Ferrari SF-24

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
FDD
FDD

Re: Ferrari SF-24

Vinlarr89 wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 23:18
Any ideas what the purpose of this winglet is. Is it there as a flow conditioner of some sort?
Maybe conditioning the air flow to the beam wing, only guessing, aero guys will give better answers.
We are waiting for them :)

organic

Vinlarr89 wrote:
Any ideas what the purpose of this winglet is. Is it there as a flow conditioner of some sort?
Given its placement directly at the exit of the cannon outlet, it's probably improving the efficiency of the cooling package -> less cooling required -> more performance

falonso81

The carbon fiber weaving pattern of the rear wing DRS structure is different on the new picture. It is now horizontal on the round part of the structure around the exhaust and vertical on the vertical structure that goes up to the DRS actuator. Does this mean anything?

tok-tokkie
tok-tokkie

Vanja #66 wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 18:08

https://imgur.com/1wXjL5V.png
I am very grateful for this image. I had not appreciated how much downforce was supplied by the front of the underfloor. Having seen this the venturi expansion is blindingly obvious. Also that the outer vanes are there to create the sealing vortex at the edge of the floor. My appreciation of how the floor works is much improved.

I have, from the start, believed the Mercedes porpoising issues were caused by having a wide & shallow entry to the underfloor causing the sectional area to vary considerably & thus increase the downforce pulling it down till it stalled. Whereas Red Bull had a narrow but deep entry where the venturi was created by the converging sides (not between road & roof) so its downforce hardly varied as the ground clearance changed - thus no porpoising.

Many thanks

Vanja #66

tok-tokkie wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 09:17
I am very grateful for this image. I had not appreciated how much downforce was supplied by the front of the underfloor. Having seen this the venturi expansion is blindingly obvious. Also that the outer vanes are there to create the sealing vortex at the edge of the floor. My appreciation of how the floor works is much improved.

I have, from the start, believed the Mercedes porpoising issues were caused by having a wide & shallow entry to the underfloor causing the sectional area to vary considerably & thus increase the downforce pulling it down till it stalled. Whereas Red Bull had a narrow but deep entry where the venturi was created by the converging sides (not between road & roof) so its downforce hardly varied as the ground clearance changed - thus no porpoising.

Many thanks
I'm glad it was helpful :)
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Farnborough
Farnborough

organic wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 00:52
Vinlarr89 wrote:
Given its placement directly at the exit of the cannon outlet, it's probably improving the efficiency of the cooling package -> less cooling required -> more performance
There seems to be a "tab" already located slightly lower down in those comparison images (shown by downward shadow) which looks like they've just moved it up for this iteration now seen.

Farnborough
Farnborough

falonso81 wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 00:53
The carbon fiber weaving pattern of the rear wing DRS structure is different on the new picture. It is now horizontal on the round part of the structure around the exhaust and vertical on the vertical structure that goes up to the DRS actuator. Does this mean anything?
Usually, it does mean something. The weave, layup, direction etc will produce flex vs rigidity in different plane when altered like this.

It can bias the "deform" characteristic to different loading and resistance to torsion, flex and resonance.... that to different problems they are trying to correct (remember the really flappy "walking " vibrations they had) OR to produce movement in a controlled plane to their advantage.

Vanja #66

Some detail photos from Motorsport.com

#Aerogimli
#BlessYouLaddie

murphy
murphy

Is it true that Ferrari have a massive upgrade for the fourth race? Something that could be a game changer?

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

murphy wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 14:12
Is it true that Ferrari have a massive upgrade for the fourth race? Something that could be a game changer?
Most rumors I've seen say no big upgrade til Imola.

We will not actually know anything for certain until they come, or Ferrari confirms it themselves ahead of time.

FDD
FDD

falonso81 wrote:
It means literally nothing, material expert from racing industry (Italian, Werner) clarified that here on the forum, think it was 2 years ago on Ferrari car thread. You can find his and other experts from racing industry on the channel https://www.youtube.com/@Newsf1It

FDD
FDD

Vanja #66 wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 13:39
Some detail photos from Motorsport.com

https://cdn-8.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... etail.webp
Sidepod inlet has reduced height, or I am wrong?

Vanja #66

FDD wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 16:00
It means literally nothing, material expert from racing industry (Italian, Werner) clarified that here on the forum, think it was 2 years ago on Ferrari car thread. You can find his and other experts from racing industry on the channel https://www.youtube.com/@Newsf1It
Only in this case it doesn't have to mean anything, since this is just a fairing around a metal core bracket (RB19 in picture)

FDD wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 16:02
Sidepod inlet has reduced height, or I am wrong?
No changes since launch, we'll have to wait for Imola

#Aerogimli
#BlessYouLaddie

matteosc
matteosc

Farnborough wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 09:54
falonso81 wrote:
Usually, it does mean something. The weave, layup, direction etc will produce flex vs rigidity in different plane when altered like this.

It can bias the "deform" characteristic to different loading and resistance to torsion, flex and resonance.... that to different problems they are trying to correct (remember the really flappy "walking " vibrations they had) OR to produce movement in a controlled plane to their advantage.
True, but they may have "only" added or removed a layer externally. Usually contiguous layers have perpendicular fiber layouts.

Sevach
Sevach

The outer strake/barge board is very wobly(right side, next to the tire), is it broken or is this intended?