Have We Seen the End of Days For Quali???

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Have We Seen the End of Days For Quali???

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91312

Jarno has some pretty valid points here. And im wondering if Quali needs a change, again or just a slight polish off for the Pirelli era??

I was thinking about changing Quali to 4 sessions where 6 drop out each session, and that means the driver up the front have to use up their tires like mad.

**OR**

What id do is make Q2 matter for Q3, and make it that the order that drivers qualify for Q3 from Q2 is the order they must go out in. If a driver sets a P1 time in Q2, and comes in P2 they go out for a Q3 in a single lap shoot-out style second last. OR... Double Jepordy anyone, how about the guy that makes it P10 from Q2 goes out last in Q3???

How can Quali matter again, as Quali with thees Pirellis is starting to look meaningless over race strategy.

Tozza Mazza

Re: Have We Seen the End of Days For Quali???

I say back to the days of '03, where we had a qualifying session to determine the order of the real qualifying session, and each driver gets just one lap, you could then save some options on day 1 if you're confident, but may lose out on track quality on day two. plus there is no room for mistakes. i found it more enjoyable, although there's no scramble if there's a red flag, which i also do enjoy.

danmtb951

I think this is an easy fix. Give all Q3 drivers a special set of qualifying only option tires.

BAM there's your excitement - with the fastest qualifiers battling for pole.
Last edited by danmtb951 on 10 May 2011, 20:34, edited 1 time in total.

Rob01
Rob01

Qualifying is still very important. Doing it on one lap is fine with me.

agip

Just delete the rule that drivers must use the same tyre in race and qualy.

bhall
bhall

Rather than correct a byproduct of gimmicky rules with yet another gimmick, why not limit all drivers to one set of tires for qualifying which they will then use to start the race? It's nice and symmetrical, so to speak, and poses some interesting choices vis-a-vis starting position and race strategy.

EDIT: Nevermind. That's an awful idea.

danmtb951

Interesting proposition bhall however I think this would then lead to a flood of early pit stops from the front runners and there would be too inconsistent of a pit strategy across all drivers... too much tactics & more confusing IMO.

I think it should be looked at as a bonus to qual for Q3 - so they get their special set to really put down some great times. Vettel/Weber wouldn't have been able to pull their early exit move they did at Turkey. It would be a very straight forward change & not gimmicky IMO.

EDIT: Lol to your edit :D

HampusA

No no and no.

As we see in the races, starting on front row is very beneficial to the race..
The truth will come out...

beelsebob
beelsebob

HampusA wrote:No no and no.

As we see in the races, starting on front row is very beneficial to the race..
I said this in the Turkey race thread too... I'm intregued still about whether the perfect webber can work

Use hards for Q1, softs for Q2 and then hards again for Q3.

You'll probably qualify 10th, but you'll have 2 sets of fresh softs to use, and you'll run in clean air for the entire first phase of the race (as the guys in P1-9 disappear on their softs), and in fact, should continue in fairly clean air after the stops. The only query from it is whether you can manage to pull off the big overtakes needed at the end of the race. I'd love to see either hamilton or alonso try this, both have the agression to make the passes stick.

WhiteBlue

Qualli is fine now. Stop the attempts to fix what is not broken. Just lean back and enjoy the show. At least that is my pov.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

HampusA

Beelsebob: True but there might be a chance the guys behind you get past aswell causing you to over use your hard tire which leads to pitting at the same time ish as the option guys.

DRS is a tricky thing that doesn´t always ensure you stay ahead ;) Then add the pirellis that gets suicidal as soon as you miss treat them.

Like you say, Q is just as important as before. Vettel is a testament to that. If he would have started 3rd or 4th he probably wouldn´t have as many wins as he has.

beelsebob
beelsebob

HampusA wrote:Beelsebob: True but there might be a chance the guys behind you get past aswell causing you to over use your hard tire which leads to pitting at the same time ish as the option guys.
I doubt it – if they get past they should disappear fast. A random thought re overtaking at the end... We're talking about brand new sticker softs against worn hards, and DRS. It's not like the passing at the end should be hard.

HampusA

I´m talking about the start for instance. If your on hards (lower grip right at the start)
Your chance of getting overtaken into T1 is alot higher.
Thus creating more problems to solve and more people to overtake.
Last edited by HampusA on 10 May 2011, 22:50, edited 1 time in total.

danmtb951

I think that Trulli's point of it not being as exciting is valid though. Especially with Vettel/Webber sitting out after one hot lap, and then the rest following suit to conserve rubber - which is directly because of the current tire rules.

I would much rather see them try to rip off their absolute best lap just for the sake of competition, through the entire Q3 session.

Caito
Caito

I believe nothing should be done. But something they do here in Argentina is give points to the poleman. That way there's a bigger carrot for pole.

I like 1 lap quali, it must be lots of pressure and very difficult for a driver. Knowing that you can go and do just a lap which must be your absolute best. If you do more laps, you lose tires for the race.
Come back 747, we miss you!!