Ferrari extend Alonso contract to 2016

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
beelsebob

Re: Ferrari extend Alonso contract to 2016

HampusA wrote:Why do you assume i´m a die hard Ferrari fan? Actually i´m a die hard BMW fan but since they are out i just enjoy the show more or less.

Ferrari has been in F1 since the beginning, their road cars have been praised through time and they have a long history in not just F1 but Le Mans aswell.
What driver would not like to be apart of that history?

Statistically, Ferrari is the best team on the grid so just from that point of view not considering their history etc, it would be smart to sign with Ferrari sometime in your career.
Statistics are no more than lies. Using stats I can prove that Brawn is the team to be with, look:

Brawn: Seasons raced: 1; Seasons won: 1; proportion won: 100%
Ferrari: Seasons raced: 61; Seasons won: 15; proportion won: 24.5%
Clearly Brawn is the team everyone wants to race for.

Or alternatively, I could cite that most deaths have happened in Ferrari cars, thus, by your logic, no one would ever want to drive for Ferrari because THEY'LL DIE.

The point I'm making is not that either of these is true, but that your point is equally bollocks.

The only reason (other than the normal ones) you might want to race for Ferrari now is that you have an emotional attachment to them. Hence the assumption of being a Ferrari fan – you clearly have an emotional attachment to them.

HampusA

So History is bollocks aswell?

I don´t have an emotional attchment to Ferrari, i just recognize their long history in Motorsport and what they have accomplished over the years.

You on the other hand seem to have hate towards Ferrari. And to clear things up again, no i´m not a fanboy and no i´m not a Ferrari fan. I´m an F1 fan. Would i like to drive for Ferrari some day? Of course, Would i like to drive for Mclaren some day? Of course.
Which would i pick? Ferrari no doubt.
The truth will come out...

beelsebob

HampusA wrote:So History is bollocks aswell?

I don´t have an emotional attchment to Ferrari, i just recognize their long history in Motorsport and what they have accomplished over the years.

You on the other hand seem to have hate towards Ferrari. And to clear things up again, no i´m not a fanboy and no i´m not a Ferrari fan. I´m an F1 fan. Would i like to drive for Ferrari some day? Of course, Would i like to drive for Mclaren some day? Of course.
Which would i pick? Ferrari no doubt.
What I'm getting at is that you seem to think that someone who is choosing which team to sign a contract for would actually genuinely think "You know what would screw over my rival the most... not letting them race for a team which they may or may not have an emotional attachment to." As if somehow not racing for Ferrari would mean more to Hamilton than anything else, like say... Alonso winning the championship again.

I mean, I know things get petty when it comes to Hamilton and Alonso, but this seems like a pretty enormous stretch of the imagination. I doubt either of them would be so petty as to make enormous financial decisions based on the idea that it might slightly upset their rival.

CHT
CHT

beelsebob wrote:
CHT wrote:Just curious if Alonso purposely extent his contract to kill off any chance of Simon Fuller negotiating a mega deal for Lewis with Ferrari or a extension deal with Mclaren.

With Vettel contracted to RBR till 2014, and Newey preference of Webber to stay at RBR, I think Lewis will have no choice but to remain in Mclaren for awhile.

Guess there will be no more poker game to play on the negotiating table for SF.
Why would Hamilton want to move to Ferrari? The only team there's been even vague interest expressed about has been RBR, and that's only because they have Newey. Other than that, he seems 100% committed to staying at McLaren, and why wouldn't he be?
I am sure Hamilton didnt pay Simon Fuller a cut of his income to show his loyalty to Mclaren. Even if Hamilton intend to see out his contract with Mclaren, I am sure it will benefit Hamilton greatly if there is other lucrative and attractive seat available for negotiation.

As for why he wouldnt be? I think lewis is extremely determine to proof to the world that he is the best driver of his time. And now that Vettel has beat him to be the youngest WDC and on his way to win another WDC, I am sure Lewis will have to make a decision on weather the his next WDC will be with Mclaren or other team.
Last edited by CHT on 20 May 2011, 13:07, edited 1 time in total.

beelsebob

CHT wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
CHT wrote:Just curious if Alonso purposely extent his contract to kill off any chance of Simon Fuller negotiating a mega deal for Lewis with Ferrari or a extension deal with Mclaren.

With Vettel contracted to RBR till 2014, and Newey preference of Webber to stay at RBR, I think Lewis will have no choice but to remain in Mclaren for awhile.

Why would Hamilton want to move to Ferrari? The only team there's been even vague interest expressed about has been RBR, and that's only because they have Newey. Other than that, he seems 100% committed to staying at McLaren, and why wouldn't he be?
I am sure Hamilton didnt pay Simon Fuller a cut of his income to show his loyalty to Mclaren. Even if Hamilton intend to see out his contract with Mclaren, I am sure it will benefit Hamilton greatly if there is other lucrative and attractive seat available for negotiation.
Agreed, just being able to play the "but, red bull/ferrari gave me this offer" card would be great for him... But suggesting Alonso extended his contract to piss off Hamilton, not, you know... because he likes Ferrari and they're paying him a lot of money to do what he wants to do. That's rather madness.

