2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LM10
LM10

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Vanja #66 wrote:
10 May 2024, 08:34
LM10 wrote:
10 May 2024, 00:04
Some posts are absolutely hilarious. At some point it gets hard to decide whether to laugh or to cry as a reaction. :lol:
It is hard to resist the hype anywhere in the world, I can only imagine the hype level in Italy any time there is a remote chance to fight for wins and WDC... :?

But the reality now is that Ferrari has to chase after Red Bull after TD39 and early 2023 and all the hype is completely out of place. Everyone will improve over the season, Red Bull included. McLaren pushed their upgrades and favoured one driver to get them first and still won by luck, in spite of being the quickest (by a small margin) on Sunday.

The pessimism is even more out of place, with budget cap there is not a lot a team can do to massively improve over a season. Ferrari has improved the car and their track operations and even both drivers are performing better and more consistently than either 22 or 23 as a duo. And everything keeps improving with every weekend, as we can see.

It will take time to get back at RB. I still don't see anyone being consistently outright quicker than RB until later next year, after they are close to wrapping up WDC and WCC and have put all their attention and resources on 2026 car. I will be very surprised if it happens sooner, even with ongoing power struggle and somewhat hectic environment.
Completely agree.

Space-heat
Space-heat

CouncilorIrissa wrote:
10 May 2024, 17:31
We really need more photos to declare whether we could count this as true B-spec or not. We haven't seen the top of the sidepods, nor have we seen the closeup shots from the rear and the beam wing.
This. We haven't seen if Ferrari have adopted the steep drop near the end of the downwashing side pod that RBR had from the start and MCL added last race. Might not be feasible with the rear suspension geometry. The floor inlet was supposed to be aggressively changed which also haven't seen yet.

The 1.0 was panned widely as it was too "basic", as long as we get 2-3 tenths who cares. The floor is where the performance is, if we nail that happy days. I think it is a pretty big change, I am not sure what people were expecting, a complete overhaul? What could Ferrari have shown here that would make it a sufficient change to dub evo. By reports we have new FW, RW, engine cover, floor, sidepod inlet, sidepod, cobra wing thing...the only remaining component is the beam wing or am i missing something.

Cs98
Cs98

LM10 wrote:
10 May 2024, 18:18
Cs98 wrote:
10 May 2024, 17:47
Timtim99 wrote:
10 May 2024, 16:53

If you know this without seeing the data today, you need to be in a formula 1 team.
Just guesstimating based on how much time successful packages from other teams have brought, based on the scale of the changes. McLaren's 4 tenths package was more substantial than this, and RB's 1-1,5 tenth package at Suzuka was slightly smaller than the changes we have seen so far (without the expected floor). So I'd expect Ferrari to land somewhere in the middle. Could of course be different, maybe a visually small change generates a big benefit, or the package could be a let down. But my expectation is 2-3 tenths based on the visuals.
The floor generates like what, 80% of the overall downforce? There’s absolutely no way to predict any gains by simply looking at the changes on the outside.

Having said that, the visual upgrades are significant in my opinion. The inlet was never going to turn into a letterbox inlet given the completely different cooling layout of the Ferrari compared to others. Overbite combined with a P-shaped inlet making use of the already existing S-duct is as much as can be expected for a in-season upgrade package.
The upgrades are significant but they are clearly an evolution. Finding 4 tenths through one evolutionary in season upgrade is incredibly difficult. Macca did it last week but if you go down the list of components they changed you'll see that they hit basically everything. Front wing, suspension front and rear, floor, sidepod inlets, sidepod body, engine cover, coke bottle, beam wing, brake cooling inlets. The lot, and substantial changes too, not just tinkering a bit. Brand new front wing, brand new floor etc. That was 4 tenths (we think), and clearly making up for the lack of upgrades on the launch spec McL. Ferrari's launch spec was a far bigger step from the SF-23, and from what we've seen so far the upgrade is not as extensive as the Macca IMO. And then you had the Italian media for a long time saying they were expecting 2-3 tenths before they suddenly changed their tune and increased that as we got closer, is that genuine or just a bit of extra hype so that the same outlets can sell you the same story twice? Who knows. I am expecting 2-3 tenths, but I wouldn't be shocked if it was slightly more or less, you never know for sure until they race.

