2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
codetower

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Vanja, as always, thank you for all of your insight. It’s truly appreciated.

Question regarding our tire warm-up. Seems that is still a minor issue for us. I feel Canada is still going to be a bit cooler giving us some difficulty there. Is the tire warm up just a compromise between quick warm-up and degradation? We either have low deg, Or Faster warm-up? Is this something that can be solved through set up, or is this something that needs to be developed against and improved?

Additionally, is there any validity to Charles’ claim about energy deployment? If so, is this something that can be fixed through different mappings, or is it just the way our ERS is built?

ScuderiaLeo

Sphere3758 wrote:
20 May 2024, 12:35
Helmut Marko expects a strong Ferrari at Monaco

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-ma ... /10613201/

I mean, Charles was a tenth off last year with the horrendous sf-23. If he has a car that is anywhere close, I expect him to grab pole.
I think it's best to temper expectations. The development field is much closer this year and the qualifying form of the other top drivers is better than last year. Charles is an amazing qualifier but even when he gave an almost perfect run in Imola he was still off from MCL because of setup and inherent car differences. Maybe if Ferrari commits to the qualifying setup we have a chance, but considering the track record of the past few races I don't see Ferrari magically fixing their Sector 1 issues just for Monaco. Every tenth is beginning to matter nowadays with the cars being so close, being "just" a tenth off is still too much.

yooogurt

Vanja #66 wrote:
20 May 2024, 12:55
That's a very nice way to put it and indeed no one would have even questioned if RB20 is still the best out there in that case :)
And I like Piergiuseppe Donadoni's poin:
"The MCL38 was once again plagued by that annoying rear overheating that limited its potential at the start of this World Championship, as well as in the final part of the first stint.

On the second stint, Verstappen's Red Bull began to lose temperature, especially at the front, due to annoying understeer, while Norris was able to start to move smoothly without being subjected to that annoying overheating seen at the start of the race.

However, it should be emphasized that the SF-24 2.0 was the most stable on the tires, which was also confirmed by Leclerc at the end of the race, neither overheating nor underheating the tires. However, Leclerc's starting position, coupled with a suboptimal strategy and a mistake, prevented him from coming much closer to Max Verstappen and Lando Norris at the finish line."

With such close gaps, it takes a perfect team performance to win, and sometimes a little luck.
+ I'm hoping the package is still mastered and in Canada car will be faster.
FORZA FERRARI!

yooogurt

ScuderiaLeo wrote:
20 May 2024, 15:45
Maybe if Ferrari commits to the qualifying setup we have a chance.
All team will commits to the quali setup.
FORZA FERRARI!

Sphere3758
Sphere3758

ScuderiaLeo wrote:
20 May 2024, 15:45
Sphere3758 wrote:

I mean, Charles was a tenth off last year with the horrendous sf-23. If he has a car that is anywhere close, I expect him to grab pole.
I think it's best to temper expectations. The development field is much closer this year and the qualifying form of the other top drivers is better than last year. Charles is an amazing qualifier but even when he gave an almost perfect run in Imola he was still off from MCL because of setup and inherent car differences. Maybe if Ferrari commits to the qualifying setup we have a chance, but considering the track record of the past few races I don't see Ferrari magically fixing their Sector 1 issues just for Monaco. Every tenth is beginning to matter nowadays with the cars being so close, being "just" a tenth off is still too much.
There is no fun in tempering expectations :)
And Leclerc is still the best qualifier on the grid, especially on street tracks. I would absolutely expect him to make up the tenth or 2 deficit that Ferrari might have in comparison to RBR and McLaren on this track. If everything is just dependent completely on the car, what is the point in rooting for drivers ?

Xyz22
Xyz22

If the car is not consistent and reactive on low fuel trim (like in the past 7 races) there is no chance to be on pole in Monaco which requires supreme confidence on the car and the tyres.

yooogurt

In Monaco, the SF-24 2.0 will feature a new specification for the high-load rear wing and a new DRS unit. (c) uno
FORZA FERRARI!

Space-heat
Space-heat

bananapeel23 wrote:
20 May 2024, 15:29
Space-heat wrote:
20 May 2024, 12:52
Sphere3758 wrote:

Last years car was a monster in traction, was it not, I think we have dropped off a bit in slow corners and traction. I think RBR have been the best here this season. I would think Mclaren should be favorites here if RBR will struggle with bumps as some are suggesting.

What are Ferrari strengths, medium speed corners (1st/2nd), high speed (2nd/3rd), tire wear and maybe curb/non smooth tracks. Is there anything else the SF24 excels at?
I'm pretty sure the SF23 was pretty good under traction, but the car that was truly a monster under traction was the pre-TD039 F1-75. No one could even get close to their performance out of slow speed corners. That car was stupidly fast on slow tracks with many traction zones, like Monaco. Leclerc was already 2.5 tenths faster than anyone else during his first Q3 lap in Monaco 2022. Then he was up something like 6 tenths by the swimming pool chicane in his second Q3 lap, while no one else was improving substantially. Sadly he never got to finish that lap because Checo spun, but Leclerc was in all likelihood going to end up with a ~1 second pole margin over the fastest non-Ferrari.

