2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Seanspeed
Seanspeed

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

Waz wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 13:19
Race operations from this team is a shambles every race. Without Alonso's brilliance they would be 8th in the WCC getting spanked by Haas.

Availability of tires or not, fitting softs was a bad choice, there's no proper excuse that changes that. If they're limited on options, that too, is down to poor race operations.

They're the new Ferrari.
Their aggressiveness in strategies seem to be fairly purposeful. Like, they know 2nd or even 3rd in the WCC is unlikely, and that the race pace seems to not be enough for podiums, so they're just rolling the dice hoping for some bigger payoffs here and there.

Big Gun
Big Gun

PinkFloydPulse wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 12:45
max_speed wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 11:27
I was so fedup did not watch last 12laps. Lost 3free points.
you basically missed the best part of Alonsos race and racecraft lol
And that save in turn 16... the guy has better than cat reflexes at 42 years young :D
Cant believe he kept his foot flat while going sidways and while still sliding sideways he still pressed the DRS button, what a talent!!!!

The Soft tyre at the safety car ruined his race, I thought they should just leave him on the Softs till the end and risk it, becuase he still kept Sainz more then 3 seconds behind him throughout the whole stint (incliding passing Sainz).

xReVo
xReVo

-wkst- wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 16:16
The wind tunnel won’t be online until August and according to Fallows the main development program will be moved in the new tunnel only around the end of the year, when they are happy with the correlation and all the other stuff…

So the 2025 car will still be a Brackley wind tunnel car.

2026 Runner will be the first full AMRTC car.
2025 will be another championship where Redbull dominates, putting effort into designing the car for that year makes no sense (just as it made no sense in 2021). Consequently, in August I hope that they will already be ahead with the 2026 development, otherwise it will be tough.

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

makecry
makecry

F1doc wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 11:58
Nikosar wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 11:40
Why the FIA is going mad with Aston... they penalized Alonso yesterday with 10 sec and -3 points ( a total of -6 after only 5 races) and today it was too much with Stroll 10 sec penalty and -2 penalty points......
Alonso had a bad deal yesterday with his penalty. Stroll deserved all of his, and arguably more.
100%. What's absurd is not Stroll's penalty but Fernando being penalized as much as he was.

-wkst-
-wkst-

xReVo wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 17:29
-wkst- wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 16:16
The wind tunnel won’t be online until August and according to Fallows the main development program will be moved in the new tunnel only around the end of the year, when they are happy with the correlation and all the other stuff…

So the 2025 car will still be a Brackley wind tunnel car.

2026 Runner will be the first full AMRTC car.
2025 will be another championship where Redbull dominates, putting effort into designing the car for that year makes no sense (just as it made no sense in 2021). Consequently, in August I hope that they will already be ahead with the 2026 development, otherwise it will be tough.
2025 will be a clear evolution, I do not think that many teams will work too much on the 2025 car in 2025. Furthermore I guess the chassis won’t change next year.

The new regs for 2026 are still not clear so noone can gamble on the new rules too early or will have a head start. So the development time for the 2026 will be very short and everyone will concentrate pretty early on it next year.

Tyre deg statistics are nonsense as ever without context. Last time ALO managed all the time, so it looked way better than it was. This time the other way round with stint 1, where ALO pushed like hell, and both drivers with softs…

Bisonas

xReVo wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 16:09
Bisonas wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 15:14
I don’t get why ppl are frustrated with the strategy and the tire choice. Even Rosberg at live coverage was saying kind of stupid things about it. But ok, i can understand that the commentators don’t have the whole picture about what ALO or AMR are doing but ok AMR strategists are not that stupid.

Well for some of us that do have the whole picture, with Live tv + Onboard & pitwall communications + Live timing is more easy to understand what’s really going ok.

As someone else said they didn’t have much of a choice at that point. The safety car forced their hand. They had to pit for new tires or they would have been exposed to more pain l8r on. Even if they had another brand new set of hards at that point, I don’t think (nor they I guess), that they could manage 27-30 laps to the end with competitive times. Not with their current tire deg anyway. Of course doing 27-30 laps on Mediums was also out of the question.

