Red Bull RB20

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Espresso
Espresso

Re: Red Bull RB20

TEHNOS wrote:
12 Mar 2024, 17:02
Seems RBR has accumulated waste amount of knowledge regarding cooling arangements. They are turning around different cooling options like Lego bricks. Unlimited WT cooling testing time well spent.
I wonder if it is just shrinking down the overall cooling until serious drag reduction updates arrive soon?
Such a telented band. :mrgreen: =D>
Imho the lego bricks cooling arrangement cleared up the sidepod structure.
I suspect that at high speed the sidepods begin to create a little bit upward lift alleviating the suspension (countering the downward suction of the floor) and stabilising the platform (thus negating porpoising). It secondary effect is that is also helps to keeps the chassis from rolling (stabilizing in the longitudinal axis) in high speed corners.

tmoneyr007
tmoneyr007

venkyhere wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 12:18
@Farnborough,
Thanks for your replies.. to further dispel any doubts, can we use the diagram below, as reference ?

The mappings I am able to do, from inlets to outlets are :
inlet# --> component --> exit#

4 --> IC engine ---> exhaust
5 --> radiator (unknown) --> ?
3 --> radiator (unknown) --> 3
1 --> water radiator (sidepod) --> ?
1 --> air to air IC (sidepod) --> ?
2 --> <what thing> --> ?

What is the <what thing>
How do air exits 1,2,4,5,6 get mapped to each of the ? above
Saudi (1-4/1)

Stu

tmoneyr007 wrote:
13 Mar 2024, 00:48
venkyhere wrote:
@Farnborough,
Thanks for your replies.. to further dispel any doubts, can we use the diagram below, as reference ?
https://i.imgur.com/Y2UIBff.png

2 --> <what thing> --> ?

What is the <what thing>
Saudi (1-4/1)
https://i.imgur.com/ULl5rDU.jpeg
I’m not sure whether it is a small change in the angle of the shot, but what we are assuming is a cooling matrix behind the HALO seems to be at a different angle/orientation in the Saudi spec to the launch/Bahrain spec (the inlet ducting does look to have a different profile).
Other than that the large duct from the upper sidepod matrix is totally different (& what’s more, no physical method of utilising it in conjunction with the HALO matrix outlet duct).
Where does the HALO matrix outlet duct go? Is it doing double duty?
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Farnborough
Farnborough

hollus wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 20:54
https://i.imgur.com/UrUMmlZ.jpeg

This is from Verstappen's car in the Bahrain grid. I don't remember seeing these exits so clear before.
The shoulder entry to pair of cooling matrix now appears to go out through this exit in hollus' post a little further back in this thread.

Low angle view on recent photo obscure the exact detail, but the tabs for mounting spine bodywork suggest this doesn't combine shoulder with centreline, just exiting in base of valley between "cannon" and centreline architecture.

RB notes for Jeddah state a reduction in cooling, I thought. Maybe this config trades a little temperature reduction for ultimate speed and general running with high airflow from typical track pace at Jeddah v Bahrain.

They still look separated though in outlet with the aft section of cannon being primarily from sidepod cooling and screened from front end containing the shoulder cooling.

matteosc
matteosc

tmoneyr007 wrote:
venkyhere wrote:
@Farnborough,

2 --> <what thing> --> ?

What is the <what thing>
Saudi (1-4/1)
Interesting scheme. Do you think inlet 3 could be connected with outlet 3,4 or 5, depending on the configuration and/or cooling requirements?

venkyhere
venkyhere

venkyhere wrote:
05 Mar 2024, 12:34
Thanks @Farnborough & @Henk_v
I have cleaned up the image :
https://i.imgur.com/Qt0pOe5.png

Based on conjecture so far ,

inlet# --> component --> outlet#
4 --> ICU --> 1 (exhaust)
4---> Engine compartment --> 6 (main) & 2 (outlet to suck the hot ambient air out)
5 --> Centerline cooling ---> 4
1 --> water radiator (sidepod) --> 6 & 5
1 --> air to air IC (sidepod) --> 6 & 5
2 --> <what thing> --> 4b, behind the gills are massive outlets

I wonder whether exit #4b and exit #2 in the above paths, must be swapped.