The 2022 Ferrari was untouchable on slow tracks with many traction zones. It was a total monster that was amazing under traction and had incredible front end grip in low-medium speed corners. For context, the 2022 Monaco pole time was 0.011 seconds off the 2023 time, despite the 2023 cars generally being about a second faster than their 2022 counterparts in qualifying at most tracks. If Leclerc got to finish his second Q3 run in 2022, he would have been at least 6 tenths up on the 2023 pole time.
Makes the 2022 Monaco race strategy disaster all the more painful.

I think some of the F1-75 traction was also related to their energy deployment out of corners, which contributed to it eating its tires or maybe that was for the SF23, hard to remember.

yooogurt

Xyz22 wrote:
20 May 2024, 16:48
If the car is not consistent and reactive on low fuel trim (like in the past 7 races) there is no chance to be on pole in Monaco which requires supreme confidence on the car and the tyres.
I don't think it's a tire problem in qualifying at Imola. In the race, Charles loses as much on sector 1, throughout the race.
FORZA FERRARI!

Space-heat
Space-heat

Vanja #66 wrote:
20 May 2024, 14:39
Space-heat wrote:
20 May 2024, 14:23
Thanks, Vanja. So the thoughts are among the top 3, any can dominate set-up dependent?

Hopefully in Canada we see Ferrari run similar RW+BW to RBR and Mcl. It would be great to get a sense where the SF24 is on top speed for similar DF levels. Fred has said, gains from here will be minimal, it seems the next package might target slow speed cornering and tire warm up. I can not find the link where it is mentioned that the next update will target weaknesses identified from the first 6 races...
Yes, both Vasseur and Sainz confirmed this. Imola package started in late January I believe and was signed off in late March. They took some time to confirm the right aero development path in Bahrain (and went on two bodywork development paths until then, according to Formu1a.uno) before continuing with a single path after Bahrain weekend. Silverstone package will now likely focus on a slightly different aero map to allow different suspension setup, which will warm up those tyres a bit quicker I guess.

I expect a completely new floor inlet and the bulk of the floor, perhaps even further evolved floor edges. Tweaks to sidepods may come in third package, better to focus on what they have right now - unless they find 1-2 tenths from a different inlet or something, which I seriously doubt though :mrgreen: Wings are quite ok, maybe the two-piece beam wing can be evolved or another spec introduced with bigger top element for a bit more rear downforce, but I don't think it would be a cost-efficient update. Then again, they might have something like that for Monaco already, so...
Formula Uno article on the next package - https://formu1a.uno/it/ferrari-novita-a ... ti-deboli/

Similar to what you said. Monaco is an outlier but hopefully Canada and Barcelona will let us get a sense how close the new package is. I know McLaren's performance has disappointed some, but compared to last year we are so much closer to RBR. Also there are pics of both Mclaren's and RBR's floor out there for Ferrari to pick apart.

Vanja #66

yooogurt wrote:
20 May 2024, 16:51
In Monaco, the SF-24 2.0 will feature a new specification for the high-load rear wing and a new DRS unit. (c) uno
Hopefully just a rework of flap tips of the original 2022-spec high-load wing, no need to get costs up for this in my view
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

scuderiabrandon

Vanja #66 wrote:
20 May 2024, 18:57
yooogurt wrote:
20 May 2024, 16:51
Hopefully just a rework of flap tips of the original 2022-spec high-load wing, no need to get costs up for this in my view
According to ex Mclaren aero I've spoken to, they're relatively cheap to develop and manufacture.

yooogurt

When Leclerc refers to what happens in Q with the other teams' hybrid,most likely he is simply referring to what is called "Delta SOC feedback" (state of charge)
It is a work that is done at the factory by working on PU settings based on the characteristics of each track with the ICE/MGUH hardware finding the optimal points and then looking at the balance between Q and race.
This control is called delta SOC feedback.
Unlike the race in Q the SOC must be consumed 100% on the hot lap
Most likely Ferrari has not optimized its distribution as well as possible in Q laps and in the race.
https://x.com/DANIELEALOFAN/status/1792595157134536907
FORZA FERRARI!

dialtone
dialtone

What I did see from average laps in past races is that there is a clearly distinct acceleration phase on RBR past 150kph that Ferrari only catches up with around 200+kph much later.

I can dig up stuff when I have time or check on what happened in the last race.

yooogurt

dialtone wrote:
20 May 2024, 19:49
I can dig up stuff when I have time or check on what happened in the last race.
it would be interesting.
FORZA FERRARI!