So.. at the first safety car the only real debate (for me at least) was going for soft first then medium, or medium first and soft at the end. Medium first was giving them a little more flexibility but soft first was giving them more chances to get ahead of SAI at the restart and try to make as much of a gap to him before the last pitstop. I think Soft first was the better/wiser choice at that point. Getting ahead of SAI was very crucial to them.

Now about the points. I hear ppl saying Alonso lost many points with that strategy etc etc. I don’t really think that he lost many points. IMO he just lost 1 point while giving RUS 2 more.

Let me explain.

Even If he could fit a brand new Hard at the Safety car, trying going to the end to emulate all the others, I have to remind you that he ended up at 6th position at the restart behind SAI. The only reason he got passed SAI was because he had new softs at the restart. So, even if he had new Hards, I find it very very difficult he could get ahead of the Ferrari at the restart because SAI hards wheren’t old at that point. They where just 8-9 laps old and 5 laps or so where under VSC or SC conditions. So basically SAI tires where just fine.
So IMO realistically best case scenario with new hards going to the end was for him to finish 6th behind SAI and get 8 points while RUS end up 7th and get 6 points. With their (forced due to circumstances I repeat) strategy they ended up 7th getting 6 Points + 1 point due to fastest lap = 7 points total. So they ended up minus 1 as I said. RUS on the other had instead of finishing 7th with 6 points he ended up 6th with 8 points so +2 for RUS as I said.

That’s it. For me it was a pretty good damage limitation and response to a very bad timed SC for them. Some may even argue that without the 2nd safety car, it may have been possible for them to also get RUS at the end and get near SAI. Who knows.

For me they did the absolute best thing they could have done at that point.
Sorry for the long post.
The only right strategy to do was to mount the mediums and finish the race with them, which was absolutely possible. The red ones make no sense in the race on any circuit, and above all it makes no sense in China which is one of the circuits that degrades the tires the most. 2 topic: I see many people complaining about Stroll because he damages Aston Martin in the WC, WOW as if anything changed for a team to finish 4 or 5 in the constructors' classification (with less hours in the wind tunnel among other things), you still haven't understood that the The only thing that matters is the drivers' championship (Redbull won it for only 3 years (now 4) with a single driver). 3rd topic: these sensational updates from Imola... first of all the problem with the Aston Martin which I have been saying since the beginning of the championship is the front suspension, another track front limited the slope and it highlights it clearly! And you can't solve this with updates (because you can't change the suspension). Let's also add that all the other teams will make Major upgrades for Imola, the final result: AM will be where it is now if not worse, perhaps it will even lose its qualifying advantage. Another gem, they have a worse top speed than Mercedes and McLaren, why is it superior in qualifying in your opinion? Due to the DRS effect, in fact without DRS it has less top speed than the other two motorized ones! So with this car getting a podium is almost impossible without adverse scenarios. Enough of the usual stuff, Aston Martin's problem isn't Stroll, end of story.
Obviously you know what kind of tyre deg they have better than they do. I am sorry for suggesting that 27-30 laps stint on mediums wasn't going to work with their tyre deg. They must be crazy not putting the mediums to try go to the end.

KimiRai
KimiRai

I also believe they did as best as they could with strategy. Anyways if the car had great race pace it wouldn't matter as much :D

Pitstops were worse than Suzuka, between high 2s and low 3s.

diffuser

alonsofan wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 09:19
diffuser wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 03:28
alonsofan wrote:
20 Apr 2024, 10:19
The bane of Alo's career has been that most of the time, he's always had a car 0.5s slower than the fastest car. :(

That's true for all drivers for most their careers.
Yes, but not all drivers are as deserving as Nando.
I don't disagree but others will say that's just a matter of opinion.

zoroastar
zoroastar

xReVo wrote:
Bisonas wrote:
I don’t get why ppl are frustrated with the strategy and the tire choice. Even Rosberg at live coverage was saying kind of stupid things about it. But ok, i can understand that the commentators don’t have the whole picture about what ALO or AMR are doing but ok AMR strategists are not that stupid.

