Technical Regulations for 2009-2015

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
xpensive
xpensive

Re: Technical Regulations for 2009-2015

strad wrote:
Holm86 wrote:4 bars at idle? dont believe that....
Seemed huge to me as well but that's what one of the ex drivers,,I don't remember for sure which said and if you ever saw them run in anger it's believable ,,I don't remember the total boost but it was equally shocking.
More like 4 psi perhaps? But seriously, the Audi Sport Quattro S1 of 1985 had 500+ Hp from the 2.1 liter I5-turbo, but I doubt if the boost was more than 1.5 - 2.0 Bar, even at full song?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

gridwalker
gridwalker

Even the all-conquering 1988 McLaren MP4/4 only ran at 2.5 bar maximum ...

5.5 bar seems to have been the maximum pressure that was run during F1's turbo era, and that was only for short bursts during qualifying (with the risk of catastrophic failure).

4 bar at idle sounds quite ludicrous to me!
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

WhiteBlue

Turbo technology today is completely different to the eighties. You have variable vane geometries and electrically controlled turbochargers that eliminate turbo lag.

web page for this device
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

strad

WhiteBlue wrote:Turbo technology today is completely different to the eighties. You have variable vane geometries and electrically controlled turbochargers that eliminate turbo lag.

web page for this device
That Audi invented..
I ain't about to argue but it was on TVs Goodwood coverage maybe three years ago. and IF I can find the tape I'll capture it. The boost was off the charts...
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

aral
aral

gridwalker wrote:Even the all-conquering 1988 McLaren MP4/4 only ran at 2.5 bar maximum ...

5.5 bar seems to have been the maximum pressure that was run during F1's turbo era, and that was only for short bursts during qualifying (with the risk of catastrophic failure).

4 bar at idle sounds quite ludicrous to me!
One of the reasons to turn away from turbos in F1, was due to the fact that the engines were becoming ancilliary to the turbos. In other words, the turbo was acting like a turbine, drivinbg four pistons to re convert back to circular motion.

WhiteBlue

gilgen wrote:One of the reasons to turn away from turbos in F1, was due to the fact that the engines were becoming ancilliary to the turbos. In other words, the turbo was acting like a turbine, drivinbg four pistons to re convert back to circular motion.
This rather sounds like poetry than tech talk to me.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

godlameroso

Is KERS going to last longer than 6 seconds next year? What about for 2013? It would be a nice idea to instead of making KERS a push to pass, it would work seamlessly with the engine. That way you could eliminate turbo lag, just compliment the engine with the electric motor to improve low-end torque, without affecting top end speed. You could have the torque of a diesel, with the revs of a petrol. On the other hand, you could also use the KERS to boost high RPM torque; and I'm pretty sure you could change all of this as easy as you can change an engine map.

You could even go as far as having a hybrid economy mode. I think it's entirely possible, seeing as how the electric motor is connected to the drivetrain, to use the electric motor so as to remove any strain the engine has. Meaning that the electric motor only works to offset the pumping losses of the engine, thereby, hopefully improving it's efficiency.
Saishū kōnā

aral
aral

godlameroso wrote:Is KERS going to last longer than 6 seconds next year? What about for 2013? It would be a nice idea to instead of making KERS a push to pass, it would work seamlessly with the engine. That way you could eliminate turbo lag, just compliment the engine with the electric motor to improve low-end torque, without affecting top end speed. You could have the torque of a diesel, with the revs of a petrol. On the other hand, you could also use the KERS to boost high RPM torque; and I'm pretty sure you could change all of this as easy as you can change an engine map.

You could even go as far as having a hybrid economy mode. I think it's entirely possible, seeing as how the electric motor is connected to the drivetrain, to use the electric motor so as to remove any strain the engine has. Meaning that the electric motor only works to offset the pumping losses of the engine, thereby, hopefully improving it's efficiency.
There is NO turbo lag on modern engines. And if the exhaust blown diffuser is continued, the engine revs will be kept up electronically, there would be absolutely no way that full boost would not always be instantly available.

WhiteBlue

godlameroso wrote:Is KERS going to last longer than 6 seconds next year?
KERS specification for 2011 is identical to 2009. 60kW power and 400 kJ. The power to weight ratio will change slightly. The Merc KERS is rumored to weight only 21 kg instead of 26 kg in 2009. There is also 20 kg more ballast as the minimum weight has gone up from 620 to 640 kg. It is expected that all teams will run KERS. User Professor posted some info on probable 2013 KERS figures.

http://www.formula1journal.com/2010/09/ ... lood1.html

It means that all wheel KERS would collect up to 2.2 MJ/lap from front and rear and release it in 19.6 s at a rate of 112 kW.

wesley123
wesley123

Did Merc have kers? I thought it was an McLaren-Zytek joint and not Merc
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

I think Merc are developing the standardised KERS system for 2011.

WhiteBlue

wesley123 wrote:Did Merc have kers? I thought it was an McLaren-Zytek joint and not Merc
The 2009 KERS components were developed by MBHPE Ltd and not by McLaren. There are numerous sources for that fact. One of them is the 2009 annual report that shows an impairment for a capitalized KERS development that should have been depreciated by use in 2010 and wasn't used.

wesley123
wesley123

I am very sure i have read an article, which was from mclaren, explaining that the KERS they ran was an Zytek system.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

You are correct, it was a Zytec system in 2009.

WhiteBlue

Very likely a desinformation campaign. In doubt always follow the money trail. MBHPE reported 90 mil development charge for KERS in 2008. McLaren probably also had some development cost but nowhere near the money MBHPE had.