Sphere3758
Sphere3758

Do we have a single picture of Carlos in the car this afternoon? I can’t seem to find any on twitter, so strange.

yooogurt

LM10 wrote:
The floor generates like what, 80% of the overall downforce?
I read that 60% floor, 20% rear wing and 20% everything else.
FORZA FERRARI!

Vanja #66

AR3-GP wrote:
10 May 2024, 17:36
This is a proper B-spec car. It is significantly different in its design.
Let's not get frivolous now :mrgreen: B spec cars used to require new chassis. Today we can settle for substantially different nature of overall bodywork and resulting flow field, like W14B. Not even RB20 Japan spec can be considered a B spec, let alone McLaren or Ferrari upgrades. :D

yooogurt wrote:
10 May 2024, 19:09
I read that 60% floor, 20% rear wing and 20% everything else.
Floor is close to 70% and both wings are 35-40% depending on the df level. Rest of the bodywork and tyres generate lift :)
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

ferkan
ferkan

What was so big about Japan spec for RB? Didnt seem that big, but maybe its just me.

jrdls
jrdls

Sphere3758 wrote:
10 May 2024, 18:49
Do we have a single picture of Carlos in the car this afternoon? I can’t seem to find any on twitter, so strange.
Here's one from funoanalisitecnica:

bananapeel23

Cs98 wrote:
10 May 2024, 18:44
LM10 wrote:
Cs98 wrote:
10 May 2024, 17:47

Just guesstimating based on how much time successful packages from other teams have brought, based on the scale of the changes. McLaren's 4 tenths package was more substantial than this, and RB's 1-1,5 tenth package at Suzuka was slightly smaller than the changes we have seen so far (without the expected floor). So I'd expect Ferrari to land somewhere in the middle. Could of course be different, maybe a visually small change generates a big benefit, or the package could be a let down. But my expectation is 2-3 tenths based on the visuals.
The floor generates like what, 80% of the overall downforce? There’s absolutely no way to predict any gains by simply looking at the changes on the outside.

Having said that, the visual upgrades are significant in my opinion. The inlet was never going to turn into a letterbox inlet given the completely different cooling layout of the Ferrari compared to others. Overbite combined with a P-shaped inlet making use of the already existing S-duct is as much as can be expected for a in-season upgrade package.
The upgrades are significant but they are clearly an evolution. Finding 4 tenths through one evolutionary in season upgrade is incredibly difficult. Macca did it last week but if you go down the list of components they changed you'll see that they hit basically everything. Front wing, suspension front and rear, floor, sidepod inlets, sidepod body, engine cover, coke bottle, beam wing, brake cooling inlets. The lot, and substantial changes too, not just tinkering a bit. Brand new front wing, brand new floor etc. That was 4 tenths (we think), and clearly making up for the lack of upgrades on the launch spec McL. Ferrari's launch spec was a far bigger step from the SF-23, and from what we've seen so far the upgrade is not as extensive as the Macca IMO. And then you had the Italian media for a long time saying they were expecting 2-3 tenths before they suddenly changed their tune and increased that as we got closer, is that genuine or just a bit of extra hype so that the same outlets can sell you the same story twice? Who knows. I am expecting 2-3 tenths, but I wouldn't be shocked if it was slightly more or less, you never know for sure until they race.
McLaren had issues that needed to be rectified before they could start going after outright performance. A lot of the work they put into the upgrade package was probably not aimed at outright performance, but rather at addressing issues that have popped up at certain tracks, like tyre wear or a narrow setup window. Only after they solved those issues could they chase outright performance.

Ferrari doesn't have that issue. They have the most mild-tempered car of all this season. The thing is insanely kind on its tyres, appears to have a massive setup window, has worked on every track so far and appears to have no significant weaknesses. It's a great car with no weaknesses to iron out before they can start chasing performance.

That means the Ferrari upgrades are in all likelihood simply focused on increasing downforce and losing drag, which is a luxury McLaren didn't have. As such even a smaller upgrade can yield similar performance gains, as they don't have to focus on anything other than pure performance. Ferrari didn't need a revolution, they needed an evolution.

deadhead

Q3 can’t come soon enough..