Well for some of us that do have the whole picture, with Live tv + Onboard & pitwall communications + Live timing is more easy to understand what’s really going ok.

As someone else said they didn’t have much of a choice at that point. The safety car forced their hand. They had to pit for new tires or they would have been exposed to more pain l8r on. Even if they had another brand new set of hards at that point, I don’t think (nor they I guess), that they could manage 27-30 laps to the end with competitive times. Not with their current tire deg anyway. Of course doing 27-30 laps on Mediums was also out of the question.

So.. at the first safety car the only real debate (for me at least) was going for soft first then medium, or medium first and soft at the end. Medium first was giving them a little more flexibility but soft first was giving them more chances to get ahead of SAI at the restart and try to make as much of a gap to him before the last pitstop. I think Soft first was the better/wiser choice at that point. Getting ahead of SAI was very crucial to them.

Now about the points. I hear ppl saying Alonso lost many points with that strategy etc etc. I don’t really think that he lost many points. IMO he just lost 1 point while giving RUS 2 more.

Let me explain.

Even If he could fit a brand new Hard at the Safety car, trying going to the end to emulate all the others, I have to remind you that he ended up at 6th position at the restart behind SAI. The only reason he got passed SAI was because he had new softs at the restart. So, even if he had new Hards, I find it very very difficult he could get ahead of the Ferrari at the restart because SAI hards wheren’t old at that point. They where just 8-9 laps old and 5 laps or so where under VSC or SC conditions. So basically SAI tires where just fine.
So IMO realistically best case scenario with new hards going to the end was for him to finish 6th behind SAI and get 8 points while RUS end up 7th and get 6 points. With their (forced due to circumstances I repeat) strategy they ended up 7th getting 6 Points + 1 point due to fastest lap = 7 points total. So they ended up minus 1 as I said. RUS on the other had instead of finishing 7th with 6 points he ended up 6th with 8 points so +2 for RUS as I said.

That’s it. For me it was a pretty good damage limitation and response to a very bad timed SC for them. Some may even argue that without the 2nd safety car, it may have been possible for them to also get RUS at the end and get near SAI. Who knows.

Sorry for the long post.
The only right strategy to do was to mount the mediums and finish the race with them, which was absolutely possible. The red ones make no sense in the race on any circuit, and above all it makes no sense in China which is one of the circuits that degrades the tires the most. 2 topic: I see many people complaining about Stroll because he damages Aston Martin in the WC, WOW as if anything changed for a team to finish 4 or 5 in the constructors' classification (with less hours in the wind tunnel among other things), you still haven't understood that the The only thing that matters is the drivers' championship (Redbull won it for only 3 years (now 4) with a single driver). 3rd topic: these sensational updates from Imola... first of all the problem with the Aston Martin which I have been saying since the beginning of the championship is the front suspension, another track front limited the slope and it highlights it clearly! And you can't solve this with updates (because you can't change the suspension). Let's also add that all the other teams will make Major upgrades for Imola, the final result: AM will be where it is now if not worse, perhaps it will even lose its qualifying advantage. Another gem, they have a worse top speed than Mercedes and McLaren, why is it superior in qualifying in your opinion? Due to the DRS effect, in fact without DRS it has less top speed than the other two motorized ones! So with this car getting a podium is almost impossible without adverse scenarios. Enough of the usual stuff, Aston Martin's problem isn't Stroll, end of story.
but but but, you are future man! you should definitely go play the lottery if you are so certain of what the world is going to be like 2 months from now. there is no point in getting bent out of shape about something that hasnt even happened yet. perhaps the engineers at aston actually know something that we dont, and can actually bring updates that will help their race pace and tire deg. until they prove you right, theres no point in stressing an indefinite future as fact.
i always questioned their big push to develop their DRS so much, because in the race it rarely helps them against their main competitors. in the current situation, cars are passing alonso with their DRS while he has none. i hope that they didnt spend too much energy on that while neglecting other areas that could benifit them more often.

zoroastar
zoroastar

in the post race driver room, lando was commenting to max how bad alonso fell off from tire deg at the begining of the race. that was right before they saw the incident with lance for the first time. haha. bring back V10s and tires that last more than 5 laps. this is ridiculous

diffuser

zoroastar wrote:
22 Apr 2024, 01:05
xReVo wrote:
Bisonas wrote:

Let me explain.