Total inlet "sets" = 4+5(pair)+1(pair)+2(pair)+3(pair) = 9
Total outlet "sets" = 1+6+2(pair)+4(pair)+4b(pair)+5(pair)+3(pair) = 12
Based on circuit requirements the total number of each can change.
This is the updated diagram, with much cleaner markings and the inlet to outlet mapping (in the quoted post) based on consensus in the thread until then. Kindly take forward the discussion with references to this.
When they closed off exits 3,5 and opened up a revised exit 4, for Saudi ; I wonder where the inlet 3 air was extracted out of ? the revised exit 4 or 6 itself ?

Farnborough
Farnborough

"When they closed off exits 3,5 and opened up a revised exit 4, for Saudi ; I wonder where the inlet 3 air was extracted out of ? the revised exit 4 or 6 itself ?"

Looks like entirely through 4 as the shield now coming off the rear of the cooling matrix (was directed as we clearly saw to external) now directly to 4 and screened from going down the tube to rear of car. That "shield" can be seen, obliquely, going to form the "gutter" in the base of the valley now.

venkyhere
venkyhere

4---> Engine compartment --> 6 (main) & 2 (outlet to suck the hot ambient air out)
2 --> <what thing> --> 4b

OR

4---> Engine compartment --> 6 (main) & 4b (outlet to suck the hot ambient air out)
2 --> <what thing> --> 2

Which set looks likely, or both don't ?

matteosc
matteosc

Farnborough wrote:
13 Mar 2024, 17:26
"When they closed off exits 3,5 and opened up a revised exit 4, for Saudi ; I wonder where the inlet 3 air was extracted out of ? the revised exit 4 or 6 itself ?"

Looks like entirely through 4 as the shield now coming off the rear of the cooling matrix (was directed as we clearly saw to external) now directly to 4 and screened from going down the tube to rear of car. That "shield" can be seen, obliquely, going to form the "gutter" in the base of the valley now.
Yes, that is exactly what I meant. It looks like they can heavily tune cooling vs performance, depending on the need.

PlatinumZealot

tmoneyr007 wrote:
venkyhere wrote:
@Farnborough,

2 --> <what thing> --> ?

What is the <what thing>
Saudi (1-4/1)
I see something very interesting here! They changed the horizontal cooler core by the airbox. Pretty cool. meaning they have different fins spacings probably for different drag and cooling levels?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Vanja #66

Emag wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 11:43
But then you got RedBull using the centerline for Newey knows reasons. And it's not like they thinned the sidepods either.
It's not really a secret, they want to maximise the amount of air going down and outside the undercut to improve outwash, floor edge and diffuser performance. They felt like they maxxed out the final inlet design on RB19, so they decided to reverse from underbite to overbite design and moved some radiators to reduce the sidepod inlet surface.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Farnborough
Farnborough

These two images I found illustrative of chassis evolution in RB terms.

Both front and rear areas that lay outside wheel centres (not contained within wheel base dimension) APPEAR to be getting less "content" as infrastructure looks to be moved more in direction of centralisation of mass, that's along the chassis, front to rear orientation.
Focus in comments has offered conjecture about height in CoG terms, but ignored this detail that's an important element of chassis dynamics and how the whole vehicle is able to be turned more effectively with the download available to them.

Simply more setup options in optimization of platform.

The front bulkhead and rear crash structure are notably "clean" showing less distribution of collateral component in the design. Lookng up into rear cavity shows just how far forward the top of rear suspension pushrod design elements sit in overall chassis positioning.

A very logical migration and packaging to be (even if they stayed the same) leveraged by aero surfaces and bringing subtle /incremental advantage to track pace.

Doing things like this simply allows the same pace for longer from a given tire,, or increased pace with less tire degradation throughout that period.

Vanja #66

Some detail photos from Motorsport.com

And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

organic

This is Friday and can see Saudi beamwing (featuring slot gap separator) was run with the more loaded medium df rear wing.

On Saturday they changed to Bahrain BW with lower DF rear and front wings

Bill
Bill

redbull changed its brake supplier these year wonder max problems are related to these change