CjC
CjC

deadhead wrote:
10 May 2024, 21:32
It’s certainly going to be the most intriguing one so far this season.
If McLaren gained 4ths, Ferrari 2/3ths, Red Bull ?ths
Could we see 5-6 driver/ 3 teams split by one and a half tenths for pole?? That would be epic!
So no doubt, Red Bulls upgrade will blow us Mclaren and Ferrari fans out of the water :wtf:
Just a fan's point of view

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

bananapeel23 wrote:
10 May 2024, 20:47
McLaren had issues that needed to be rectified before they could start going after outright performance. A lot of the work they put into the upgrade package was probably not aimed at outright performance, but rather at addressing issues that have popped up at certain tracks, like tyre wear or a narrow setup window. Only after they solved those issues could they chase outright performance.

Ferrari doesn't have that issue. They have the most mild-tempered car of all this season. The thing is insanely kind on its tyres, appears to have a massive setup window, has worked on every track so far and appears to have no significant weaknesses. It's a great car with no weaknesses to iron out before they can start chasing performance.

That means the Ferrari upgrades are in all likelihood simply focused on increasing downforce and losing drag, which is a luxury McLaren didn't have. As such even a smaller upgrade can yield similar performance gains, as they don't have to focus on anything other than pure performance. Ferrari didn't need a revolution, they needed an evolution.
This feels a bit like rewriting history. Ferrari has struggled with several issues this year, somewhat pervasively, in fact. Low speed corner performance has not been ideal, faster corner performance/quick changes of direction have not been up to snuff of the best, and the car finds itself out of the window for quick warmup of tires too often.

Nothing catastrophic or anything, and the car has been generally been pretty good, but it's hardly a 'no weakness' car where there's no issues to address.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

CjC wrote:
10 May 2024, 21:59
deadhead wrote:
10 May 2024, 21:32
It’s certainly going to be the most intriguing one so far this season.
If McLaren gained 4ths, Ferrari 2/3ths, Red Bull ?ths
Could we see 5-6 driver/ 3 teams split by one and a half tenths for pole?? That would be epic!
So no doubt, Red Bulls upgrade will blow us Mclaren and Ferrari fans out of the water :wtf:
Red Bull almost never miss with upgrades and they're expecting something bigger here, so yea, expect normal service to resume. Our biggest question is likely to be whether we can stay ahead of Mclaren or not.

Xyz22
Xyz22

I was considered pessimistic last year, but you guys are absolutely beating me right now. :D

bananapeel23

Seanspeed wrote:
10 May 2024, 22:06
bananapeel23 wrote:
10 May 2024, 20:47

This feels a bit like rewriting history. Ferrari has struggled with several issues this year, somewhat pervasively, in fact. Low speed corner performance has not been ideal, faster corner performance/quick changes of direction have not been up to snuff of the best, and the car finds itself out of the window for quick warmup of tires too often.

Nothing catastrophic or anything, and the car has been generally been pretty good, but it's hardly a 'no weakness' car where there's no issues to address.
Well yes, no car is totally free from issues. But out of the big 3 teams, Ferrari has had by far the least variation in track-specific performance. Never has the car looked weak at a track.

I guess what I meant is that it doesn't have any obvious fundamental flaws that have shown up. The Red Bull and McLaren cars appear to be setup princesses in comparison. They have both shown pretty significant performance highs and lows. Sometimes they struggle with tyre wear, sometimes with traction, sometimes with snap oversteer or understeer. Ferrari has been constantly good, but never exceptional.

What I mean to say is that it has been a reliable workhorse at every type of track it has been at so far. Surely that must give Ferrari a lot of confidence to chase pure performance across the board, rather than widening the setup window or ironing out fundamental flaws like tyre wear, which may only benefit them at certain tracks.

Then again, we said the same things about Aston Martin last season because the car seemed to be such a reliable platform and the package seemed to be really conservative. Everyone believed that it would be an easy platform to upgrade and squeeze performance out of, which turned out to be far from the truth.

Still I believe that cars that tend to be solid and predictable everywhere are generally easier to upgrade than temperamental cars like the W13 or F1-75 (post TD39).