What I find odd in this is that I'm a die hard HAM fan... Why am I the one having to defend Alonso's honour here?

HampusA

beelsebob wrote:What I'm getting at is that you seem to think that someone who is choosing which team to sign a contract for would actually genuinely think "You know what would screw over my rival the most... not letting them race for a team which they may or may not have an emotional attachment to." As if somehow not racing for Ferrari would mean more to Hamilton than anything else, like say... Alonso winning the championship again.

I mean, I know things get petty when it comes to Hamilton and Alonso, but this seems like a pretty enormous stretch of the imagination. I doubt either of them would be so petty as to make enormous financial decisions based on the idea that it might slightly upset their rival.
What rival? Why mention anybody else then what team Hamilton would like to drive for in the future or what his dream team is apart from Mclaren? Or any other F1 driver for that matter,

The only thing you and i discussed was wether F1 drivers would like to drive for Ferrari some day in their career.
I said yes you said no, but then somehow you manage to start a whole bunch of other stuff for some reason talking about rivals and such.

Ferrari has a long history in the sport and is the most known F1 team in the world, hell it is F1 nowadays.

Let´s agree to disagree before you write an essay on a bunch of other stuff.

beelsebob

HampusA wrote:
beelsebob wrote:What I'm getting at is that you seem to think that someone who is choosing which team to sign a contract for would actually genuinely think "You know what would screw over my rival the most... not letting them race for a team which they may or may not have an emotional attachment to." As if somehow not racing for Ferrari would mean more to Hamilton than anything else, like say... Alonso winning the championship again.

What rival? Why mention anybody else then what team Hamilton would like to drive for in the future or what his dream team is apart from Mclaren? Or any other F1 driver for that matter,

The only thing you and i discussed was wether F1 drivers would like to drive for Ferrari some day in their career.
Note – the whole conversation was in relation to:

HampusA

Obviously not since you quoted me. But whatever, end of discussion.

Rob01

Ferrari team boss Stefano Domenicali says that Fernando Alonso's new deal through 2016 does not exclude the possibility of Lewis Hamilton joining the Italian team in that time.

Although Alonso's lengthy deal has been taken as a sign that Ferrari would be looking for a 'number two' driver to put alongside him, Domenicali said the door was always open to an established champion like Hamilton, regardless of Alonso's presence.

"I consider Lewis one of the top three drivers at the moment, the fastest drivers," Domenicali said.

Jeffsvilleusa

To throw a little fuel on the fire, I read the following quote on James Allen's site:
James Allen wrote:Lewis Hamilton’s reaction was fascinating; asked if he was sad that this meant he wouldn’t driver for Ferrari he said, “Why not?” He added that he would have no problem racing alongside Alonso again, although he doubted that the feeling was mutual. “I’ll beat him in a different car,” said Alonso’s 2007 McLaren team mate.
I was always a little sad that the McLaren pairing disintegrated so quickly- probably Alonso wouldn't be overjoyed to have Lewis partner him, but it is certainly the most sensational pairing IMO
Box! Box!

HampusA

I can´t see why not if they get equal machinery and fight fair, we know Hamilton is capable of doing that with two hardcore battles with Button both at Turkey.

I don´t think Alonso would mind if Ferrari came up to him and said that. It´s not really like when Senna and Prost had a discrete war between them

beelsebob

HampusA wrote:I can´t see why not if they get equal machinery and fight fair, we know Hamilton is capable of doing that with two hardcore battles with Button both at Turkey.
No, I think Hamilton would be well up for that.
HampusA wrote:I don´t think Alonso would mind if Ferrari came up to him and said that.
I'm less convinced of that.
HampusA wrote:It´s not really like when Senna and Prost had a discrete war between them
And very unconvinced of that.

DaveKillens

I doubt if Alonso or Ferrari took into consideration how the contract would impact the career of other drivers such as Vettel, Hamilton, Kubica, or anyone else. The deal stands pretty stout on it's own, bringing a formidable driver and a formidable team together for a long term partnership.

Of course they are aware of the impact on others, but unless you have a signed contract in your pocket, nothing is certain about any driver's career path. So you keep your options open, you constantly endeavor to improve the quality of your personnel, and you remain flexible towards future opportunities.

When you look at drivers who have a career that extends beyond ten years, you see that they move from team to team. It's rare when you see a driver enter Formula One and spend more than ten years there. Drivers move around, that's a fact of like. So speculation depend son tons of ever-changing factors.

For instance, if the pairing of Alonso and Massa with Alonso being treated like the number one driver yields success, Ferrari may decide they don't want a strong contender driver pairing with Alonso but instead one who is willing to act in a supporting role.

Who knows who goes where, heck in silly season we have trouble predicting a week into the future, speculating at this time is, as always, fun and engaging speculation.

But this is about Alonso, and Ferrari. I still think it's a fantastic pairing, and will bring a lot of excitement and interesting times not only to the fans who wave red flags, but all race fans.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.