Mercedes GP - Inauguration and 1st season

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
xpensive
xpensive

Re: Mercedes GP

Oh that poor little thang Schu...they should change the rules just for him! :lol:

"If you can drive you can drive, period."
Mario Andretti
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Why do you think all the teams agreed to a mandatory weight distribution?
What was the reason x?
More could have been done.
David Purley

xpensive
xpensive

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Why do you think all the teams agreed to a mandatory weight distribution?
What was the reason x?
Probably just to make life miserable for MS, now that everybody knows that he cannot drive properly unless the car is micrometered to his constitution and affection, the poor little thang. :lol:
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

aral
aral

Re: Mercedes GP MGP W01

siskue2005 wrote:I will post this again for those who still have doubt

its actually there , and was reported in formula1.com site
here is the link

I am sure the FIA has the perfect source for what is happening with Merc's F-duct
and this
http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/ ... 0/758.html

Mercedes GP's F-Duct system, which was introduced in China, has received an upgrade in Turkey. It can now be activated by the driver's foot thanks to a bigger duct on the side of the chassis (blue arrow). This was previously much smaller and used to cool the drivers. The system of pipes used to direct the air to the rear wing is very complicated and they are all concealed by the engine cover, eventually reaching the wing's main profile through the side endplates.
Am I missing something here? The duct is shown as being on the right hand side of the car, therefore it would have to be activated by the right foot, which is actually operating the accellerator. Seems impossible to me. I still believe that it is hand operated on the left hand cockpit side.

horse

gilgen wrote:Am I missing something here? The duct is shown as being on the right hand side of the car, therefore it would have to be activated by the right foot, which is actually operating the accellerator. Seems impossible to me. I still believe that it is hand operated on the left hand cockpit side.
Well, you could have two inputs. One to feed the wing and a second to operate a switch similar to the McLaren system. The switch feed could be on the other side of the cockpit. Complicated job though, and I'm surprised they've put so much effort into this given they're supposed to be 100% on next years car and there will be no f-ducts next year.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

Morteza

Mercedes got two inputs as it can be seen in these two pics here (The pics are from German GP):

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

segedunum
segedunum

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:I forgot, who was on pole? A ferrari engined car.
Yep. Not a Renault engined car this time and one that managed to gain 15 horsepower this season. What's this got to do with it?
Who outqualified Hamilton? Webber in a renault engined Red Bull.
Nowhere near pole position, as they have been.

Where are you going with this? The obvious conclusion is the Renault powered cars are lacking the characteristics for Monza - ergo power.
And Renault have not consistently outperformed Mercedes, as the table and qualifying will testify, so why should that change for Monza?
The problem is Petrov. Mercedes have two top line paid drivers, so like I've said before, given that they're going to need a rearguard action to defend fourth from Renault for the rest of the season it's not a great comparison. Remember, they are another team who nearly didn't exist and should have more limited resources. :lol:

EDIT: Now if the Raikkonen rumours are true for next season and Renault have two no-nonsense competitive drivers, that would worry me.
Last edited by segedunum on 14 Sep 2010, 16:10, edited 2 times in total.

segedunum
segedunum

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Why do you think all the teams agreed to a mandatory weight distribution?
What was the reason x?
Probably because they know it isn't enforceable, as usual. Mercedes will stick to it and be nowhere. The other teams are also secretly laughing at Mercedes if they think this will solve what has obviously been an aerodynamic imbalance in their car this season.

WhiteBlue

The teams agreed to check the weight distribution for one year by scrutineering prior to qualifying. Teams that show up with a weight distribution out of tolerance will be out of the race.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

747heavy

is this for the empty car or with driver and fuel (how much)?
What is the tolerance? +/- 1% ?
Thanks
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

WhiteBlue

747heavy wrote:is this for the empty car or with driver and fuel (how much)?
What is the tolerance? +/- 1% ?
Thanks
Scrutineering never weights the car with the driver. So it would be almost certain that the distribution applies to the car alone. And yes, I recall a tolerance of +/- 1%. I don't know about fuel but one assumes that fuel cells will be in the center of gravity anyway.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

747heavy

so some drivers will have possibly a advantage then, with a better W/D then there team mates
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

WhiteBlue

747heavy wrote:so some drivers will have possibly a advantage then, with a better W/D then there team mates
Yep, bad news for the big boys, I guess. I assume they will allow change of ballast for the race (which would be different to current park ferme rules). At least the weight distribution is not supposed to be checked after the race.

marcush.
marcush.

what is not enforceable with a weight distribution?

marcush.
marcush.

After all the lack of success has not stopped to attract sponsoship recently:
Deutsche Post
and tba soon:
Allianz will engage in Mercedes as strategic sponsorship..

It does not look like Schumachers on track performance does any bad to them at this time...