Sorry for the long post.
but but but, you are future man! you should definitely go play the lottery if you are so certain of what the world is going to be like 2 months from now. there is no point in getting bent out of shape about something that hasnt even happened yet. perhaps the engineers at aston actually know something that we dont, and can actually bring updates that will help their race pace and tire deg. until they prove you right, theres no point in stressing an indefinite future as fact.
i always questioned their big push to develop their DRS so much, because in the race it rarely helps them against their main competitors. in the current situation, cars are passing alonso with their DRS while he has none. i hope that they didnt spend too much energy on that while neglecting other areas that could benifit them more often.
situation is...
Lap 23
34 laps to go......

- The hards they have on will take 4 ever to warm up and will not make it to the end of the race. They were probably expecting to get another 10 laps out of the hards.
- The mediums will not get them to the end of the race.
- no more hards
- 1 set of new mediums.
- 1 set of new softs.

What do you do?

I think the mediums first was a better Idea. not sure why they decided to put 20 laps on softs and 14 on the medium.

There is a big unknown in how much faster the mediums wear if you need to put alot of pressure on them to pass people.

diffuser

zoroastar wrote:
22 Apr 2024, 01:50
in the post race driver room, lando was commenting to max how bad alonso fell off from tire deg at the begining of the race. that was right before they saw the incident with lance for the first time. haha. bring back V10s and tires that last more than 5 laps. this is ridiculous
You do know that the hard tire at this track was the C2 and they do make a C1...

This race came down to it falling into Norris's strategy. That he got a free pit stop and Alonso's strategy was put into no man's land. Doesn't Matter which tire you put on the cars , The McLaren was faster today. No matter how many things you post without giving it any thought will change that.

Bisonas

diffuser wrote:
22 Apr 2024, 01:55
zoroastar wrote:
22 Apr 2024, 01:05
xReVo wrote:

situation is...
Lap 23
34 laps to go......

- The hards they have on will take 4 ever to warm up and will not make it to the end of the race. They were probably expecting to get another 10 laps out of the hards.
- The mediums will not get them to the end of the race.
- no more hards
- 1 set of new mediums.
- 1 set of new softs.

What do you do?

I think the mediums first was a better Idea. not sure why they decided to put 20 laps on softs and 14 on the medium.

There is a big unknown in how much faster the mediums wear if you need to put alot of pressure on them to pass people.
As i said above, Soft medium, or medium soft was the only real debate, and as i explained above i believe soft first was the better/wiser choice. Getting ahead of SAI at the restart was crucial and soft gave them their best chance to do it. After getting ahead he managed to open a gap and maintain a gap at 3.5sec and he was running in free air helping him manage the softs as best he could. That was the only reason he managed to do so many laps on softs. So getting ahead was crucial. They couldn't risk to get stuck behind SAI with mediums. As i mentioned SAI hards where also in very good shape at that point.

In the scenario that he had put on mediums and failed to pass SAI, he would have stressed the tires trying to do it for a few laps, and then he would have been forced to abandon the effort to pass him, staying 2sec behind SAI in order to manage the mediums to a certain amount of laps. SAI then could have relax his pace and manage his tires even better keeping Hamilton Piastri and Russel even closer behind Alonso.

So again, getting ahead of SAI at the restart in order to run in free air, try open a gap and force SAI RUS to also up their pace (a bit) behind him was very very crucial for the team so IMO they just gave him the tyre which had the better chances to do it.

diffuser

Makes sense and they wait 20 laps to allow the spread to grow. To have a bigger gap and few cars to pass.

I did notice that if you factor in a regular pit stop time, Alonso was ahead of Norris on lap 20. So without a safety car. Norris would have come outbehind Alonso.