbull track, we would have seen a repeat of china.
Truth is Vettel was saved by turns 3 and the final corner.
Lewis has Vettel's number, i think he knows he's the better driver, based on the machinery.
Vettel escaped today thanks to the track being a non overtaking track.

Both are 2 of the best on the grid, but with 14 races left it's hard to see redbull holding off Lewis "the pressure cooker" Hamilton for the rest of the season.
He'll break them. 8)

Sebasitian Hamilton is in range!! :o

Tired of this redbull dominance. :cry:
For Sure!!

ringo

DaveKillens wrote:
And now to the one and only relevant question .. can anybody have a response for Vettel, can anyone stop or slow this German juggernaut?
The juggernaut is the RB7. No KERS or DRS and the car is still flying. There will be a response. I think this would make a nice thread.
For Sure!!

donskar

ringo wrote:Vettel loses monaco next week, today has shown he's not cut from the same cloth as THE BOSS.
The gap is reducing and Hamilton is smelling redbull blood. Had it not been a redbull track, we would have seen a repeat of china.
Lewis has Vettel's number, i think he knows he's the better driver, based on the machinery.

Both are 2 of the best on the grid, but with 14 races left it's hard to see redbull holding off Lewis "the pressure cooker" Hamilton for the rest of the season.
He'll break them. 8)

Sorry, I'm very tired, so I must ask -- was this post a joke?

Hamilton had the advantage of DRS and KERS and you say "Vettel escaped"!?

I root for Ferrari, don't like Vettel, and strongly dislike Hamilton, so I ask with little or no bias: how close would Ham have been if Vettel had had KERS throughout the race? And how close will future races be when RB get their KERS sorted out? Hoping I'm wrong, but I am not optimistic about a close race for WDC or WCC.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

HampusA

Just as much as the above post must be a joke..
You know Hamilton personally?

Red Bull has a superior car, Hamilton ran on pure driving skill today. Same as Alonso who should have started 8th or something but put together a fantastic lap then overtakes 3 guys down to T1 and leads for 20 laps despite having the worst car of them all.

Hamilton is the fastest driver since Senna. That doesn´t necessarily mean he´s the best over a championship, even Senna had two Championships decided at the last race but still managed to out qualify his teammate with 1.5 seconds or lap a whole field in the wet except for the runner-up.
Last edited by HampusA on 22 May 2011, 23:49, edited 1 time in total.
The truth will come out...

ringo

@ donkstar Hamilton would have been nowhere without a few things falling into place I concede. Many things had to happen to give lewis a chance today. Alonso slowing up the front of the race.
KERS issues etc.
I was taking all things into account up to the last stint. Vettel escaped thanks to the final turn and turn 3.

There will be tracks where the mclaren will be more competitive and there will be tracks where Webber can take pole again. things can't be perfect every sunday, so assuming opportunity presents itself, Hamilton can setup a proper challenge.

In the long run the championship is not over like most think. Too many kinds of tracks and variables like engine failures, gearbox failures, wet races etc.

The WCC is a lost cause, but the WDC is still wide open. Enough pressure like we saw today and we'll see more shivering in the legs on the pit wall from redbull.
For Sure!!

beelsebob

donskar wrote:
ringo wrote:Vettel loses monaco next week, today has shown he's not cut from the same cloth as THE BOSS.

He'll break them. 8)

Sorry, I'm very tired, so I must ask -- was this post a joke?

Hamilton had the advantage of DRS and KERS and you say "Vettel escaped"!?

I root for Ferrari, don't like Vettel, and strongly dislike Hamilton, so I ask with little or no bias: how close would Ham have been if Vettel had had KERS throughout the race? And how close will future races be when RB get their KERS sorted out? Hoping I'm wrong, but I am not optimistic about a close race for WDC or WCC.
Given that Hamilton was closing in a second a lap before getting into dirty air, yes, I absolutely do think Vettel escaped. If the last corner were tighter, Hamilton would have got him – i.e. exactly what ringo said – if this weren't a no-overtaking track, we would have seen a china repeat.

