Ferrari extend Alonso contract to 2016

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Mr Alcatraz

Ferrari extend Alonso contract to 2016

Interesting that they announced Massa's extension the day before, some kind of psychology there?
As for Alonso; like him or not I think he is great for the game.
Thoughts?
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

Rob01

Re: Ferrari extend Alonso contract to 2016

Perfect fit. Now they can show him all of the Ferrari manuals and the stuff he missed while at McLaren. Joking aside. Where else would he go?

HampusA

Smart thing to do, the most complete driver on the grid for now imo.

I wish they would sign Hamilton for some reason, or Kubica. I think they would do great things there. Especially Hamilton seeing as he´s black etc, it would be a new thing for Ferrari etc.
The truth will come out...

DaveKillens

Rob01 wrote:Perfect fit.
Yup, Fernando is considered by many to be the most complete Formula One driver walking the grid (notwithstanding Schumacher who's status is under question) and naturally, Ferrari is one of the top teams. Fernando's focus and determination matches his team's, and judging by his history with the team so far, good things will happen.

Fernando has expressed a desire to finish his career at Ferrari, and the news of this contract aligns all the planets. So far in his career, he really hasn't spent long at any one team, but now it all changes. He was with Minardi in 2001, Renault from 2002 to 2006, McLaren in 2007, back to Renault for 2 years, and finally nested at Ferrari.

Now, all Fernando has to concern himself with is just going quick and winning. He doesn't have to concern himself about contracts or having to fit into a new team, or even have to establish himself as the dominant driver.

I don't think it's going to a repeat of history, but this is similar to when Michael Schumacher first joined Ferrari, and they threw their support and resources behind him for a long period of time. And we all know how that turned out ... :roll:

For Ferrari, they are now in a scenario similar to Schumacher's, where if they chose, to deliberately name a number one driver, and structure the entire team strategy around him.

Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

timbo

Tazio wrote:Interesting that they announced Massa's extension the day before, some kind of psychology there?
Did they? Missed this one.

hollus

They just waited to the day before the Spanish weekend to announce Alonso. So it fills the most headlines during Friday and Saturday, specially in Spain. A logical moment to let the news out.
Rivals, not enemies.

Mr Alcatraz

timbo wrote:
Tazio wrote:Interesting that they announced Massa's extension the day before, some kind of psychology there?
Did they? Missed this one.
http://www.sportingo.com/motorsport/a20 ... -next-year
Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo has confirmed that Brazilian driver Felipe Massa will definitely still be with the ‘Prancing Horse’ next season.
I don't know if this is a vote of confidence or a one year extension, as I am not familiar with Massa's existing contract. If his current contract is through 2012 than this could just as easily be the kiss of death from Luca. Still interesting it was announced the day before Fred's contract extension.
Perhaps Luca just wanted to give FM a little love as the Alonso deal was announced 8)
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

siskue2005

DaveKillens wrote:
Rob01 wrote:Perfect fit.
Yup, Fernando is considered by many to be the most complete Formula One driver walking the grid
Maybe by his fans
but i dont think its true anymore, as Lewis or arguably Vettel are much more complete than Alonso.

HampusA

I did not see Lewis or Hamilton do anything complete last year anyway when Alonso picked up 75 points at the end of the season and if it wasn´t for a freak situation at the last race would be the World Champion in his first year at Ferrari.

He was by far the coolest, the calmest at the end of the season last year.

Goran2812

HampusA, don't give them something to bite on... :)
Hatters gonna hate... ;)
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1

CHT
CHT

Just curious if Alonso purposely extent his contract to kill off any chance of Simon Fuller negotiating a mega deal for Lewis with Ferrari or a extension deal with Mclaren.

With Vettel contracted to RBR till 2014, and Newey preference of Webber to stay at RBR, I think Lewis will have no choice but to remain in Mclaren for awhile.

Guess there will be no more poker game to play on the negotiating table for SF.

beelsebob

CHT wrote:Just curious if Alonso purposely extent his contract to kill off any chance of Simon Fuller negotiating a mega deal for Lewis with Ferrari or a extension deal with Mclaren.

With Vettel contracted to RBR till 2014, and Newey preference of Webber to stay at RBR, I think Lewis will have no choice but to remain in Mclaren for awhile.

Guess there will be no more poker game to play on the negotiating table for SF.
Why would Hamilton want to move to Ferrari? The only team there's been even vague interest expressed about has been RBR, and that's only because they have Newey. Other than that, he seems 100% committed to staying at McLaren, and why wouldn't he be?

HampusA

I think all drivers dream of once in their career to drive for the prancing horse.
I know Vettel would like it, Hamiltons loyalty doesn't seem that strong nowadays.

beelsebob

HampusA wrote:I think all drivers dream of once in their career to drive for the prancing horse.
I know Vettel would like it, Hamiltons loyalty doesn't seem that strong nowadays.
Personally, I doubt that. I think many prancing horse fans would like to think that all drivers are prancing horse fans though.

HampusA

Why do you assume i´m a die hard Ferrari fan? Actually i´m a die hard BMW fan but since they are out i just enjoy the show more or less.

Ferrari has been in F1 since the beginning, their road cars have been praised through time and they have a long history in not just F1 but Le Mans aswell.
What driver would not like to be apart of that history?

Statistically, Ferrari is the best team on the grid so just from that point of view not considering their history etc, it would be smart to sign with Ferrari sometime in your career.