2023 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 21 - 23

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: 2023 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 21 - 23

Willy wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 17:59
Just_a_fan wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 17:48
Willy wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 17:38
Schumacher chop? How much more?

https://i.postimg.cc/9FZFTHR0/START.png
That was as far over as they went, wasn't it? No driver would have a problem with that much room being left.

This is what Schumacher did:
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/scaled/ ... 08x185.jpg
This is the onboard shot from the same point on track. Remember they were much narrower cars and look at the shadow of tyres. It was definitely a very tight squeeze, but it happened at fairly rapid pace as it was a DRS overtake.

https://i.postimg.cc/xCqYsW-6w/incident.png
Exactly. What Schumacher did was borderline murderous. What Hamilton did at the start was standard start defence. Nothing that isn't done by every other driver. No idea why you felt it worthy of comment, frankly.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

cplchanb
cplchanb

organic wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 17:51
Just_a_fan wrote:
Willy wrote:

That was as far over as they went, wasn't it? No driver would have a problem with that much room being left.

That's not a Schumacher chop.

that's like the biggest example of an aggressive driver being over the limit in the middle of the race, but not the manoeuvre in question

Lewis didn't push max into the wall, but as far as race starts go Lewis was about as aggressive as you can be.

2:00

1:00

fine examples of the schumacher chop done properly

cplchanb
cplchanb

Willy wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
Willy wrote:

This is the onboard shot from the same point on track. Remember they were much narrower cars and look at the shadow of tyres. It was definitely a very tight squeeze, but it happened at fairly rapid pace as it was a DRS overtake.

ther was no DRS in 2010

cplchanb
cplchanb

Sieper wrote:
Hamilton is a better strategic thinker than Schumacher ever was.
france 2004 and hungary 1998 beg to differ. they were on par with hams top races.

Willy
Willy

Just_a_fan wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 18:03
Willy wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

Exactly. What Schumacher did was borderline murderous. What Hamilton did at the start was standard start defence. Nothing that isn't done by every other driver. No idea why you felt it worthy of comment, frankly.
I didn't. It was a reply to the other guy who stated it first. So it's a comparison exercise. It seems there is a dislike to Schumacher that is resulting in such blatant statement as "murderous", for something that was a fairly regular racing thing like not willing to back out from the inside on copse. There are so many borderline incidents where your dictionary can be used.

Willy
Willy

Sieper wrote:
Lewis' early career blunders doesn't reflect that. He started maturing post 2016 after Nico left that allowed him a lot more mental space. He still gets involved with Max though! Same can be said of Max.

Sieper

Willy wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 18:10
Sieper wrote:
Lewis' early career blunders doesn't reflect that. He started maturing post 2016 after Nico left that allowed him a lot more mental space. He still gets involved with Max though! Same can be said of Max.
Ok, I’ll give you that, he had his weird ones, but later career he only pushes over the limit when he really has too.

denyall

Other than engaging booster jets there was no way Merc finishes higher than 3rd this race and HAMs hard stint coupled with cooling requirements took the podium away.

Beating one of the McLarens was always the goal for Merc. They knew they couldn't fight RB and weren't even trying too.

organic

denyall wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 18:12
Other than engaging booster jets there was no way Merc finishes higher than 3rd this race and HAMs hard stint coupled with cooling requirements took the podium away.

Beating one of the McLarens was always the goal for Merc. They knew they couldn't fight RB and weren't even trying too.
I think beating Lando was possible if you look at each merc's pace after the first stint

Something made Lewis warm his tyres up in 2nd stint extremely slowly or an issue with the car at the time

Take out that weird evaporation of pace for a few laps and P2 would've been on the table. Merc were comfortably faster than McLaren from 2nd stint and beyond - think with heavy fuel they struggled a bit
Last edited by organic on 23 Jul 2023, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.

cplchanb
cplchanb

this race goes to show that the budget cap has created its own monster now. RB didnt really need to waste money on needless development to refine a winning car, yet the other teams are now hamstrung from catching up because they dont have the resources. sure this is a dominant season, but truthfully the result was already determined in the first few races. at least in 2020 there was an opportunity for other teams to fix their cars by mid season to challenge. this cap completely prevents that and essentially puts teams back at square 1 every year.

denyall

organic wrote:
denyall wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 18:12

I think beating Lando was possible if you look at each merc's pace after the first stint

Possible in hindsight, but going in I would have expected Merc to plan for Checo things and have a fight with the McLarens. Perhaps they thought p2 was possible.

T1 threw all that out the window and a surging Checo threw the podium out.

Bill
Bill

Mercedes are doing so many lift and coast during the race thats so 2016.these is not a recipe for going fast

organic

Bill wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 18:22
Mercedes are doing so many lift and coast during the race thats so 2016.these is not a recipe for going fast
Everyone does a lot of lift and coast. Especially at circuits where cooling is an issue

omegacel71

Did piastri have damage? Hamilton was almost 20 seconds up on him. Don't know why he is getting so hyped up for nothing when Norris is destroying in quali and race.

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

cplchanb wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 18:16
this race goes to show that the budget cap has created its own monster now. RB didnt really need to waste money on needless development to refine a winning car, yet the other teams are now hamstrung from catching up because they dont have the resources. sure this is a dominant season, but truthfully the result was already determined in the first few races. at least in 2020 there was an opportunity for other teams to fix their cars by mid season to challenge. this cap completely prevents that and essentially puts teams back at square 1 every year.
It was always gonna be disastrous to implement a cost cap at the same time as the biggest rule change of all time in the sport. This was bound to happen. Shame no one will remember a battle for P2 in races and championships, as that is all we will get until 2026 when it’s impossible for any team to properly bridge this kind of gap.

And yes, RB deserves this and everyone else have themselves to blame yada yada, Hamilton enjoyed a similar advantage in some years bla bla, but it was just as bad in the Hamilton days as in the Schumacher days as in the Vettel days.

A continuation of the 2021 rules would at the moment have a 4 team battle for the championship without doubt, and the racing would be just as good as today since DRS turned out to be decisive with these new rules anyway.