beelsebob

ringo wrote:@ donkstar Hamilton would have been nowhere without a few things falling into place I concede. Many things had to happen to give lewis a chance today. Alonso slowing up the front of the race.
I'm not convinced – given how he was able to stay on Vettel even once Vettel was in clean air, I don't think that was necessary.
KERS issues etc.
Again, I don't think necessary – Hamilton was eating a second a lap out of vettel, even with the most generous estimates of KERS's benefits, that's still half a second he would have been chasing Vettel down at.
There will be tracks where the mclaren will be more competitive
Hell yeh, looking forward to Canada/Spa – those U pods driving the beam wing will let them strip off a huge amount of rear wing and they'll be hugely quick.
In the long run the championship is not over like most think. Too many kinds of tracks and variables like engine failures, gearbox failures, wet races etc.
Even without that, I think we've seen that McLaren have pretty much caught RBR now – their Q pace is no where near, clearly RBR are doing something special there, but their race pace is right on them. Give it a race or two and I wouldn't be surprised to see McLaren having a clearly faster race car.
The WCC is a lost cause
Again, not convinced, Button should consistently beat Webber, the only question is can Hamilton beat Vettel – I would bet that if HAM makes the WDC, McLaren will make the WCC.

Just_a_fan

And of course, if the Red Bull was mortally wounded by KERS problems, who's fault is that? Red Bull have taken the decision to compromise KERS in order to keep the aero concept pure. Once McLaren get within 0.5s of the RB then Red Bull's decision will look silly and Vettel really will need to put in "driver of the day" performances to keep winning.

Had the DRS zone been earlier or the last corner tighter, then I think Hamilton would have overtaken Vettel. But they weren't and Vettel was able to use his car's strengths to counter the McLaren's strengths. And being ahead in such circumstances is worth an awful lot...

As the saying goes, "catching in F1 is one thing, overtaking is something else entirely".
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

vall

I am not sure of why Macca's fans are too quick to celebrate that they closed the gap to RBR? Remember that only one a race ago in Turkey Ferrari was ahead. Things can turn around very quickly.

Ray

HampusA wrote:That doesn´t necessarily mean he´s the best over a championship, even Senna had two Championships decided at the last race but still managed to out qualify his teammate with 1.5 seconds or lap a whole field in the wet except for the runner-up.
Doesn't really matter how much you outqualify the field or your teammate when the winning move is to deliberately take out your rival on the first lap. Senna was dirty through and through. Lewis isn't. Why people compare Lewis, the best and cleanest passer in Formula 1, with someone who deliberately put his competitors at risk so he could pass them is beyond my understanding.

Ray

ringo wrote:Vettel escaped thanks to the final turn and turn 3.
Vettel maximized his advantages, didn't make a mistake and drove a beautiful race. That's 'escaping'? :roll: :lol: At least your consistently biased, I'll give you that.

Ray

beelsebob wrote: Even without that, I think we've seen that McLaren have pretty much caught RBR now – their Q pace is no where near, clearly RBR are doing something special there, but their race pace is right on them. Give it a race or two and I wouldn't be surprised to see McLaren having a clearly faster race car.
And when RBR have their KERS working at every race, on every lap, we'll see that McLaren don't have an equal car. Vettel had a partially functioning KERS the last bit of the race and Lewis still couldn't pass him with KERS and the advantage of the DRS. The cars aren't equal obviously. The only reason Lewis was that close is because he drove his heart out.

jamsbong

I wonder why a lot of you still reckon RedBull is faster during race day. Yes, it is faster in quali and that has been explained by James Allen (in his website). The RB7 has been heavily optimised for the DRS to be open on all possible areas of the track. Where as Mclaren is more focused on Race trim performance.

On hindsight, the most important reason why Vettel was able to stay ahead was that he made no mistakes and did the most appropriate thing at the right time. I strongly doubt that the RB7 was faster during the final part of the race. If Hamilton did overtook Vettel, he would have sailed away because of a faster car (with a 100% working KERS).

As for who was the better driver on that day. I think both were great and both were extremely hungry for the WDC. Makes this season more interesting to see these fights. You guys can do the detail analysis with info from ManipeF1.

http://www.manipef1.com/results/2011/spain/

There is leaders chart, etcs...